Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#349712 - 07/01/2012 07:41 Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio?
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Okay, so I know that these players work with the Sony Stalk through the radio module, which is a great feature, but what about for all of the newer cars that have volume, track-skip and other media buttons already built-in to the steering wheels? It seems like a shame to have to waste those controls by bypassing them. In this instance I am specifically referring to the 2008 Ford Fusion and I am wondering if I purchase one of these steering-wheel control interfaces: SWI-PS (http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=210&CategoryID=29) or the SWI-RC (http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1016&CategoryID=29), would it work in the same manner as the output plug from the Sony Stalk with the 1/8” mini jack that connects into the empeg radio module? Or if something like that can be constructed inexpensively with the correct cables, harnesses, breadboard and a few solid-state electronic pieces soldered together. It could either be a 1/8” mini jack that connects into the empeg radio module or a wiring harness that bypasses the radio module and uses the serial port for the input or the radio-module harness/connector for the input.

Edited by Hollywood Justin (07/01/2012 07:48)

#349722 - 08/01/2012 03:06 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Answered in the FAQ

Short answer is yes. If you have a tuner, those should work.

If not, look at at the SWI-X.

Edited by JBjorgen (08/01/2012 03:16)

#349724 - 08/01/2012 07:39 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: JBjorgen]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Thanks for your response, John. I found these modules for about half the price on Amazon so that's where I'm going to order one from. After reading through that FAQ entry I noticed that most of those links to the companies that sell these modules are dead and the one to PAC should be added to the list of links (and perhaps Amazon?):

Pacific Accessory Corporation: pac-audio.com

#349818 - 15/01/2012 01:04 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Three more items:

a) Does anyone know of any universal steering-wheel-control interfaces that auto-recognize the stereo (empeg tuner in this case) that would work with the empeg’s tuner module such as this one, perhaps?

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-ASWC-Univers...d=3MVCXGE3CW41E

Edited by Hollywood Justin (15/01/2012 01:07)

#349819 - 15/01/2012 01:04 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

b) Is it possible and feasible to connect two steering-wheel-control interfaces to two different car stereos that operate simultaneously where one is the aux input into the other? Obviously you wouldn’t want to program the volume control on both, but perhaps track-skip on both since the command would only be pertinent to the stereo playing music or tracks as the other one would be in auxiliary-input mode.

#349820 - 15/01/2012 01:04 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

c) I've been told that on occasion, as often as 1 out of 20 or 1 out of 25 car-stereo installs where steering-wheel controls are involved even done by professionals, the air-bag deploys costing hundreds or even $1500 in replacement and repair costs. Are there steps that can be taken to insure that this sort of risk is minimized such as disconnecting the battery or the air-bag fuse in order to disarm the bag and prevent this kind of accident? Likewise, are there things to avoid doing that would set off the air-bag? Does anyone know the most at-risk vehicles to not attempt DIY installs with?

#349821 - 15/01/2012 03:01 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
The owner's manual for my car has specific instructions as to how to prevent air-bag deployment during servicing. I suggest you check the manual for your vehicle for similar instructions.

#349840 - 17/01/2012 07:37 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: mlord]
Hollywood Justin
journeyman

Has anyone successfully used any wired remote interfaces that emulate the Sony stalk such as the Metra Axxess universal or the PAC SWI-PS? I had Best Buy’s Geek Squad try to install both of these devices: the Axxess one was only able to control volume intermittently and the PAC one didn't do anything except that in one mode (I think JVC-mode) it was constantly sending change-visualization command which I guess would equate to either a shifted seek-up or a shifted seek-down command coming from the Sony stalk.

Notes: The 100-ohm resistor that came with the PAC SWI-PS kit that we were supposed to use (and did use) in-line with the positive wire measured at 99 on initial contact and then dropped down and stabilized at 98.7 ohms. The tuner module that I have in that car is one that I bought used and it was exposed to water so it is possible that some circuitry may have been compromised; however, the radio itself works just fine so I have no reason to suspect that the remote jack would be damaged other than the lack of functionality with these steering-wheel-control interfaces. This knowledge cost me over $80 dollars so I’d greatly appreciate it if anyone gives me any useful feedback or tips. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hollywood Justin (17/01/2012 07:37)

#349847 - 17/01/2012 16:23 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: Hollywood Justin]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
It's been a while, but IIRC there's a function in HiJack to show what codes/values are received and also a function to [re]map incoming values to button codes - I'm sure Mark can expand on that...

#349872 - 18/01/2012 17:24 Re: Is there a way to utilize steering wheel controls with the empeg/Rio? [Re: mtempsch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yup, that stuff is linked in the FAQ entry.