Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#342266 - 14/02/2011 12:13 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Incidentally, I didn't use the insane comment as an insult, but rather that Microsoft doesn't really do anything without trying. At least without trying FOR something. There's always a goal. They spent a lot of money developing a promoting Zune, but they recognized that there was no way they were going to split the market in half over night. Perhaps since the Zune's introduction they have scaled back efforts or simply let their efforts wither, but they did give it a go. I suspect they're regrouping and will leverage what they've got with Windows Phone, the same way Windows Phone was built on Zune DNA to begin with.

#342270 - 14/02/2011 14:26 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Incidentally, I didn't use the insane comment as an insult

Even though I've learned long ago to accept calmly that some may consider my opinions insane (and, possibly with a bit of arrogance on my part, smile at that), that's nice to know, Bruno. Not meaning to insult make the conversation nicer.

In any case, I understand what your opinon on what MS strategy is. I just have a very different one - which is a guess just like yours is, of course -.
I suppose this is one reason why I find the Nokia+MS agreement very interesting and possibly bringing some relevant mkt change, and you don't - if I understand you correctly.

Time will tell. I am curious to see the first Nokia phone with WP7 on board.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#342272 - 14/02/2011 14:32 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: Taym]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: taym
I find the Nokia+MS agreement very interesting and possibly bringing some relevant mkt change, and you don't - if I understand you correctly.

On the contrary, I do find it interesting and something Nokia absolutely needed to do right now. They did have other possibilities in the past, but those flew them by (Palm as I used in my previous example). I also think it's going to shake up the market in Nokia/MS favor in some geographic locations, but IMO, I think they need more exclusivity in this venture. The other companies using MS software are still leaning more toward Android and I don't think they're going to do anything to help make the WinPhone platform shine as brightly as possible.

With the WinPhone platform split over many vendors, I don't think Nokia will be able to get the numbers they would otherwise. I do think this is a good move for MS as well, for they finally have a solid mobile company to push their software, and not just another one of a dozen third-rate conglomerates.

The biggest shame is that Nokia is going to lose a lot of its work force due to this decision.

#342273 - 14/02/2011 14:39 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: hybrid8]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Yes, I've been thinking about that also, and as you may have read in the news in these days, a more exclusive agreement has been considered since the day of the announcement, and it seems it still is a possibility.

Personally, I see your point but I am not sure yet it is really needed: unlike other hardware manufacturers, Nokia has the license to customize WP7. Actually, they claim they'll be working in partnership with MS to that purpose. So, I'm aready assuming that the WP7 OS we'll find on Nokia phones will be to some degree different (albait compatible, I really hope) from the one on other hardware producers. And yes, I too agree that the latter may quite dislike this.
I also think it will be quite likely we'll see other features I can't really understand why are currently missing in WP7, such as thetering and Sync with Outlook.
In other words, I think this degree of exclusivity may be enough to generate that uniqueness that is indeed needed to compete against the iPhone.

#342392 - 15/02/2011 21:23 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: Taym]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Plan B

Seeing that, makes me wonder if Nokia is just going to tear it's self apart before it can even go forward with a concrete plan.

#342438 - 16/02/2011 12:46 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

I would have expected some similar reaction among some of the employees. But, I don't think they are particularly relevant, at the end of the day.

Indeed, it is a huge bet Nokia is placing, and I agree there are risks together with the obvious many great oportunities.

#342500 - 17/02/2011 00:59 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: drakino
Plan B

Seeing that, makes me wonder if Nokia is just going to tear it's self apart before it can even go forward with a concrete plan.

In case you haven't seen it yet, this was a hoax.

#342502 - 17/02/2011 01:16 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Guess they found plenty of other plans to fall back on. smile

#342506 - 17/02/2011 05:13 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: drakino]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Ok, so with each day that passes I get more worried about the long term future of Qt. We keep hearing the same old stuff from the suits:

"We're going to ship another 150 million symbian devices" which roughly translates to "We're going to make another 150 million dead on arrival devices"

"Meego is our future, we're shipping our first Meego device in 2011, Qt is the toolkit for Meego" Really? Meegos your future? Why the MS/Nokia alliance then?

I suspect that within a year maybe two we'll see Nokia pull it's resources from Meego.

