Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#325647 - 31/08/2009 19:42 Just installed Tuner module but..
ingoldsby
new poster

When I turn on the empeg, (it's running the hijack firmware) it says loading tuner blah blah and then it is not available as a source.

Does Hijack not work with the Tuner Module, or should I be looking for some other problem?

If this is too vague, just tell me where to clarify please smile Pictures are possible as well.

#325648 - 31/08/2009 20:24 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: ingoldsby]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Hijack works fine with the tuner module, though it would be worthwhile making sure you have the latest version of Hijack before you go any further.

Capturing a log of the serial port output would be useful, though that can obviously be challenging when it is installed in the car.

#325649 - 31/08/2009 20:59 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, if the docking sled is installed in the car, you won't have a tuner connector when you bring the player into the house, so it'll be harder to get the serial log. You don't happen to have an extra docking sled in the house, do you?

Double check that you haven't set some kind of a setting in Hijack that disables the tuner module. It's got a lot of settings related to AC/DC detection and such (some of which will key off the tuner module ID number), but I don't recall if it's possible to bork the tuner module with one of them.

While you're mucking about with the sled, check for the following possible problems that might cause tuner module malfunction:

Miswired extension cable.

Loose docking connector pins.

Cut or otherwise incorrect sled harness wiring.

It's also possible the tuner module is just plain faulty. That has happened on occasion.

#325651 - 31/08/2009 22:09 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: tfabris]
ingoldsby
new poster

Ok, I messed around with it some more and the shop that originally installed the empeg in the car cut the 12v/ground wire that the radio module plugs into. I spliced those back in and it now sees the radio.

The problem I'm now having is I can only hear it (and just barely) when it is at around +10db.

Everything else plays fine through the system, but it seems like the radio is not being amplified almost at all.

The wife has the car right now, but I'll mess around with it some more later.

#325660 - 01/09/2009 02:39 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: ingoldsby]
ingoldsby
new poster

After getting frustrated and shoving the unit into the dash.. it worked fine. Go figure. wink

Finally, I have radio again! It's now the perfect stereo smile

#325670 - 01/09/2009 14:59 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: ingoldsby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If physical jostling fixes the problem, you've got a loose wire or crimp somewhere.

#325671 - 01/09/2009 15:49 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: tfabris]
ingoldsby
new poster

Yeah, I'll go through them all one at a time and just ensure they are all tight.

Thanks for all of the help smile

#325672 - 01/09/2009 16:15 Re: Just installed Tuner module but.. [Re: ingoldsby]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: ingoldsby
Ok, I messed around with it some more and the shop that originally installed the empeg in the car cut the 12v/ground wire that the radio module plugs into. I spliced those back in and it now sees the radio.

I really don't understand how most installers can ever get anything working. A large percentage of them absolutely butcher the wiring looms and the empeg just confuses them even more.