Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#359121 - 11/07/2013 23:52 Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection?
snowcrash
journeyman

Y'all, I was going to sign in and tender a complaint that Off-Topic was getting a little mundane. But then I discovered that I may have terminated my old account/password with extreme prejudice.

No worry, I realized, as I don't really want an account/avatar with a real name in it (not in these days and times, anyway) so maybe time to reset the post count to zero and embark on some low-level reinvention.

OK, beyond complaining about a very sedate Off-Topic, my reason to create yet another account is to pose the very simple question:

Edward Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection?

(Some sort of sig to follow, will try to avoid sock puppetness.)

#359123 - 11/07/2013 23:56 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Out of curiosity, what was your old account name?

#359125 - 12/07/2013 00:03 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: JBjorgen]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
Out of curiosity, what was your old account name?

I hope to live out my years in peace and relative anonymity. To further my progress in that realm, I am trying to reduce my metadata profile on the InterWeb.

So I'd rather not say. Consider me a naked infant reborn, albeit with a lot of weird Empeg baggage.

#359130 - 12/07/2013 12:25 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: snowcrash
So I'd rather not say. Consider me a naked infant reborn, albeit with a lot of weird Empeg baggage.
Your name's not Paul, by any chance?

tanstaafl.

#359131 - 12/07/2013 12:27 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
I hope to live out my years in peace and relative anonymity. To further my progress in that realm, I am trying to reduce my metadata profile on the InterWeb.

Uh...okay.

Of course, it's a little like Cobert's "great President or greatest President" question.

I say neither. He's a whistleblower.

And at the very least, if he's in the pillory (I sense you're British), he'd better be up there with Clapper.

Edited by Dignan (12/07/2013 12:27)

#359132 - 12/07/2013 12:35 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: tanstaafl.]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Your name's not Paul, by any chance?

tanstaafl.

Good grief, no! And he wasn't even unhip to use his actual name as a handle. I was very naive in 1999. Oh, and I am not really trying to be coy, but I am working on a little more anonymity and abstraction. I mean, how much can you talk about somebody like Snowden on a crawled BBS like this before you wind up on a no-fly list? I got a vacation coming up!

#359133 - 12/07/2013 12:44 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Dignan]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Dignan

Of course, it's a little like Cobert's "great President or greatest President" question.

Or "Please tell the jury when you stopped beating your wife!". That was kind of the idea, going off of what I see for news coverage of the PRISM affair. Oh, scratch that. The *Snowden* traitor affair! I have to rely on a *British* newspaper to get any news!

Quote:
I say neither. He's a whistleblower.

And at the very least, if he's in the pillory (I sense you're British), he'd better be up there with Clapper.

I'm with you on that. I would hereby formally offer to have Snowden's love child. If I weren't so old. And a guy.

#359134 - 12/07/2013 13:14 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I've been more interested in the response to what he leaked then the man behind the leak. It's brought up some rather uncomfortable questions in the international community, and I'm rather curious to see how they are resolved.

Overall I'm just happy to see that as we continue to see computing and information usage grow rapidly around the world, our ability to expose unlawful activity by public officials is increasing. I do fear mob justice at times too though with this newfound power to broadcast information so quickly and to so many people.

#359137 - 12/07/2013 14:09 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: drakino
I've been more interested in the response to what he leaked then the man behind the leak.

Agreed. I've been a little surprised at the lack of outrage from most people. I would have thought this would be a much bigger problem for the public, but it seems to be mostly the techies that are ticked off. I feel like the people understand the issue, they're just willing to give up those freedoms because they're scared...

#359138 - 12/07/2013 16:04 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
Redrum
old hand

While I enjoyed how Paul mixed things up he went too far and deserved what he got, if not more.

Snowden - He pointed out the obvious (at least it was to me) so to me his actions were not big deal. However the argument that “Enemies” will now be better informed is perhaps a good one. If one act of terrorism or killing of someone is enabled by his actions then he should reap the consequences. Also no doubt he signed his rights away to discuss such things when he took his confidential job. Signing your name should mean something.

#359140 - 12/07/2013 16:42 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Redrum]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
In these days of outsourcing and subcontracting, there must have been thousands of people who knew that three-letter agencies were routinely disregarding the Fourth Amendment and lying to Congress about doing so. Only one spoke out.

