Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#35233 - 29/07/2001 16:39 Automatic recently transfered file folder
alear
enthusiast

Loc: Montana, USA, Bozeman
I currently place a link to all recently uploaded songs in a seperate playlist called "New" in addition to the appropiate place.

It would be nice if emplode, or more likely the player software, automatically kept a folder like this for me in the playlists. I would also like to automatically remove files from this folder after a period of time (2 weeks, 1 month, etc.) so only new files are in there.

Alex Lear

#35234 - 29/07/2001 22:23 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: alear]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Wow, what a neat idea.

Although the time limit could probably be more easily based on the number of synchs instead of a real-time-clock, it would still be very useful to have something like that.

I would love to be able to dial up a playlist of "newest tracks added". Whenever I buy CDs from Amazon, I usually get them in batches of 3 or so. Such a playlist would allow me to easily select those three albums and shuffle their tracks instead of choosing them one at a time.

As you pointed out, you can do this by hand simply by creating a playlist and dragging those tracks into it, but having it be a built-in feature would be nifty.

I wonder if the database keeps track of how recently a file has been synched?

#35235 - 29/07/2001 22:33 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I would love to be able to dial up a playlist of "newest tracks added"

One way to do this is to do kind of the reverse of what you customarily do when you add new tracks... instead of adding the new tracks to the appropriate playlists and scattering them throughout the empeg, always place the new tracks in the "New Tracks" playlist and just leave them there. As you become accustomed to them and decide where they should go, just move them out one track at a time or one album at a time whenver the thought hits you when you are doing a resynch. This way you have control over how long they stay in "New Tracks" and you can keep your "New Tracks" playlist as big or small as you l ike, and always have it available for random play.without the bother of linking the songs in more than one playlist..

I have a playlist called "Trial" that I reserve for songs that a guy in California sends to me on occasion. They are diverse enough that I don't know where they will end up until I have lived with them for a few weeks. Then I move them as appropriate. Sort of the same thing as the above paragraph...

tanstaafl

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#35236 - 29/07/2001 22:51 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have a playlist called "Trial" that I reserve for songs that a guy in California sends to me on occasion. They are diverse enough that I don't know where they will end up until I have lived with them for a few weeks.

Sounds like this Californian has pretty eclectic tastes. Don't know if that's a good thing or not...

#35237 - 30/07/2001 03:47 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I wonder if the database keeps track of how recently a file has been synched?

emplode v1.1 (except we're calling it v2.0 now) puts this information in two extra tags called (after Unix) ctime and mtime. There's not a lot you can do with them yet, but we're always open to suggestions.

It should be possible to rustle up a custom shuffle that uses them. Of course, this is v2.0 functionality as well.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#35238 - 30/07/2001 07:31 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: Roger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
Just putting in my vote - This would be a cool feature.

32GB (JUST UPGRADED!) Mk. II BLUE
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

#35239 - 30/07/2001 09:17 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hello.

Just putting in my vote - This would be a cool feature.

AOL(*)

cu,
sven

*: For those of you who don't know what happened in the early days of AOL internet (especially news) access: AOL users usually did a full quote followed by an "add me" or "me too". This soon got a running gag, so anyone who wanted to second a certain statement or opinion just wrote "AOL".

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, #080000113)

#35240 - 30/07/2001 09:31 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It should be possible to rustle up a custom shuffle that uses them. Of course, this is v2.0 functionality as well.

Of course! DUH! (Sound of Tony smacking his forehead.)

For those who don't understand what Roger just said...

The Release Formerly Known As 1.1 will have the ability to define your own shuffle modes.

Now, these modes aren't in a pretty UI-controlled box or anything. As I recall, they require editing the config.ini or some such. But if you're willing to do that, you can create your own custom shuffle modes. By default, you get modes like "Least recently played" or "Least often played", and you can add ones of your own.

Roger is saying that, if you wanted to, you could create a custom shuffle that weighted "Most recently synched" items to the top of the shuffle. This is, if I'm reading him correctly, present in the current 1.1^h^h^h 2.0 code.

This doesn't actually create an automatic "new stuff" playlist in Emplode, so it might not be what the original post was suggesting, but it would certainly be a cool way to use that variable.

#35241 - 30/07/2001 10:57 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Now, these modes aren't in a pretty UI-controlled box or anything

...yet.

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

#35242 - 30/07/2001 14:29 Re: Automatic recently transfered file folder [Re: smu]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Well.... then... AOL ! :)

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg