Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36061 - 08/08/2001 00:59 Speaking of EQ:
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Is it possible to turn off an EQ channel?
At the moment the EQ operates in a glorified graphic eq mode. If the number of operating eq channels was variable it would be a fair bit more flexible. With only 3 channels; low, mid and high; you can get a nice even curve "smilie face". Currently the eq needs a fair bit of tweaking so the bands dont interfere with eachother.

Possible or not?

Murray 06000047
I don't think, therefore I am not.

#36062 - 08/08/2001 07:28 Re: Speaking of EQ: [Re: muzza]
bonzi
pooh-bah

Loc: Croatia
Is it possible to turn off an EQ channel?
At the moment the EQ operates in a glorified graphic eq mode. If the number of operating eq channels was variable it would be a fair bit more flexible. With only 3 channels; low, mid and high; you can get a nice even curve "smilie face". Currently the eq needs a fair bit of tweaking so the bands dont interfere with eachother.

As EQ is parametric, you can do whatever you want . To make it 3-channel, define centroid frequency for all other channels as, say 20kHz or near it, gain 0, Q 0 (that is, out of audible range, no gain, infinitely narrow, in effect switching them off). Then define the remaining three channel's parameters as you wish; don't forget to widen them, though. (I admit I never tried this - I still keep frequencies as predefined and Qs in automatic mode.)

Perhaps 4x5 channel mode is close enough to your idea.

Finally, I seem to remember that a simple bass/treble control for EQ challenged accessible through the knob was planed.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue

#36063 - 08/08/2001 09:17 Re: Speaking of EQ: [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
EQ bands which are set to a gain of 0db are essentially "off". Only when you drag a band away from 0 is it doing anything.

As Bonzi said, each band is parametric and you can adjust its width to your liking. So if you only want to adjust two or three bands, go for it.

In practice, however, more bands is always better. You might think all you want is a big smiley-face, but the truth is that fine corrections of narrow bands is where the most benefit happens.