Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#345755 - 16/06/2011 04:31 Display smeared
presslab
journeyman

Loc: North Bay, CA
I picked up a used Mk2a and it has a problem. When I first powered up the unit the display looked fine, but after warming up for a half hour or so, the display is smeared side to side. And now, it is completely blank with nothing on it at all.

I checked the suspect fuse on the main board and it is fine. I even took the display board from the my other empeg and it also works fine. So it's something on the display itself.

I suspect that there is something wrong with the PIC chips. Any ideas on where I should start looking with the scope?

#345762 - 16/06/2011 13:00 Re: Display smeared [Re: presslab]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: presslab
I checked the suspect fuse on the main board and it is fine. I even took the display board from the my other empeg and it also works fine. So it's something on the display itself.
If you already looked at fuses, it probably isn't this, but on the off chance...

tansaafl.

#345767 - 16/06/2011 14:13 Re: Display smeared [Re: tanstaafl.]
presslab
journeyman

Thanks. Yeah I looked at that page, and the fuse tests fine and my other display board works in this empeg. The VFD looked different than that, it was smeared side to side, I guess that's how I would describe it.

I measured the TP1 voltage, which looks like it should be 68V, and I'm getting 117V... The capacitor is only rated to 100V, so who knows what's gone bad even after I fix the supply. smirk

I'm hoping someone has some test point I can probe to verify that the PIC is at least working, or the GAL, or something.

#345799 - 17/06/2011 15:58 Re: Display smeared [Re: presslab]
presslab
journeyman

Well, I fixed the power supply. But it looks like the VFD is smoked. I can see the serial clock signals, the filament is ok (I see it glow), and the voltage is ok now. But nothing.

#345853 - 20/06/2011 14:44 Re: Display smeared [Re: presslab]
presslab
journeyman

This looks like the same VFD glass:

http://www.noritake-itron.com/Specs/GU800/GU128X32-800B-02.pdf
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=286-1059-ND

However the vacuum nipple is in the wrong spot. Has anyone used this VFD glass? I think I can just move the VFD over a bit and it should work out okay.

#346024 - 28/06/2011 01:48 Re: Display smeared [Re: presslab]
presslab
journeyman

Thanks to a member here, I procured a replacement VFD glass. It works now!

The problem seems to be the capacitor mod to fix the glitchy dimming. I put on a 0.01 uF cap (maybe the wrong value?) and it obliterated the CS signal to the pot. This in turn cranked up the voltage to 117V which fried the VFD. frown

So instead of the cap I decided to fix the source of the problem and I put a 820 ohm resistor on the one-shot circuit. This is a resistor under the VFD; it used to be a 620 ohm if I recall. No more dimmer problems and the voltage is good now. This empeg will live on!

#346032 - 28/06/2011 10:57 Re: Display smeared [Re: presslab]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The dimming cap fix requires a 10uF 10nF capacitor.

Here's the nearly 10-year old original posting from Hugo:

Originally Posted By: altman
Re: Dimmer prob on my backup RIO (22/02/2002 05:37)

I've been looking at this on the scope and *may* have found the issue.

There is no separate chip-select line to the AD8400 dimmer chip, as we ran out of pins on the PIC. So, the CS is driven by an unused monostable from the clock line of the dimmer - when there is a clock, CS goes low and when the clock is absent for a while it goes high again.

There appears to be an issue that the R/C timing circuit for this is a bit close to the edge - ie, if the PIC is running slightly slow there will be a phantom rising edge on CS halfway through the dimmer setting byte - this is only ~20ns wide, but the dimmer chip is very fast and catches it.

The solution appears to be either to change the R/C circuit (hard, as it's under the display) or to add capacitance to the CS line to hide the glitch. On *most* mk2a players, the single chip on the back of the display board is a DIP 8400 (we couldn't source SMT ones for love nor money - they were used in some mobile phones, allegedly).

Anyway, if someone with this problem, a 10nF capacitor (SMT is ideal, very neat) and electronics knowledge/a soldering iron can try fitting it between pins 2 & 3 (ground and CS) of the AD8400 - ie, the middle 2 pins of the chip closest to the top of the display board, and see if this helps them. The one unit we've had returned which would repeatedly show this problem was fixed by this capacitor addition.

We're awaiting some more confirmation that this does address the issue before we do any warranty work.

Hugo

Edited by mlord (28/06/2011 11:01)

#346045 - 28/06/2011 14:00 Re: Display smeared [Re: mlord]
presslab
journeyman

Originally Posted By: mlord
The dimming cap fix requires a 10uF 10nF capacitor.

Ah, so I had it right then. 10 nF == 0.01 uF.