Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#332702 - 04/05/2010 01:14 Server issues and future migration
drakino
carpal tunnel

As some of you have noticed, the forum has been down a few times over the past few months, including this past Sunday evening (US time). The current machine that this site lives on is experiencing some sort of failure that requires a power cycle, and remote assistance hasn't been all that quick to respond.

To fix this, the current plan of mine is to migrate the boards sometime this month to the VPS provider Gandi (thanks Bitt for the recommendation). Currently, all data here is backed up to my home NAS on a regular basis, so even if the current host does completely die, the boards will survive, but with a bit of downtime. My goal is to migrate before May 28, and odds are this will happen even sooner.

Thanks for bearing with me, hopefully the transition shouldn't be too bumpy. I'll update this thread as I lock dates down.

#333259 - 23/05/2010 12:49 Re: Server issues and future migration [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Migration day has arrived. I'll be doing the final move later today, probably around 3 or 4pm CDT (GMT-5). DNS TTL is set pretty low currently on http://empegbbs.com, so if you get a message the boards are down, try again in about an hour or so.

#333262 - 23/05/2010 19:50 Re: Server issues and future migration [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

If you are reading this, you made it to the new site.

Riocar.org will be migrated sometime later, though since there isn't a DB to lock down there, it should be pretty transparent.

Also, the site may be a little slow from time to time and e-mail notifications may be erratic until other things on the new host settle down.

Edited by drakino (23/05/2010 19:55)

#333354 - 25/05/2010 22:46 Re: Server issues and future migration [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll be doing some other work on the server tonight, and part of the work may involve restarting the machine. Keep this in mind as there may be some brief interruptions of the boards for the next few hours.