Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3301 - 12/11/1999 15:15 emptool and Linux USB?
carlalex
new poster

Loc: Berkeley, CA
I think everyone agrees that even at 115kbps the serial line is just to damn slow for loading 20 GB of music. By my calculations we are talking about 16.8 day of continuous uploading.

So my question is emptool understand the basic USB stuff going into the 2.3 kernels, or would upgrading my kernel for the sake of faster empeg times be a waste w/o any support for it in emptool.

other problem: emptool segfaults way too often....

#3302 - 12/11/1999 17:09 Re: emptool and Linux USB? [Re: carlalex]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK

John has put some serious work into emptool over the last few days, although there's unlikely to be a release until after Comdex. We're hoping to make a source release in the not too distant future.

Anyway, you Linux hackers, why hasn't anyone knocked up an X front end yet? :-)

Rob

#3303 - 12/11/1999 17:29 Re: emptool and Linux USB? [Re: rob]
carlalex
new poster

Loc: Berkeley, CA
X? how mouse driven and demanding of user interaction. ;-)

I'm busy wrapping it in perl to interface with the mess of code I am growing to manage my CD meta data collection and multi physical volume MP3 archive of said CD collection. (The code is not anywhere near a releasable form yet, so don't ask).

#3304 - 12/11/1999 20:05 Re: emptool and Linux USB? [Re: rob]
kurowski
new poster

I am so glad to hear there'll be a new emptool release soon. I've uncovered a couple of inconvenient bugs in it while writing my X front end. Oops, did I say that out loud?

Screenshots are at http://penguin.marlboro.edu/gemtool/, but I'd rather not release anything until a new emptool comes out and I have a chance to make my front end work with it. However, if you're dying for an X front end, I'll email you the code.

#3305 - 15/11/1999 06:37 Re: emptool and Linux USB? [Re: carlalex]
john
stranger

Loc: London, UK
> other problem: emptool segfaults way too often....

If you have any problems with emptool, I can only fix them if you tell me about them :)
Mail [email protected] with a description and log. It's helpful if you run with --debug 2.

Currently I'm reworking most of emptool. I didn't like the way wildcards are handled and the whole thing's got a bit messy. Things you can look forward to are numerics for all results and possibly some source code. The redesign means it should be relatively easy to convert it to an X application should you so wish. You'll have to wait at least until the rest of empeg gets back from Comdex.

As for USB... unfortunately the chipset on my office computer is an SiS 7001 USB, which in itself has a few problems with some hardware, but it's also OHCI based and Linux usb-ohci (or ohci-hcd) is pretty buggy. I'll get it working some day when I have some spare time at home (my home computer is UHCI).

- John.

(The above may not represent the views of empeg :)