Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#361024 - 17/02/2014 18:26 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: K447
This is the sort of discussion underlying the DIY PC situation;
Quote:
... there are individuals who are "permanently fixated in a DIY worldview who can never be convinced to buy systems from OEMs." But this group of PC builders is a "small and ever declining portion of the PC using population."

For all intents and purposes, the homebrew PC is dead within the business and dying (albeit slowly) within the consumer market.

Um, yes, it's true. What's your point? Because something is less popular, nobody should do it?

Originally Posted By: How the 'value trap' squeezes Windows PC makers' revenues and profits
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/20...enovo-asus-acer
... She notes that once you go outside the top-tier manufacturers, "then there's Apple, and Samsung, and Sony, which are more consumer and lifestyle brands, where they can ask for a premium price." Doing that, of course, generally points to better margins. Samsung shipped around 11m PCs in 2013, and Sony slightly fewer than 5m, according to IDC. Apple sells around 16m PCs per year...
Apple isn't a top-tier brand? confused

Who are you talking to?
I was rebutting the author of the quoted article.

I would never suggest that declining popularity is reason alone to avoid a project. Merely that the DIY approach is aligned against the trends in scale and pricing.

#361026 - 18/02/2014 03:18 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: K447]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Are there not Windows utilities that could provide the same or very similar keyboard macro (text expansion) functionality in software?
In a word: No.

There are solutions that can be coerced into performing the same functions, but are so cumbersome to use that, for my purposes, they are not usable.

To set up a macro with my keyboard, I press the Macro key to enter macro mode, I press the key in which to store the macro, I type the macro, then press the Macro key to end recording. That's three keystrokes in addition to the macro itself. To run the macro, I press whatever key I used to store the macro.

The solutions I have seen involve taking the mouse to click an icon that starts the macro creation program, wait while the macro screen comes up, type in the name of the macro and what directory you wish to save it in, type the macro, save the macro, then exit the macro creation program. To run the macro, call up the macro program, scroll through a list of saved macros, select the one you want to run, then run it and finally exit the macro program. It just isn't the sort of thing I would bother with to, for instance, add a short text string to six selected cells in an Excel spreadsheet.

tanstaafl.

#361027 - 18/02/2014 09:54 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Which keyboard do you use? I use the macro function on my keyboard fairly frequently, and they released a USB version as an upgrade to the original PS/2 version quite some time ago.

#361028 - 18/02/2014 11:53 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Which keyboard do you use?

Looking at previous posts, it looks like it's the Gateway Anykey. I'm assuming that this keyboard stores the macro in hardware, which appears to be a difference between it and the current macro keyboards that I'm able to find on Amazon, which seem to indicate that they still require software to be installed on the computer in order for macros to function. I don't know if this is a distinction that matters in practice. The other difference is it seems that all current keyboards that tout macro capability are hideous gaming keyboards that look like they have terrible ergonomics.

#361031 - 18/02/2014 13:57 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Mine stores the macros on the hardware, but I wasn't about to suggest it. We know how open to change Doug is wink

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac/

#361033 - 18/02/2014 15:33 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: Tim]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Originally Posted By: Tim
Mine stores the macros on the hardware, but I wasn't about to suggest it. We know how open to change Doug is wink

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac/
Doug might find 48 macros of up to 56 characters to be too paltry for his needs anyway, considering this post. smile

#361042 - 18/02/2014 19:55 Re: No video - Good News -- Bad News ? [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
One last requirement I have that will sound ridiculous and trivial to you, but is an absolute, 100% guaranteed deal-breaker for me: I absolutely have to be able to use my existing PS-2 keyboard on whatever new machine I purchase or create.

A lot of a-la-carte motherboards still sport PS/2 jacks. Not so many name brand computers do. But there are PS2/USB dongles out there for $10 or so that will allow full use of your beloved Anykey board with any mobo.

Cheers

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2