Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#338656 - 26/10/2010 14:15 iPhone - Best replacement and additional software
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm starting this thread to create an index of replacement software (that replaces default apps) as well as to index some other popular app categories. Softare can come from the App Store or side-load stores requiring Jailbreak.

If anyone has any app recommendations, please let me know. I'll be including multiple apps per category for now, but will then thin it out to a maximum of 1 or 2 per category.

Apps must perform and look great. Form and function must blend and work together. No ugly apps, no bug-ridden apps.

The first four categories of "replacements" are default apps which I think need to be replaced the most of all, since Apple's provided solutions are simply underwhelming.

Replacements for Default apps:
==========================

Music Player
- $: My Artists: http://www.macstories.net/iphone/my-artists-review/
- $3: Amp Music Player: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amp-music-player/id372165479?mt=8

Video Player
- VLC

Camera
- $: ClearCam (haven't checked out yet)
- $: Camera Plus Pro (haven't checked out yet) - these two seem like the best of what's available though
- $: ProCamera

Map program with offline maps (with GPS support, non navigating)
- $: Galileo - you can build your own maps offline and then copy them over (slow but versatile to do)

Calculator
-

Clock/Alarm
- $: Clock Pro
- Still looking (there's a lot of garbage in this category)

Web Browser
- Mercury Web Browser

Contacts - must use the native contacts DB and sync with Address Book, Google, etc...
- $: ABContacts (this one looks the best so far - still have to download it - supports alternate phone/sms programs instead of using built-in ones)

Notes
- Evernote (I don't like the iPhone client as much as I like the desktop version)

Calendar - must sync with iCal/CalDav/Google, etc..
- Calvetica - super clean/minimalist UI, has promise, needs more updating yet though.
- miCal - looks very full featured - this is the one I'm leaning toward

New Apps
=========

Voip (SIP Support)
- Fring
- $: Bria iPhone Edition
- $: Media5 Voip
- $: WiFone
- $: SessionTalk SIP

SMS / MMS - over data connection
- $: Messagey (US and Canada only supposedly - works by sending over email, so it doesn't work well sending to Rogers or Fido customers in Canada)
- $: Messenger for Google Voice
- SMS GV Extension - jailbreak hack to use built-in Message app through Google Voice

Visual Voice Mail
- $: Visible Voice Mail - works with any VM system that can send messages to email address

Digital Wallet (passwords/cards/banking, etc.)
- 1Password

Bluetooth File Transfer
-

GPS Navigation (turn by turn software - maps must be fully offline)
- TomTom - looks/works great so far
- Navigon - looks/works great so far

Document scanning (must support integration with other services)
- JotNot Scanner Pro: http://www.appolicious.com/finance/apps/47331-jotnot-scanner-pro-mobitech-3000-llc
- Readdle Scanner Pro

Reference
- $: AllofWiki - download offline copy of WikiPedia
- $: Oxford Deluxe English Dictionary 2nd Edition
- $: Audubon field guides for wildlife - I wish they covered more than North America

Local music streaming
- $: Squeezecast - stream music from your Squeezebox Server (turns iPhone into a Squeezebox)
- $: iPeng - Squeezebox controller/browser - can also be used to control Squeezecast (ideal)

Sketching/Drawing
- Adobe Ideas
- $: Sketchbook Mobile
- $: Layers
- $: miniDraw Plus

Photo editing/manipulation
- $: Photogene (so far it's the only one I've found worth adding to wishlist)

Unit conversion
- $: Convert

Shopping lists and comparisons
- CompareMe - price/unit/volume price shopping comparison tool
- $: Grocery Gadget - advanced grocery list app
- ShopShop - simple/basic list app

Tip calculator
- $: Tipulator

Sound/audio utilities
- SoundHoud -(supposed to also include a player) identify music by audio sampling or humming: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundhound/id355554941?mt=8

Shipping/receiving
- $: Deliveries - great little app for keeping track of packages, supports a lot of mail/courier co's.

