Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284778 - 23/07/2006 06:30 Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP
nicky
new poster

I have my pc (Win XP) connected directing to my Rio Central with the usb cable for direct sync (usb port #1 on the Rio). I was having problems with it and found out that it was a driver issue for the Rio Central with Win XP.

Just click on this site and update the Rio Central driver under system properties > hardware > device manager > usb controllers. The new driver file is RIOXDRV and you just need to update the driver (ie not install/reinstall emplode) : http://www.empeg.com/downloads/car-emplode-v2.00.zip

Hope that helps for anyone who was frustrated like me that I couldn't use the direct usb connection approach rather then using ethernet usb adapter or hpna.

#284779 - 23/07/2006 15:20 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: nicky]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, I hadn't thought about how the old USB issue from the car player would affect the central. I thought they'd solved that problem by the time the central was out. Hm. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

#337440 - 22/09/2010 04:55 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: tfabris]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

What about using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter? Is there anyway to get that working with the Rio Central? I can't for the life of me (except for cost savings) think of why they didn't include an RJ-45 jack and Ethernet support rather than a stupid 56K modem. That seems like a step backwards from the empeg. How can you network that on a LAN even if you wanted to? And what about using 3rd-party apps like emphatic with it? Can any of that custom software (or that specifically written for the Rio Central) be installed and configured to run on the unit?

#337441 - 22/09/2010 04:58 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: Hollywood Justin]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

If I download and install the RIOXDRV file on my Win XP system, will that also allow me to connect my empeg via USB? (I'm assuming so based on your above comments if it's the same driver needed).

#337444 - 22/09/2010 05:41 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: Hollywood Justin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Hollywood Justin
What about using a USB-to-Ethernet adapter? Is there anyway to get that working with the Rio Central?

Yes, in fact, I'm using one on my Central. You plug a USB cable from the central's rear-facing USB port into the USB-to-ethernet adapter, then plug the ethernet cable into the adapter. There's a trick: It has to be the right kind. If you go to the Central's "About" menu (I think it's the about menu if I recall correctly), it lists the specific models of USB-to-ethernet adapter that were supported. Might be hard to find one of them, though, that was years ago.

Quote:
I can't for the life of me (except for cost savings) think of why they didn't include an RJ-45 jack and Ethernet support

Yeah, they were trying to save on cost. Fortunately they were able to code in the adapter support, so anyone who really wanted ethernet could use it.

#337445 - 22/09/2010 05:43 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: Hollywood Justin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Hollywood Justin
If I download and install the RIOXDRV file on my Win XP system, will that also allow me to connect my empeg via USB? (I'm assuming so based on your above comments if it's the same driver needed).

That's for connecting the Empeg-Car to the Windows PC, yes. You also need the connection software (Emplode) which is part of that file as well.

If you mean connecting the Empeg-Car to the Rio Central, then no. At least, I don't think they ever implemented a connection directly between the two.

#339931 - 30/11/2010 11:18 Re: Connecting directly to Rio Central with USB in Windows XP [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
There were plans to implement empeg-download capability into the Central, but it was never developed or implemented. Only a limited number of Rio portable FLASH players are supported.

Short of an open-source implementation of the Central software, you are out of luck.

I currently rip on Central, upload to PC using jEmplode (USB+ethernet adapter), download from jEmplode to empeg (ethernet). I can only do this with my Mk 2, as I was not able to get USB going with jEmplode.

Incidentally, AVG is now marking the jempeg.com site as a drive-by malware installer. Has anyone maintained contact with Mike Schrag?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015