Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3243 - 01/10/1999 04:19 EQ Questions ...
Nils

Loc: Germany
Hi there !

The EQ can work in 2 channel mode with individual settings for left/right and in 4 channel mode with individual settings for each channel ...

Hmm i think this is a hardware issue, i think rob told me before, just to get sure:
The DSP can NOT do 2 channel mode for front/rear instead of left right, can he ?
( This would make more sense, generally you don'd want different settings for left/right )

But i am already "happy happy joy joy" about the way it works now :), but you can always get closer to perfection,i would like to have the more detailed EQ 2 channel mode for front/rear, but i fear it is a hardware limitation of the DSP ...

Nils

#3244 - 01/10/1999 04:21 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: Nils]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
It is a hardware limitation of the DSP, sorry :(

In the future we'll be offering fully parametric EQ, allowing you to set bandcentres and Q for each of the bands, which should allow you enough flexibility for most things though.

Hugo

#3245 - 01/10/1999 04:33 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: altman]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Okay, thats fine ..
Just another thing, it should be the same for EQ settings and Volume settings, empeg should remember different settings for car/home, or at least always use "flat" at home ...

:-]# <- Mr. wise guy

Nils

#3246 - 01/10/1999 12:17 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: altman]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I obviously don't understand something...

Nils asked:
The EQ can work in 2 channel mode with individual settings for left/right and in 4 channel mode with individual settings for each channel ...

Hmm i think this is a hardware issue, i think rob told me before, just to get sure:
The DSP can NOT do 2 channel mode for front/rear instead of left right, can he ?
( This would make more sense, generally you don'd want different settings for left/right )

Hugo replied:
It is a hardware limitation of the DSP, sorry :(

Ummm. So I can do independent 4-ch EQ, or I can do independent L/R EQ. Doesn't that mean the software could simulate independent F/R EQ by running in 4ch mode and setting LF=RF and LR=RR?

What am I missing here?

Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#3247 - 01/10/1999 12:26 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: n6mod]
john
stranger

Loc: London, UK
> Ummm. So I can do independent 4-ch EQ, or I can do independent L/R EQ. Doesn't that mean
> the software could simulate independent F/R EQ by running in 4ch mode and setting LF=RF and
> LR=RR?
> What am I missing here?

The 2 channel L/R EQ is 10 bands per channel and the 4 channel EQ is 5 bands per channel. What you're asking for is a 2 channel front/back with 10 bands for front and 10 for rear. The DSP can't do that.

- John.

(The above may not represent the views of Empeg :)

#3248 - 01/10/1999 12:34 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: altman]
NasalGoat

Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada
I know someone mentioned it before, but it is planned, or even possible, to have EQ settings per song, or at least multiple EQ settings you can set via a menu?

Although per song EQ settings would be excellent, who knows when such a feature could be added, but multiple pre-sets would be handy for competition purposes in the nearer future.

EQ at all is great. Thanks!

#3249 - 01/10/1999 13:14 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: john]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
This makes sense, of course. I just haven't played with beta7 yet.

-Z

Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#3250 - 01/10/1999 21:58 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: john]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
John said....
"The 2 channel L/R EQ is 10 bands per channel and the 4 channel EQ is 5 bands per channel. What you're asking for is a 2 channel front/back with 10 bands for front and 10 for rear. The DSP can't do that."

Then I guess there is no way to have a single channel 20-band equalizer? I must confess I don't understand a lot of how this equalization business works -- left channel, right channel, front, back, sideways.... but a single 20-band that was the same for all output would seem to be the optimum setup. Off course it's easy for me to say things like that from a position of invincible ignorance.... ;-)

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#3251 - 02/10/1999 04:25 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: tanstaafl.]
Mark Petersen
journeyman

Loc: Denmark, Kbh Ø
You have to consiter that the DSP can only handel 20 bands in total, and each channels you have, must shar the DSP.
There is there for only a limited posibilitys of combinations:
20 band / (L/R  + F/B = 4 chanels) =  5 band EQ 
20 band / (L/R = 2 chanels) = 10 band EQ
20 band / (MONO + F/B = 2 chanels) = 10 band EQ
20 band / (MONO = 1 chanels) = 20 band EQ

Pleas notis that the to last is only MONO and hwo wants that !!
So I donīt think that there will come sutch a setting.(who know!)

the only solution I know is that you migth diffrent the bands per channels eg.
14 L/R and 6 F/B
by using some fansy calculations on the settings you will be abel to more bands than there is.
lets for a moment take the lest chanel and F/B ther we have 10 band EQ avalible.
by aplaying the chanels dynamic we will be abel to calculate witch area that diff betwne front an rear and there by have more avalible for general setting
fx. we only change the bass and tribble setting (10 -2) 8 is avalible for general setting and by interpolating where the ajustments are made it will be more transparant howe we asain the bands

Mark
emaks rouls #10677

#3252 - 02/10/1999 04:46 Re: EQ Questions ... [Re: NasalGoat]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Possible - yes
Planned - yes

We're working on some sort of inheritance, so (for example) you could have all the tunes in your rock playlist have the rock eq, unless overridden on particular songs.

Hugo