Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#337507 - 23/09/2010 12:16 Re: Broken Excel Spreadsheet [Re: peter]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: peter
Originally Posted By: Roger
Excel's implementation of multiple SDI sucks.

(Today having to actually look at two Excel spreadsheets at the same time:) AAARGH how did this thing even SHIP in that UTTERLY BROKEN state?

Peter

The secret: don't double-click the XLS file to open it. Open a fresh instance of Excel, and then open it in that.

#337511 - 23/09/2010 14:04 Re: Broken Excel Spreadsheet [Re: Roger]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Roger
The secret: don't double-click the XLS file to open it. Open a fresh instance of Excel, and then open it in that.
Yes, I've been doing that for some time now. However, there is a caveat to be wary of.

If you cut and paste between spreadsheets that are opened in different instances of Excel, only the data values are pasted, formulas and comments are not copied over. If both spreadsheets are opened in the same instance of excel, then all information is pasted.

tanstaafl.

#337519 - 23/09/2010 15:59 Re: Broken Excel Spreadsheet [Re: tanstaafl.]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Ah! In fact 99% of the time I'm not double-clicking on them anyway, I'm clicking on them in Firefox (from an internal, actually quite groovy, document control system). I bet that means I can tell Firefox what to do with them. (As opposed to what I'd like to tell Firefox to do with them smirk .) I'll look into that tomorrow...

Peter

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2