Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36141 - 08/08/2001 14:44 tuner digitize/pause/rewind/fast forward
vharron
new poster

Loc: San Diego, California
I'm sure you've thought of this, but I wanted to encourage you to implement it.

You should add TiVo-like features to the empeg + tuner combo that allows you to pause, rewind and fast forward live radio. As I understand from a previous post, it's not possible to achieve this with the current models. I eagerly await the Mk3 player (sometime after I get my Mk2 tuner!)

Ideally, N radio tuners & A/D converters would allow you to record your N favorite stations so you can skip bad songs and commercials. Now that's a feature that would sell units.

Vince Harron
Senior Programmer
Sony Online Entertainment

#36142 - 09/08/2001 05:15 Re: tuner digitize/pause/rewind/fast forward [Re: vharron]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Another feature if there's ever a Mk3 that can read the audio from the tuner and record it:

Some of the new Sony head units (and probably others) will wake up when they get RDS traffic announce and record it for when you get back. The empeg's memory will hold a few minutes of 12-bit mono at 16k samples - and there's some writable disk if anyone wants more...

To make this really useful for those with a morning commute, the unit should be able to boot to standby from a timer half an hour before you set off.

--
Toby Speight

#36143 - 09/08/2001 09:53 Re: tuner digitize/pause/rewind/fast forward [Re: tms13]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The Mk2 can do this, but only if it's playing the audio at the same time. The audio from the tuner comes into the system as FM-MPX (stereo multiplex) and so we couldn't sample stereo directly.

If you were happy with mono, you could split the harness to the radio module and hook it to an aux input, then record this :)

The original head unit in the European New Beetle has this as standard too.

Hugo

#36144 - 09/08/2001 11:00 Re: tuner digitize/pause/rewind/fast forward [Re: altman]
tms13
old hand

Loc: Lochcarron and Edinburgh
Hugo wrote:

> The Mk2 can do this, but only if it's playing the audio at the same time.

That would be cool for recording TA during standby, though I guess we might miss a bit during the wake-up. Useless for the OP who wanted to record the other channel.

> The audio from the tuner comes into the system as FM-MPX (stereo multiplex) and so we couldn't sample stereo directly.

I'm not sure what you mean here - for traffic information, mono is sufficient (and preferred if we're storing into our limited RAM), so couldn't we just filter out the stereo subchannel?

> If you were happy with mono, you could split the harness to the radio module and hook it to an aux input, then record this :)

I don't have any other use for the Aux in, so that's a possibility. But if the Record TA feature was put into the player, it would perhaps be unreasonable to ask everyone to do that!

--
Toby Speight