Nokia haven't shown the desktop port of Qt any love for the past year, and I'm not being nieve, they're a mobile company so it's to be expected. I'm just struggling to see what value Qt holds for them and why on earth they'd sink large amounts of developers, time and money into something that offers them no advantage.

I keep hearing "fork! fork! fork!", but without the fine group of trolltech developers that have made Qt what it is today, it'll just be another software source respository slowly dieing.

#342515 - 17/02/2011 11:56 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Just been reading the Qt Blog. The interview with Rich Green was interesting, when he got to Qt on the desktop.

Quote:
We also have a big business in providing Qt and QML to desktops worldwide, we have 4000 licensees, and...we're obliged and we're interested in keeping that going.

That doesn't sound like they're particularly interested in the desktop market any more....

Edited by andym (17/02/2011 11:57)

Andy M

#342516 - 17/02/2011 12:19 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Originally Posted By: andym

That doesn't sound like they're particularly interested in the desktop market any more....

I've been reading and posting over there as well. The Desktop version of Qt has stagnated over the past year with Nokia (unsurprisingly) pushing ahead with the mobile ports/features of Qt.

The vagueness/openness of their statements is what is most irritating.

In the past couple of months they deprecated the entire set of Qt solutions as well, weirdly they relicensed them under a BSD license.

#342748 - 24/02/2011 10:05 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
tinachan
Unregistered

Check this to see what other developers have to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfWFvCJJaNs

At Mobile World Congress 2011 in Barcelona, developers weigh in on the planned Nokia/Microsoft Partnership giving their honest opinions on the recent news. Developers further explain what exactly the news means for them, and how it will effect their immediate and long term future.

#342750 - 24/02/2011 11:07 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: ]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tinachan
Check this to see what other developers have to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfWFvCJJaNs

Great, but I couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the mobile platform. I'd rather Nokia went to the wall and the Qt bunch got out and set themselves up as an independant company again.

I wonder if Elop still has shares in Microsoft?

Andy M

#342751 - 24/02/2011 11:17 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Originally Posted By: tinachan

Great, but I couldn't give a tinker's cuss about the mobile platform. I'd rather Nokia went to the wall and the Qt bunch got out and set themselves up as an independant company again.

I wonder if Elop still has shares in Microsoft?

Yeah, that video was just a infomercial saying how great things are going to be and that's it's all ok...humn.

I also couldn't careless about the mobile platform. All Nokia want to say on the matter is that they're going to sell 150 million more symbian phones (to who?) and that those will still rely on Qt.

Qt mobile has no long-term future, I fail to see how Nokia can justify pushing forward development on the mobile side of it, seems like a big waste of time and money.

Qt desktop has been shown little love over the past year or two.

Qt really needs to be bought by somebody else now, I cannot see any long term value in it for Nokia.

Apparently Elop sold his Microsoft shares.

Adrian

#342946 - 28/02/2011 08:03 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
tinachan
Unregistered

Qt will continue to be the development framework for Symbian and Nokia will use Symbian for further devices; continuing to develop strategic applications in Qt for Symbian platform and encouraging application developers to do the same. With 200 million users worldwide and Nokia planning to sell around 150 million more Symbian devices, Symbian still offers unparalleled geographical scale for developers.
Extending the scope of Qt further will be our first MeeGo-related open source device, which we plan to ship later this year. Though our plans for MeeGo have been adapted in light of our planned partnership with Microsoft, that device will be compatible with applications developed within the Qt framework and so give Qt developers a further device to target.

#342947 - 28/02/2011 10:50 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: ]
andym
carpal tunnel

Your statement means nothing to me. I couldn't give a flying fuck about Meego, Symbian or Windows mobile. The only platforms I have any interest in are OSX, Linux and Win32. You can bury the rest at the bottom of the north sea for all I care. Qt started on the desktop and that's where it should concentrate its efforts. The sooner Nokia spins them out as a separate business or the management buy it out, the better.

Andy M

#342948 - 28/02/2011 11:13 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: andym]
sn00p
addict

Bizarre.

Spurred on by the randomness of these posts I googled "tinachan" and found exactly the same original post text+link on other forums/blog comments etc.