Services or Service Enhancements:
==============================

Improved Syncing
- WiFi Sync: http://www.getwifisync.com/

Locate/lock/spy lost/stolen iPhone:
- iLocalis (Jailbreak - 5euro per year): http://ilocalis.com/index.php

Filesystem access
- Netatalk (Jailbreak) - allows browsing iPhone filesystem from the desktop as a drive
- iFile - file browser for on-iPhone use
- OpenSSH - allows SSH/SFTP access TO your iPhone

Themes and UI modification - these are all Jailbreak
- Winterboard - the base framework/control panel for all UI mods
- SBSettings - quickly access common settings like enable/disable data, etc. (use the SBMatte theme with this)
- LockInfo - modify and add information to the lock screen (needs to be skinned for best look)
- Five Icon Dock - show 5 icons in the dock instead of 4
- Five Icon Switcher - set the number of icons in the task switcher

Edited by hybrid8 (09/11/2010 17:45)

#338710 - 27/10/2010 15:26 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I'm going to have to see about editing the first post again - currently editing time has expired...

And um, yeah, the ratio of crap:good in the app store is about 9:1 at the very least.

Dictionary/reference: AllofWiki Offline - entire Wikipedia on your iDevice, with regular updates.

#338858 - 31/10/2010 15:03 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Offmaps is off the table - the idea is sound, but the execution is just frustrating and somewhat deceptive. 1. You can download "maps" for free. 2. You have to pay for "guides" which has all the POI information. 3. You can't access the maps you've gotten for free from the UI unless you buy the guides. Useless.

On top of that, even though it uses Open Maps which has pretty much the whole world mapped out, you can only download specific cities/regions. Downloads are limited to a specific byte count so you never know how detailed your map will be. If a map has a of streets and other things which may inflate its download size, it means you're not likely going to be able to zoom in very far. Again, useless. For an "offline" program, you can only perform map downloads on the iPhone itself. It'd be nice (and super simple) to allow map downloads from their website and then just use iTunes to sync the maps. That would also give you a way to back up maps. Right now you can't do that so you can lose all your maps when performing an update - which has happened to reviewers.

Still looking for a decent offline map program. It might just end up having to be a full navigation app, since the good ones store the full map data for the regions they cover, which is going to be anywhere from a whole country to a whole continent for most of them.

#338860 - 31/10/2010 15:34 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
OffMaps is the best global offline mapping app that I have found.

For the UK there is UK Map, which uses the Ordnance Survey data and is therefore better than the OSM data. You still have to select areas to download on the phone though (not limited on download size).

That of course is UK only.

For the rest of Europe I also have TomTom, though of course that only gives you road mapping.

As I say OffMaps is the best global one I've found, though it has been a few months since I trawled the app store looking for alternatives.

Any likely alternatives are highly likely to be OSM based anyway.

#338861 - 31/10/2010 15:37 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

I should say that OffMaps is usable despite its flaws. If I'm off somewhere outside the UK I'll always make sure I download the area on OffMaps before I go.

I'd far rather have OffMaps available than nothing if I don't have (or can't afford to use) a data connection...

Edited by andy (31/10/2010 15:42)

#338863 - 31/10/2010 16:45 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

How do you access the maps you've downloaded in Offmaps if you don't also download the guide?

I've also just installed Galileo Offline maps which seems like it's more capable and can source maps from different providers. However, the process of generating those maps and compressing them must be done from a client app running on your Mac or PC - and it's remarkably slow. I have to take a better look at it to see if certain options can be set to speed up the compilation because the small region I defined the other night was going to take over 24 hours to complete.

I'm not fond of TomTom's software and there seem to be better alternatives available with both better navigation and better map presentation, including Navigon. Apple should really have thought ahead and snapped up one of the mapping/GIS companies instead of leaving the two biggest/well known to be scooped up by TomTom (TeleAtlas) and Nokia (NavTeq). Google now have their own data and Apple is left out in the cold when it comes to mapping/location, IMO.

All in all I'm finding that my early estimation of 9:1 crap:good is actually more like 1000:1. Usually even the good/best stuff has issues. Most people just write shite code and don't have high enough standards for design and quality.

Edited by hybrid8 (31/10/2010 16:47)

#338864 - 31/10/2010 17:39 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

I've never had a problem downloading and using the map data in OffMaps:

- position the map where you want to download the maps for
- tap on the centre button on the toolbar
- select download map only
- drag out an area
- adjust the slider for detail required
- tap on start download
- wait
- tap on close when complete

That's, I now have the data cached on the phone (as proved by putting it into airplane mode and killing the app/restarting it).

#338865 - 31/10/2010 17:47 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Don't base your view of the iPhone TomTom software on the reviews out there. They are mostly (if not all) based on the early versions of it. There have been updates since which have improved it a great deal.

#338866 - 31/10/2010 18:16 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've used the TomTom software on my brother's iPhone, on Palm Treo and on their own stand-alone units. Not as good as Garmin's and Garmin's isn't very good.

Back to OffMaps...

Ok, I forgot that you could also do that manual marking of the map with a square and then download that specific area. The UI leaves a lot to be desired... I'd really like to be able to select a point and then pick a radius personally. Or simply pick a state/province/country.

This same method is what some people complained about in negative comments regarding another program. Strange that they don't complain about it here.

I'm downloading a manual region now. But I'm pretty sure to use it I'll have to create a bookmark for it. When you download one of the predefined cities (map only) there's no way to select it. I suppose you could scroll around the map and then locate the area to make a bookmark. That kind of sucks for offline viewing. When you're actually at the location GPS will obviously center you on the map and that won't be an issue for THAT location.

I've bought the program and I suppose I won't delete it. But I'm not happy with how it works - which wasn't at all obvious from the free city downloads nor the author's web site. It implied a whole other level of functionality that simply doesn't exist without buying individual guides.

If the guides were a bit better (San Fran's was sparse and so too was Lisbon's) I wouldn't actually mind paying for all of them if a flat-fee were available. As it stands, the author doesn't even list the price of tokens on his site from what I've seen. I haven't found that info anywhere, but I haven't yet clicked the link to buy them - I suppose he'll have to show it there.

The GPS apps aren't cheap and there's no one app that will do the whole world unfortunately. At least not that I know of. I suspect it's not possible to do in-app purchase and then complete the download via iTunes, is it? Apple really need to work this delivery system out, because to me it would make much more sense to sell the GPS apps super-cheap or give them away for free with a minimal feature set and then be able to buy additional maps. Or at the very least buy one or two countries as they're deployed now and then add more without creating additional icons in the springboard.

Edited by hybrid8 (31/10/2010 18:33)

#338867 - 31/10/2010 18:49 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I've already downloaded close to 150MB of the Greater Toronto Area - in fact a nice square of the Golden Horseshoe, which includes the area of land along the shores of the North West of Lake Ontario. The detail doesn't go down to residential street level. Aren't these maps supposed to be made up of vector plots?

To get good detail of the GTA, it would either take long enough to get frustrated by the program until such time as I made a $1000 offense (smashing the iPhone). Or three months of patient scrolling, marking and downloading.

Oh, and you can't search for any street names no matter what level of detail you've downloaded or if you're on/offline. It only searched its pay guides. And I don't think it searches those for street names either. frown

I'd like to revise what I said earlier. Not useless, but... NEXT to useless. Absolutely shite UI and poorly designed functionality.

By far the best app I've ever downloaded is Service Bell. It does exactly what it says it does and does it very well. It shows an image of a desk bell and you can tap it to ring it. That's it. wink

Edited by hybrid8 (31/10/2010 19:08)

#338869 - 31/10/2010 19:11 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

All the OSM iPhone apps that I have seen use the rendered tiles rather than then base vector data.

I suspect this is because all the various map rendering code that is out there to use is GPL and so they can't just use that to render the maps on the device. And it would take someone a lot of time and effort to create their own (half decent) map renderer. It is a very hard thing to get right.

Whereas they can use one of the GPL map back ends to render to tiles very easily.

Also, the OSM data, even in base vector form is huge, like 170GB huge.

#338870 - 31/10/2010 19:22 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

There is definitely a lot of crap on the app store nowadays, but there is still plenty of good stuff. Apps I consider to be very good or excellent:

- TomTom - clearly Bruno disagrees on this one wink
- Thing - simple, effective "lists of things organiser"
- Byline - good RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader
- Twitter - an example of excellent UI design (I can't say the same for the iPad app)
- Words With Friends - well designed attractive alternative to the awful official Scrabble app
- Weather Pro - excellent weather app with detailed forecasts, graphs, rain radar and satellite images
- iPeng - the must have app for Squeezebox users
- ShopShop - handy shopping list app, with the vital feature "email list to my other half" feature
- Air Video - excellent combination of a PC side server app (Windows and Mac) that transcodes any video you throw at it for playback on the phone
- Facebook - useless if you aren't into Facebook, but a good example of app design
- Starmap - a beautiful star finder app
- iSSH - a well thought out ssh client that actually comes in handy occasionally
- Line Art and Little Uzu - pointless but beautiful
- Flight Control - the perfect example of a game that just wouldn't work without a touch UI

#338871 - 31/10/2010 20:06 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Since last posting I've noticed that the OSM programs use bitmap tiles. Ouch. That's why their maps are enormous versus the likes of TomTom and Navigon.

I've found some ways to get more manageable map creation times with Galileo's Mobile Atlas Creator. So right now I'm doing a bunch of the area around here.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to get a nav app though, even if I won't necessarily need to use it for navigation. smile

I'm going to look at the other apps you've mentioned. Always looking for something good that does something useful.

Right now I'm still looking to fill in that list I've started. So far I've settled on a clock app and two music apps. Clock Pro (needs to tweaks which I am going to suggest to the author) and the music apps are the ones listed in the first post. They're by far the best and most useful of any music app I've tried. Amp needs a bunch of design fixes and some bug fixes, of which I have some notes to pass to the developer.

#338911 - 01/11/2010 18:09 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Galileo works fairly well. It shows you a map that you have either cached or that you've pre-built and loaded onto the device. It works online, downloading Open Maps, or you can choose from many map sources when building your own, such as Google.

The level of details you include is totally up to you, but it can add significant time (hours) to map creation - downloading tiles AND assembling them. Once you've downloaded tiles they're stored in a tile DB so if you re-use that area of the map, those tiles won't have to be downloaded again when building.

I'm currently generating a map of Portugal and it's currently at over 1.3GB and still have some 15 minutes to go. I's been downloading tiles and generating the map for at least 4 hours now. The detail level of the program goes up to "19" whatever that means. I'm generating with tiles up to level 16, the same I used for a map of the greater Toronto area, up North to Orillia and South East through Buffalo. That map set ended up at over 500MB.

It seems that unless you want to do only a single small city, this is a really heavy amount of data to carry around. It also takes a ton of time to pre-generate what you need, though the results are infinitely better than OffMaps when using Google's tiles.

#338921 - 01/11/2010 19:55 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The detail level of the program goes up to "19" whatever that means. I'm generating with tiles up to level 16, the same I used for a map of the greater Toronto area, up North to Orillia and South East through Buffalo.

Probably just zoom levels, Google maps for example has 19 zoom levels.

Did a recent mapping project for a client down to desk level, for a big corporate office relocation project, that zoomed in a bit further than level 19 wink

Edited by andy (01/11/2010 19:57)

#338923 - 01/11/2010 20:08 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm fairly sure you are outside of Google Map's licence by caching them offline...

#338931 - 01/11/2010 21:08 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: andy
I'm fairly sure you are outside of Google Map's licence by caching them offline...

I'm fairly sure I don't care. wink I've never been presented with a licensing agreement from Google as I'm not using any Google products. Last time I checked, Google didn't ask my permission before they used a photo of my house to help sell their mapping service, so we'll just call it even. In any case, it's really between Google and the author of the software. The software also supports Yahoo and Microsoft maps BTW.

I'm just entertaining some tests with these mapping programs. I won't be satisfied with anything so primitive that it uses bitmaps. It's got to be vectors for a real mapping solution, so I'm likely to give Navigon a try. I'm even going to give TomTom another shot since I've been reading about their recent software improvements and updated maps.

But... I came back here to mention another one of my cream f the crop programs. This one is actually quite functional and I just remembered about it today, even though it was long ago on my to-buy list. "Deliveries" from JuneCloud. I've been using their Mac OS widget for most of the year and this is able to sync using a web login to their site.

#338947 - 02/11/2010 03:26 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
None (ok, navigon seems well received too - we have both and we both prefer TomTom) of the other paid nav applications come anywhere near close to TomTom, TomTom just looks, works and behaves how you expect an iPhone application to.

I really detest the applications which use their own UI, take for instance "sygic aura" - the map view is lovely, it's accelerated 3d and it's super quick...however, once you go into a menu you then realise how awful it actually is.

You pays your money and takes your choice, however, IMHO the smart money is on TomTom.

Edited by sn00p (02/11/2010 03:27)

#338966 - 02/11/2010 19:03 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sn00p
TomTom just looks, works and behaves how you expect an iPhone application to.

IMO, Navigon is designed more like an iOS program. TomTom makes use of iOS design paradigms, but mostly it reminds me of their stand-alone products. Lots and lots of menu items which can get a bit confusing.

I've had a quick look at both and they're each quite good in their current incarnations, at least while stationary. TomTom feels a little slower when browsing the map. I like the loupe in TomTom's 2D map browser - it makes it precise to drop the destination exactly where you want it and lets you identify a specific POI. Navigon sort of drops the destination onto whatever is closest to the middle of the screen, however it has logos to identify the different popular POI brands. Funnily enough, it's missing McDonald's while that chain does appear in TomTom. I was just testing with that chain - I've eaten that food once in the past 5 or 6 years. wink

I do wish that both would do a little more offscreen rendering so that when you scroll the map it's not so slow. None of them is going to win any beauty contests against the bitmap images produced by Google Maps - I especially like Google's shaded representation of major buildings. wink

#338967 - 02/11/2010 20:12 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I like the loop in TomTom's 2D map browser

[Bitt]
Loupe.
[/Bitt]

smile

#338972 - 02/11/2010 22:09 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

No, I mean when you're navigating the menus and you can click on an option that sends you to an identical menu, eventually leading you to another option that takes you back to the top of the first. Wasn't that clear from the original message? wink

#338982 - 03/11/2010 00:47 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

#338994 - 03/11/2010 05:16 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: tfabris]
sn00p
addict

While there may be many options in the menus, I fail to see how they could possibly be confusing!

I mean:

Navigate To ->
Mute Sound ->
Night Colours ->
3D Map ->
TomTom Shop ->
Advanced Planning ->
Browse Map->
Help Me ->
Manage Favourites ->
Call POI ->
TomTom News ->
Change Settings ->

(and just for illustrations sake, the Navigation sub menu)

Home
Favourite ->
Address ->
Recent Destination ->
Local Search ->
Point of Interest ->
Contact
Photo ->
Postcode ->
Point on Map ->
Coordinates ->

If somebody is somehow confused by those, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to drive. Incidentally, have you tried adding a favourite in navigon, they have a nice button in the tab bar named "favourites", and when you get in there there's a nice button marked "edit" and when you click that you only get the option to delete existing ones, not to add new ones. SWMBO couldn't work out how to add favourites or set the home location, it took me quite a while to find out how to add them, needless to say, she won't use it and went back to TomTom, despite the pretty "panorama view".

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, Navigon very often appears in the store heavily discounted and it's a no brainer to purchase it, but when it and TomTom are at their regular prices, I'd buy TomTom every single time.

#338999 - 03/11/2010 11:08 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

It's not the individual items on TomTom's menus that are confusing, it's he ease os recursion and being presented with essentially the same menu multiple times and then having to back out of them. Even something like the Demo of your route was infuriating because it just kept looping but didn't indicate that it was, nor did they provide a way to turn it off without again going through a bunch of clicks through the menus. There's definitely a lot more clicking involved in TomTom's app.

The Edit thing is an iOS quirk. Edit is used in a lot of apps simply to allow deletion of list items, not necessarily to add more - the add button is usually available independently of the edit. I haven't tried creating a favorite yet, but I'd assume that you do it while looking at a location and not by clicking on the favorite button in the tab bar - those buttons usually take you to lists of things, they're not function buttons. Those will usually be at the top in an iOS-style app. For better or worse of course, because IMO, Apple's apps are not the end-all and be-all of design. Quite frankly some of the default-style iOS app design is just awful. iPod app for instance.

#339008 - 03/11/2010 16:50 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
sn00p
addict

I think it's perfectly reasonable behavior to expect the demo to endlessly loop and not to be "quit" by accident seeing as the only possible use that I can think of it is as an "attraction mode" in a store, it's certainly not something you'd use in the normal course of operating a sat-nav device.

Recursive menus? I've certainly not come across these in normal use, so I'd imagine that nearly every other "average joe user" has managed to avoid them.

Personally, I like the "explicit" nature of the TomTom menus, if I want to navigate to a postcode, city or street there are explicit options to do so, navigon says "navigate to city" but allows you to enter a post code (zip).

The major reason for choosing TomTom over Navigon in the UK is the traffic information, TomTom obviously have an awful lot of PND devices which are sending information back home, coupled with the normal traffic data sources which they also use, it completely blows away all the other iPhone nav apps - but again, you pay for it, £22 a year vs £15 for a lifetime of navigon traffic.

You have to expect that where you and I may press more buttons and go deeper into menus and options, most users won't all they want to do is press the navigate button, enter their destination and drive away.

#339011 - 03/11/2010 17:22 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I didn't get the impression that the demo view was for in-store display. It's positioned in the menu prominently enough to be considered a test-run of the route to see how it plays out. And I don't mind the fact that it loops, but there should be a much clearer way to stop it looping and get to properly navigating.

I will say that the iPhone version of TomTom is much improved over the stand-alone version I borrowed from a friend back in June. That model might have been a few years old though.

#339028 - 03/11/2010 19:46 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
andy
carpal tunnel

Just the capacitive screen and the touch physics make for a completely different (and better) experience to the actual TomTom units. I get such a shock whenever I use Eryl's TomTom, the interface, just due to those two things, it painful compared to TomTom on the phone.

The only reason I've ever used the demo view was with old TomTom devices that couldn't get a GPS signal when you were inside, for demoing to other people who hadn't seen a GPS navigator before. Not much call for it nowadays...

#339058 - 04/11/2010 13:01 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: andy]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

There seem to be a lot of really great programs on and off the app store, but they're just so difficult and time consuming to find. Like everything other than basic music management, iTunes sucks for apps in every way possible. The store is a dire mess and even managing downloaded apps is an epic fail. Simple things like knowing how much you paid for the app, the vendor's web site, the store page for the app - all unavailable/non-existant.

In my search for some apps to replace stock functionality I'm finding that the biggest piece missing to this puzzle is the GLUE to hold it all together well. Since the iPhone's default apps are hard-set to deal with their respective functions, we need a third-party app to be able to set defaults.

For instance, set the default dialer, default sms program, etc. There's a program out now that allows you to set the default browser, but I haven't been able to find anything for the other seemingly hard-coded aspects of the iPhone.

At this time I haven't done anything with Google Voice on the phone yet. The program GV Mobile currently doesn't have any SIP support, so I'd still be stuck with using two different apps to handle calls. I'm thinking of initially using some other SIp app along with Voip.ms and separately using a GV SMS app with GV for only SMS messaging. And a third app for checking voice mail. It would be nice to have all these integrated - and I'm hoping that's what GV Mobile will eventually be able to do.

#339061 - 04/11/2010 15:36 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Like everything other than basic music management, iTunes sucks for apps in every way possible.
You mean you actually find iTunes acceptable for music management? The day I downloaded Copytrans Manager [Thank you, Tony Fabris!] was like the Fourth of July to me, declaring my independence now and forever from iTunes. Every time I use it I marvel at how much faster, how much more intuitive, how much more efficient, just how much better CTM is at music management than iTunes.

Of course, if you want to do things other than music management (like buy songs and stuff) then you'll have to keep iTunes on hand. Too bad...

tanstaafl.

#339062 - 04/11/2010 15:46 Re: iPhone - Best replacement and additional software [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

By music management I didn't mean managing and copying music to my iPod or iPhone. It sticks really badly at that too. smile

But to simply navigate a list of all my music and being able to search for music within my collection, plus making adjustments to tags, it works rather well and it's the best thing available on the Mac. Likely because no one else is taking the time/effort/expense to make something better as the market would be small what with everyone already using iTunes.

It's been getting steadily worse since version 7 however with the exception of the time in 8.x or maybe 9.x where they added the ability to set sorting tags on multiple tracks at once. Version 7 is when the concept of full albums really came about for iTunes and since then Apple has just been making the UI more encumbered with garbage while also removing or crippling what it previously introduced. The new album art list view touted by Steve at the last iTunes event was a giant step backwards from what they already had in iTunes 7. Now you can't see album art on any album/single that has 5 or fewer tracks. Plus unless you have super short album names, those all get truncated as well.

Never mind that you don't actually get to see any album art or change to any view but a plain list when browsing music on an iDevice. And then there's the infernal and multi-hour scan for "gapless" iTunes must do whenever tracks are added.

Every now and then I check out the next purported "iTunes killer" like Songbird or DoubleTwist. I end up deleting them fairly quickly because even the thought of their archives sitting on my drive somewhere gives me chest pains. That's how bad all the other software is (that's available for the Mac). The program you linked looks interesting, but it's Windows only and I'm not that interested in firing up a virtual machine to manage music. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >