Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36505 - 14/08/2001 09:49 Programmed Tuner Record
andrew walker
new poster

Loc: Midlands, UK
Am I ever likely to see a time when i can...

1) Program the empeg to turn itself on at 11am
2) Set it to tune itself to 97.9 FM
3) Start recording (be it low bit rate)
4) Stop after one hour
5) Automatically turn itself off

I think my car battery will be up to the task.
The amp remote doesnt need to be on as I will be in the office working away while my lovely empeg is recording my favourite radio program for me.

What is the current consumption when I see the blue flashing LED. Could I leave the empeg in this state if its not possible to turn itself on from being completely off.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, I would really like this.

#36506 - 14/08/2001 10:11 Re: Programmed Tuner Record [Re: andrew walker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The problem with doing this is the hard disk. When in the car, they deliberately mount the hard disk in read-only mode to prevent damage to the file system in the event of a bump. And since the tuner is only available on the car docking sled, there's no point in making this available on AC power.

I guess they could stream radio data to the scratch partition, but I don't think it's got enough space to record an hour of audio.

There's nothing to prevent someone else from writing a third-party timer-record application, though. Anyone want to try it?

#36507 - 15/08/2001 05:16 Re: Programmed Tuner Record [Re: tfabris]
andrew walker
new poster

Loc: Midlands, UK
Who controls the size of the scratch partition?

Can it be made user selectable to allow 1 hours worth of audio?

mmm, why is record mode a lot more succeptable to bumps then?

#36508 - 15/08/2001 09:50 Re: Programmed Tuner Record [Re: andrew walker]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Who controls the size of the scratch partition? Can it be made user selectable to allow 1 hours worth of audio?

The partition sizes are hard-coded by the builder and upgrade software. When you apply a software upgrade, it replaces an entire partition, so it's vital that you don't muck about with the partition sizes.

why is record mode a lot more succeptable to bumps then?

If the music partition (the big one) was mounted in read-write mode, if there were a disk error during a write, it could potentially destroy the file-index table and make all of your music disappear. Leaving this partition in read-only mode is simply one of the player's safety precautions.

#36509 - 16/08/2001 02:49 Re: Programmed Tuner Record [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
When in the car, they deliberately mount the hard disk in read-only mode to prevent damage to the file system in the event of a bump.

Power outages, not bumps, are the problem. A head crash during read is just as fatal as a head crash during write. Of course, the head's much harder to crash when the disk is spun down -- recording in-car also means you can't spin the disk down.

Peter