Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#361816 - 28/05/2014 16:39 No hard drive found...
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Yeah... my drive is dead. Or it's the headers, I haven't pulled it apart to check, yet. What I have noticed, is that when the player starts the boot sequence, and can't find the hard drive, it no longer turns off when the ignition is turned off -- the only way to power off the player is pull the sled. Why doesn't it power off? Is that because the proper loss-of-power handling code is in the kernel, which is supposed to come from disk?

#361817 - 28/05/2014 17:08 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Check the AC/DC Power Status from the Hijack menu.
If the setting is "normal" or "no-loopback", and the status says "AC/Home", then the AC-Power jack on the empeg is b0rked and should get replaced.

Otherwise it might have something to do with the hard drive failure.

#361818 - 28/05/2014 17:15 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The kernel comes from flash, but the player software etc.. is on disk. I dunno where the power-fail handling is, but a lot of it resides in the kernel.

#361828 - 29/05/2014 14:34 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Check the AC/DC Power Status from the Hijack menu.
If the setting is "normal" or "no-loopback", and the status says "AC/Home", then the AC-Power jack on the empeg is b0rked and should get replaced.

Otherwise it might have something to do with the hard drive failure.

This behaviour is seen in when docked in the car, so it shouldn't be the jack -- I'll check to make sure.

#361829 - 29/05/2014 14:42 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

The kernel comes from flash, but the player software etc.. is on disk. I dunno where the power-fail handling is, but a lot of it resides in the kernel.

I'd expect there's some power-fail handling in the player -- doesn't it update the flash for playlist/song/position for play-on-resume? I wouldn't expect the kernel to know song details like that.

So perhaps it's a hybrid where the kernel can't complete the power-fail handling, because it's waiting for the player process (which doesn't exist). That makes sense to me, because I've also noticed that if I start the car and turn off the ignition before the player has finished booting the kernel and starting the player software, the empeg doesn't drop into standby.

#361832 - 29/05/2014 18:31 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Your original description can be a bit confusing.

Are you complaining about:

(1) player not powering off in-car?
(2) player not finding hard drive?
(3) something else?

If (1), then CHECK THE AC/DC POWER STATUS from the Hijack menu. If it incorrectly shows "AC/Home" when in-car, then that should explain why it fails to power off correctly. The solution in this case is to replace the "AC" power jack (which contains the contacts to distinguish AC/DC).

#361840 - 29/05/2014 21:29 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If Mark's suggestions don't bear fruit, then also check the things listed in this FAQ entry:

Why doesn't my player go into standby mode when I turn off the ignition?

#361858 - 30/05/2014 19:03 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Your original description can be a bit confusing.

Are you complaining about:

(1) player not powering off in-car?

This one. Although, I'm not complaining -- more that I'm curious about the cause, as it wasn't expected behaviour.

Quote:
(2) player not finding hard drive?

Not really concerned by this -- it's pretty well covered by the FAQ. I've been seeing an increasing number of disk errors during playback over the last few months, but it's not high on my priority list to get fixed.

Quote:
If (1), then CHECK THE AC/DC POWER STATUS from the Hijack menu. If it incorrectly shows "AC/Home" when in-car, then that should explain why it fails to power off correctly. The solution in this case is to replace the "AC" power jack (which contains the contacts to distinguish AC/DC).

Negative -- it's reported as DC. But the disk has (temporarily?) come back to life, so I didn't test when it's hung up. I'll try again when I'm getting the "no disk" error.

#361859 - 30/05/2014 19:04 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
If Mark's suggestions don't bear fruit, then also check the things listed in this FAQ entry:

Why doesn't my player go into standby mode when I turn off the ignition?

I should add that the player behaves correctly all the rest of the time. It's only when the disk fails that it doesn't drop back to standby (or turn off).

#361864 - 31/05/2014 14:13 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
I should add that the player behaves correctly all the rest of the time. It's only when the disk fails that it doesn't drop back to standby (or turn off).

If you get to "unhappy tux" -- disk failure -- then, no, the player will not turn off with the ignition. At least, it didn't for me (v3a11).

#361865 - 31/05/2014 15:31 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mmm.. I could probably fix that in Hijack. Wonder how common this failure mode is?

#361869 - 31/05/2014 16:05 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
Ross Wellington
enthusiast

Hi,

The hung player is very repeatable if the drives are not visible. You can't power it off, you have to remove it from the sled in that state. When you remove it, you can hear the drives spin down.

Ross

#361870 - 31/05/2014 16:22 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, I found the code that takes care of this stuff. Normally, the player application will see that ACC (ACCessory) power went away, and then call into the empeg_power driver with ioctl(fd,EMPEG_POWER_TURNOFF) to turn things off.

So I suppose what we could do, is have Hijack poll the ACC power status (only when on DC power), and do a timed power off as a failsafe. Say, allow 30 seconds or something for the player to do it normally, and force it off if that time limit expires.

Isn't there a setting somewhere for how long to keep the power on after ACC goes off? Hijack could use that value, plus a little, as its timeout.

Edit: Yes, there is such a setting in config.ini:

[power]
off_timeout=3000

I'll implement this later today. Remind me if I forget though!

Edited by mlord (31/05/2014 16:28)

#361873 - 31/05/2014 18:24 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: canuckInOR]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Okay, implemented and tested in v517. And while doing so, I accidently fried one of my empeg display boards. frown Magic smoke and all. Will have to try fixing that on some other day.

#361899 - 02/06/2014 15:17 Re: No hard drive found... [Re: mlord]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Okay, implemented and tested in v517.

Sweet! Thanks, Mark.

Quote:
And while doing so, I accidently fried one of my empeg display boards. frown Magic smoke and all. Will have to try fixing that on some other day.

frown That sucks.