I suspect the first Nokia MeeGo device will flop and will give Elop all the ammunition he needs to pull the life support from MeeGo.

I'm extremely pessimistic about the outlook for the mobile version of Qt and completely off the scale with my thoughts on the life of the desktop version.

Barring the commercial licenses, it's hard to see how Qt could go back to its original licensing model now that it's available under the LGPL.

I also wonder how likely a management buyout would be and how they could make it commercially viable, i.e how many of those with a commercial license would/could quite happily migrate over to the no cost LGPL model.

#342956 - 28/02/2011 14:00 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: andym]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I personally have zero interest in Nokia as a mobile phone hardware manufacturer or MS as an OS supplier getting together. The thing that scares the living crap out of me is what will happen to Qt.
I'm a little confused here. I'm not trying to contradict you, I probably just lack the knowledge to understand the problem.

You have your Qt software, it works for you and does what you need it to do. If Nokia abandons it, you will still have it, it will still work. Won't it?

The only issue I see is that as time goes by new hardware will arrive on which perhaps Qt won't work. Is that your concern? That is precisely why I am no longer using Ami Pro, a word processor that for my uses was hugely superior to MicroBloat Word, and if future hardware compatibility is the stumbling block, then yes you have something to worry about.

tanstaafl.

#342962 - 28/02/2011 14:31 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: tanstaafl.]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

If Qt isn't kept up to date with the latest OS developments, you won't be able to build versions of your app against those new targets.

#342969 - 28/02/2011 16:50 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: tanstaafl.]
sn00p
addict

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.

You have your Qt software, it works for you and does what you need it to do. If Nokia abandons it, you will still have it, it will still work. Won't it?

The only issue I see is that as time goes by new hardware will arrive on which perhaps Qt won't work. Is that your concern? That is precisely why I am no longer using Ami Pro, a word processor that for my uses was hugely superior to MicroBloat Word, and if future hardware compatibility is the stumbling block, then yes you have something to worry about.

The issue is much more subtle than this. Nokia purchased Trolltech (the developers of Qt) a few years back, Qt is/was a substantial framework for developing applications, such that it was sold on a per developer per platform license, each license running into several thousand euros.

For all intents and purposes, the Desktop "port" of Qt has now been in a state is stagnating for the last years, gaining features which have come from the mobile "port", nothing even remotely desktop oriented has been added during this period.

Now, I'm not saying that I'd have expected anything less from Nokia, after all, they're a mobile phone company and they did relicense it under the LGPL. They do continue to sell commerical licenses and by their own admission, they have 4000+ commercial licencees.

With the death of symbian (yes yes, Nokia are still going to ship 150 million dead on arrival symbian devices over the next couple of years) it's hard to see how Qt possibly fits into their portfolio now. They keep stating that MeeGo will continue to use Qt, but given that they've not actually shipped any MeeGo devices and their new partnership with Microsoft, it's hard to imagine why they would continue to pump vast amounts of cash and time (the Qt team is fairly large) into something which is unlikely to give anything back.

Now this leaves Qt currently in a position where Nokia keep saying (half heartedly) that they're committed to it but basing it soley on devices they haven't shipped and on platforms that aren't even ready.

This I imagine is a serious worry for those with commercial licenses, anybody who has purchased a commercial license in the last couple of years has seen nothing but bug fixes and "mobile enhancements".

It's a real shame, because Qt is just an amazing framework with a decent set of tools, the only way I can see that it can survive and flourish is if Qt becomes a separate business entity once again, but because Nokia LGPL'd it, it's going to be a much harder sell for the commercial licenses.

Adrian

#342970 - 28/02/2011 17:09 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

When I looked into it back in 2004, it was just over $6000 USD per developer for commercial use. Crazy money. At the time there was already an "open" license I believe, so what's changed since then in terms of licensing?

Is it currently possible to develop a commercial product without paying over $6000 per developer working on your project?

#342971 - 28/02/2011 17:21 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: hybrid8]
sn00p
addict

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
When I looked into it back in 2004, it was just over $6000 USD per developer for commercial use. Crazy money. At the time there was already an "open" license I believe, so what's changed since then in terms of licensing?

Is it currently possible to develop a commercial product without paying over $6000 per developer working on your project?

