Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#3314 - 17/11/1999 20:09 Adding a CD ROM
Kedl
new poster

Loc: Knoxville, TN
OK, I bet I get some flames on this one :-)

I have a slimline CDROM from my laptop I never use. (I use an extra HD in the bay and use CDROMs over the network at home or work)
It has audio controls on the front for prev/next/stop/play/pause/eject.

I'm thinking:
- connect the audio out pins to the aux in on the empeg
- connect the micro 50-pin laptop connector to the empeg (same as laptop HDs use) for data and power
- find the right cable (shouldn't be to hard)
- get the developers sw (no problem)
- find a Linux/ARM Iso9660 driver (uh oh #1)
- find a Linux/ARM automounter like I use on my Linux/x86 (uh oh #2) (or add cmds to the menu)
- mount it in the dash on top of the empeg; plenty of room cause the factory radio was much bigger
- figure out how to add playlists to the db from the cdroms (uh oh #3) (I'm sure I can hack something up since it supports two hd now)

I'll have audio cds pass thru automatically; mp3s off the cdrom when its mounted.

What problems might I have?
Anyone know where to get the strongarm utils for the kernel?

Let the flaming begin! :-)

6GB, Blue, 00272

#3315 - 18/11/1999 09:43 Re: Adding a CD ROM [Re: Kedl]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I'm curious about the controller.
AFAIK, the Empeg has an IDE controller for the hard drive(s), but only one connector inside the box. How exactly would you connect the Laptop CDROM to the empeg?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

#3316 - 18/11/1999 10:31 Re: Adding a CD ROM [Re: Dearing]
Kedl
new poster

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Getting the cable out is easy.
Simply machine a slot in the top to bring out the cable.

6GB, Blue, S/N 00272, Q 5001

#3317 - 18/11/1999 17:06 Re: Adding a CD ROM [Re: Kedl]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
You are way beyond my technical knowledge on this one... but I think I may have a couple more "uh-ohs" to think about.

You'll have to find a way to power the CD-ROM. What's it looking for? 3V DC? 5v DC? Whatever it is, your car probably isn't going to supply it... Oh, I see - you want to power it from the empeg. Hmmm....

Worse, I suspect the service life of the actual physical unit is going to be disappointingly brief. That unit was never designed to be bumped and banged around while it is operating. If it is made for laptop use, it'll take quite a bit of abuse when it is not spun up, but while it is in use, I'll bet it is fairly delicate. By contrast the hard drives in the empeg are designed to take 150g impacts while spinning!

But it sounds like a really great idea if you can make it fly. Please keep us posted on any progress you make. Verement, Raphael, Borgcube, etc. -- what do you guys think?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"