America, he was your last patriot. I hope he turned the lights out when he left.

Peter

#359141 - 12/07/2013 16:47 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: peter]
Redrum
old hand

So England’s house is clean hu. Or maybe a patriot will come forward to help you.

#359143 - 12/07/2013 16:52 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Redrum]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
We don't even *have* a Fourth Amendment. What they routinely do here is therefore even worse, and they don't even really have to lie about it.

Peter

#359144 - 12/07/2013 17:22 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Redrum]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Redrum
...... Signing your name should mean something.

It sure does. If you are Wilhelm Keitel or Alfred Jodl it means the Amis hang you.

The "solemn oath" argument didn't work out so hot.

#359145 - 12/07/2013 17:31 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: peter]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: peter
In these days of outsourcing and subcontracting, there must have been thousands of people who knew that three-letter agencies were routinely disregarding the Fourth Amendment and lying to Congress about doing so. Only one spoke out.

Only one.

Quote:
America, he was your last patriot. I hope he turned the lights out when he left.

I have been focused on Snowden, his situation, and whether he can get somewhere safe. Soon. My hope being that then we can return to the bigger discussion of what to do with what he has given us. That is a pretty faint hope, though, I'll admit.

#359146 - 12/07/2013 17:47 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
Redrum
old hand

I guess I’m thinking off topic here as far as “signing.” This goes much deeper for Snowden.

It just annoys me that someone can sign a binding contract (say the loan on a house) and just walk away if they change their mind. Or sign to do something and then just not do it if it doesn’t suit them.

I know there are minor penalties but it seams many have no moral problem with this sort of thing.

Maybe it’s my grumpy old man coming through – “Kids today…..”

#359147 - 12/07/2013 18:28 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Redrum]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I should point out, Mr snowcrash, that not having your name on here doesn't really mean much. It's likely trivial for the NSA to figure out who you are.

All you're really doing is ensuring that when they come to take you away, the people here won't know how to ask around about your disappearance because WE don't know who you are.

#359148 - 12/07/2013 18:50 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
It's likely trivial for the NSA to figure out who you are.

Cool. Could they tell me who I am?

#359149 - 12/07/2013 19:37 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
When you take a job like that, you sign your life away. They tell you repeatedly that disclosing information is treason. Retraining every so often so you don't forget, etc. It is a binding contract between you and the USG for the rest of your life.

There could have been other ways he handled it, but he committed treason on so many different levels, there is no way he should be treated as a saint.

#359151 - 12/07/2013 21:24 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Dignan]
snowcrash
journeyman

I should point out, Mr snowcrash, that not having your name on here doesn't really mean much. It's likely trivial for the NSA to figure out who you are.

I changed my haircut!

Quote:
All you're really doing is ensuring that when they come to take you away, the people here won't know how to ask around about your disappearance because WE don't know who you are.

I just wouldn't want you to worry. And you'd probably just wind up on the no-fly list, too!

I'd think my cheerful demeanor would make my identity obvious, esp to the few folks in this thread I have met in person.

#359152 - 12/07/2013 21:34 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Tim]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Tim
When you take a job like that, you sign your life away. They tell you repeatedly that disclosing information is treason. Retraining every so often so you don't forget, etc. It is a binding contract between you and the USG for the rest of your life.

Why do I feel the urge to go home and watch _Downfall_?

Quote:
There could have been other ways he handled it,

Enlighten me on those other ways he could have revealed what he revealed.

Quote:
but he committed treason on so many different levels,

What levels are those? Daniel Ellsberg was likewise charged under the Espionage Act, but today walks the streets of the USA without a tracking bracelet. I hope that some day in the future Snowden will get to walk the streets of the USA. Without an ankle bracelet, even.

Quote:
there is no way he should be treated as a saint.

I guess that's true. He's embarrassed a lot of people who might even believe that they mean well. And the Vatican hasn't OK'd the second miracle.

#359153 - 12/07/2013 22:04 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
There could have been other ways he handled it,

Enlighten me on those other ways he could have revealed what he revealed.