It was licensed either under the GPL or the commercial license. Since 4.5 (after Nokia purchase) they've also added LGPL to the mix.

To answer your question, yes, since LGPL is now an option you can develop closed source proprietary commercial software as long as you only dynamically link to the Qt binaries and that any changes you make the offer of the source to any changes you may make to your build of Qt.

I also thought the commercial licenses were a tad on the expensive side, but since I've been using it I realise why it was expensive. It's good, it's very good.

Edited by sn00p (28/02/2011 17:21)

#342973 - 28/02/2011 18:02 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
andym
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sn00p
Barring the commercial licenses, it's hard to see how Qt could go back to its original licensing model now that it's available under the LGPL.

I also wonder how likely a management buyout would be and how they could make it commercially viable, i.e how many of those with a commercial license would/could quite happily migrate over to the no cost LGPL model.

It would seem to me the main driver for keeping your commercial licence is proper support.

Andy M

#342976 - 28/02/2011 18:53 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
the only way I can see that it can survive and flourish is if Qt becomes a separate business entity once again, but because Nokia LGPL'd it, it's going to be a much harder sell for the commercial licenses.

I don't know, for a commercial business, it could actually be a good thing:
Originally Posted By: KDE Free Qt Foundation
The Foundation has a license agreement with Nokia. This agreement ensures that the Qt will continue to be available under both the LGPL 2.1 and the GPL 3. Should Nokia discontinue the development of the Qt Free Edition under these licenses, then the Foundation has the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license or under other open source licenses. The agreement stays valid in case of a buy-out, a merger or bankruptcy.

So if Nokia ditches Qt, it could end up BSD, which means commercial apps don't have to pay any licensing fees at all.

#342978 - 28/02/2011 19:08 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: andym]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

It would seem to me the main driver for keeping your commercial licence is proper support.

Aye. I did Qt development for a couple of years (all proprietary in-house software). $6000/developer (for about a half-dozen developers) was chump change for us, when you consider that licensing costs for the software that the rest of the company used ran into the millions of dollars. Although we probably could have used Qt legally without paying for a license (everyone in the company had access to the source code, and it was never distributed beyond the company), we paid for the license so we could have the support (which we used).

#342979 - 28/02/2011 19:08 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: canuckInOR]
sn00p
addict

I should also point out that there is a clause in the commercial license for Qt that means that you cannot start development (or cross) with the LGPL or GPL versions, once you use a non commercial license you cannot use a less restrictive license, regardless of whether you have such a license.

I don't know how this would play out in court, but the idea was that by having a clause like this prevents organisations paying for a single commercial seat (for final build) and then allowing all their developers to use free editions for development.

#342980 - 28/02/2011 20:06 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I also thought the commercial licenses were a tad on the expensive side, but since I've been using it I realise why it was expensive. It's good, it's very good.

Yup. Write once, run on all major platforms.
Very good

#343003 - 02/03/2011 05:43 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: mlord]
sn00p
addict

Originally Posted By: mlord

Yup. Write once, run on all major platforms.
Very good

Oh yes, but more than that, it looks and behaves natively on the major platforms, this is a major feature! Prior to V4.X of Qt it was what could be described as "clunky", never quite fitting in on any of the platforms it supported.

Here's an interesting blog comment response from one of the Qt development team.

Originally Posted By: qt team member
Good morning, and thanks for the taking the time to read the post and for great comments. For the start I’ll reply to the big topics raised, and then tackle a few individual comments after the coffee break. Before I start though, be reminded that even though I’ll try to stick to facts, how I interpret them reflects my personal view as the Head of Qt R&D in Oslo.

On the topic of Stephen Elop – I will not start speculating here. He is CEO of Nokia, he has sold his Microsoft shares and invested into Nokia, and he has in my mind lived up to his promise of (brutally) honest and transparent decision making. He and everybody else in the company wants to turn Nokia around, and from all we have heard and seen so far he believes that Qt will play a part in that, both short term and long term. We might not like his smartphone strategy, but if we don’t believe what he and his management team say publicly, then this is not going to be a very constructive discussion.

Regarding the (financial or organizational) independence of Qt in Nokia – Trolltech wasn’t profitable for many years prior to the Nokia acquisition. After the acquisition we put Qt under the LGPL, and we have by now tripled the size of our team. We have invested significantly in our QA infrastructure (automation of quality gates and continuous integration), and there is much more travel between Oslo and Australia. However, assuming that each unit in a large organization has to be profitable to justify its existence is a bit of an oversimplification. Take Google: Android itself doesn’t make money – but it’s a vehicle that brings people into the Google-Internet which in turn increases advertisement revenue.
So financial aspects do as such IMHO not play into this – Qt is an investment, and whatever money we could possibly make with Qt commercial licenses or services would barely be a blip on the radar. As long as management trusts that Qt can help Nokia, management will fund Qt – and everything we believe, and everything we have heard from top-management during the last week, is that Qt as a part of the solution, not as part of the problem.

I consider our organization to be largely independent – we have our own roadmap, we decide what positions we prioritize when we hire, we decide who to hire etc. Naturally, much of our work during the last two years was driven by requirements from other parts of Nokia, and many of the things we started up ourselves were inspired by the new opportunities we saw when working for a leading device company. Our success is of course no longer measured exclusively in “number of Qt users” (although that is still a very relevant metrics), and finding out how our success will be measured is work in progress as part of the strategy change.

I like to believe that Qt as a technology is independent of Nokia, thanks to the community of Qt users and thanks to Open Governance. There is a lot of momentum behind Qt most of which is independent of being able to target Symbian devices with Qt, and many of us get a lot of motivation from working on a technology that transcends short-term product needs and changing corporate strategies.

Qt on the desktop is currently not a priority for our R&D team [edit on February 21st: since this was frequently misunderstood as "We don't care about the desktop version of Qt", please follow the discussion further down, ie in http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/18/buckets-of-cold-water/#comment-19426 and http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/18/buckets-of-cold-water/#comment-19485 ], even though Nokia does use Qt for desktop applications (and not only Qt Creator). That doesn’t mean that nobody is working on it, however we do believe that Qt is a great development tool for desktop applications, even if we just maintain it and keep it working on the desktop platforms. We definitely want to keep it that way, and we continue to improve and modernize Qt on the desktop as well, but I personally don’t really see that there are a lot of new features we could add to make Qt significantly more powerful for desktop development (esp features that are already provided by other libraries – why cannibalize our own community?). And lastly, even with 260 engineers and growing, there is only a finite amount of work we can do, and right now we prioritize getting Qt into top-shape for embedded platforms. We do expect that many of the improvements we make there will also bring value back to desktop developers – for instance, we are working on some exciting stuff with QML, accessibility, HTML5 and improved localization support.

So, what happens 2 years from now when the last Symbian device has shipped? I don’t have that kind of crystal ball, and I generally prefer the presence to the future. From looking at the presence I believe that making Qt’s future depend on the organizations behind non-competitive Symbian devices or a single MeeGo device in 2011 would have been a strategic mistake. On one of our whiteboards in the hallway somebody quoted Abraham Lincoln: “The best way to predict the future is to create it”. Since Friday 11th we have a real chance of doing exactly that.

Trolltech was losing vast amounts of money on Qt, even their commercial licenses couldn't keep the company treading water. Given the LGPL option now, I really can't see how Qt could return to a being an independant company.

Qt Desktop is not a priority to the team. Shucks, I hadn't noticed!

And they have no idea what will happen to Qt after the last Symbian device ships.

I think I'm more worried now.

Adrian

#343004 - 02/03/2011 05:51 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
sn00p
addict

And here's a comment from the same Qt developer on how to get a bug fixed if you have a commercial license:

Originally Posted By: qt team member
If you have a commercial license with support, then use that channel to get help, possibly workarounds and maybe higher priority for the bugs. No guarantees that bugs will get fixed, but at least you’ll have somewhere to go

This seems to tally with the comments in the bug tracker for (what turned out to be) a long standing bug in Qt.

Adrian

#343011 - 02/03/2011 15:38 Re: Nokia + Microsoft [Re: sn00p]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

And they have no idea what will happen to Qt after the last Symbian device ships.

Well, since Qt runs on lots of different platforms, my guess is they'll use it to build UI elements for the new Windows mobile OS, and continue on as usual.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >