Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#346492 - 19/07/2011 06:07 Display extender - buttons not working
kjohanss
journeyman

Loc: Bjørkelangen, Norway
Hi guys

I have got the display running againg after changing two fuses on the motherboard (thank you StigOE). However, the buttons and remote control does not work.

I have checked the flat cable and all connections. It should work. What else could have been broken when I connected the display connector (on the display board it self) the wrong way?

One thing Stig discovered when changing the fuses was a resistor that looked like it was cut of. We tried to solder it on, but it made no difference. It's the one with red stripes just by the IDE connector on the picture.

Any clues to the button problem, and/or the resistor question?

Attachments
empeg-motherboard-reistance.JPG (160 downloads)

'enni mizpellings ar dju tu kompjutr error'

www.kyrre.no

Norway, Hijack'ed 120GB upgrade, MKII, tuner, green, red, blue, yellow, illuminated. Looking good!

#346493 - 19/07/2011 06:39 Re: Display extender - bottons not working [Re: kjohanss]
StigOE
addict

A quick add-on, we connected up a known working display (from my spare empeg) to the empeg and everything worked so the fault is somewhere from the display extender transmitter and out.

The mysterious resistor is 2k2.

Stig

#347326 - 08/09/2011 23:58 Re: Display extender - bottons not working [Re: StigOE]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
The line driver ICs are known to give out sometimes from static discharge. There isn't much in between transmitter board and receiver boards for the buttons so I would guess a bad IC. The control line of the display which controls the buttons and remote run through pin 6 of the display connectors. On the transmitter board, the control signal goes through pin 17 and 12 of IC34, through filter C107 pins 6 and 15 to DB-25 pin 13. On the receiver it goes through DB-25 pin 13 to filter C116 pins 15 and 6 to IC35 pins 8 and 15 and back to display connector 6.

Check all these connections again, and see if you have access to a scope see if you can find where the signal stops.

Stu

#347327 - 09/09/2011 03:20 Re: Display extender - bottons not working [Re: maczrool]
StigOE
addict

I have a scope, so if Kyrre wants to take a trip to me again, we could see if we manage to find the problem. But first I have to get home from work. Fricking helicopters...