Classified information abuse lines for one.

but he committed treason on so many different levels,

What levels are those? Daniel Ellsberg was likewise charged under the Espionage Act, but today walks the streets of the USA without a tracking bracelet. I hope that some day in the future Snowden will get to walk the streets of the USA. Without an ankle bracelet, even.

He should have been, but since I wasn't around at the time, I can't say what went on. What I can say is Snowden stole classified information, released that information, and released that information to a foreign entity which has more severe penalties depending on the markings of the document.

#359154 - 12/07/2013 22:14 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Redrum
Snowden - He pointed out the obvious (at least it was to me) so to me his actions were not big deal.

There has always been a strong suspicion of what was happening (as far as post 9/11 stuff), but no solid proof in the public realm. We learned a little bit in 2005 from Mark Klein exposing the AT&T wiretapping. In 2012, 3 NSA whistleblowers came forward to confirm the AT&T involvement.

Snowden has gone forward with providing more evidence to show what is going on, with enough depth to reveal the full program name and reaches. It's the difference between having hearsay vs real evidence. Very useful for establishing standing for legal cases to proceed. And a number of them have begun to be filed and given the goahead from judges to proceed.

#359156 - 14/07/2013 00:18 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: drakino]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Clearly a contract that violates law (in such a basic, fundamental way) is to be consider void. And you, as a citizen finding out about it, are actually in a moral obligation to to what the guy did.

All this assuming Prism is in fact illegal, and that Snowden had info to reasonably believe something illegal and very wrong was being done.

This, of course, in pure principle.

In reality - but we no nothing about it - everything and its contrary is possible; Snowden could be an secret services agent playing a role in a major deception plan to public opinion to do who knows what behind the scenes, and you can think of all conspitacy theories you want. Or not. Who knows?
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#359244 - 27/07/2013 00:48 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: Taym]
snowcrash
journeyman

We can rejoice. AG Holder has ruled out execution and/or torture.

What a low point the US has reached when we need to stipulate to such

#359246 - 27/07/2013 04:41 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: snowcrash]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

No. He has only announced that - an act that makes it much harder for many countries to grant Snowden asylum (as risking death or torture is often one of the key criteria). Of course the opinion can always change after Snowden is in US hands...

#359251 - 27/07/2013 21:33 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: julf]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: julf
Quote:

Sarcasm

[quote]

No. He has only announced that - an act that makes it much harder for many countries to grant Snowden asylum (as risking death or torture is often one of the key criteria). Of course the opinion can always change after Snowden is in US hands...

Understand completely. The cynical maneuvering making it all the more nauseating. I think that if I had somehow convinced myself to vote for Obama I would be slitting my wrists right now.

But do I expect good faith from *PUTIN*? Nyet.

Snowden: half my age, twice the guts. Vaya con Dios, man.

#359284 - 01/08/2013 01:17 What's in *your* X-KeyScore? [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash
journeyman

I mean, other than the case of the display extender, how often do you get bonafide Top Secret info on the EmpegBBS?

Oh, I suppose I should reference the latest slide show from the Snowden-Greenwald conspiracy:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data

Attachments
xkeyscore.png (459 downloads)

#359285 - 01/08/2013 01:39 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: tfabris]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: tfabris
It's likely trivial for the NSA to figure out who you are.

Cool. Could they tell me who I am?

I want to file a complaint that you have given me a bad Supertramp earworm problem. On the other hand, I talked with Stone's people and I think they are agreed that this should be in the soundtrack.

#359292 - 02/08/2013 07:55 Re: Snowden: Pillory or Lethal Injection? [Re: peter]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Originally Posted By: peter
We don't even *have* a Fourth Amendment. What they routinely do here is therefore even worse, and they don't even really have to lie about it.

Neither do we, in Italy. But, it's also just a bit worse. Last Dec 24th a DPDM (Prime Minister's Decree, if u pass me the inaccurate translation) stated that any digital info in any db of any company (ISP included) must be disclosed to investigating authorities if such authorities think accessing them *could* be useful for matters of National Interest. So, not only we don't have a Fourth Amendment, but now its opposite legal principle is a law (approved bypassing Parliament).
So, Secret Services here can just "tap any digital wire" as they please.
Interestingly, this thing had NO media coverage at all.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >