Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#36670 - 15/08/2001 19:55 Factory Spks + Sub

My current setup drives the factory speakers through a quad amp. Now, i recall reading somewhere on this BBS that a sub complementes factory speakers and makes up for their biggest weakness. Bass.
I am thinking about the Pioneer TS-WX20LPA.
Is it okay if i simply Y-off the rear outputs and use them for the amp and the rear spks?
Or i could use the Y cable for the front outputs and drive all 4 factory speakers with them and use the rear outputs excusively for the amp.

Thoughts?

#36671 - 16/08/2001 08:51 Re: Factory Spks + Sub [Re: 753]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Is it okay if i simply Y-off the rear outputs and use them for the amp and the rear spks? Or i could use the Y cable for the front outputs and drive all 4 factory speakers with them and use the rear outputs excusively for the amp.

Yes, both of these things will work. Your choice is: Do you want the fader to control the front/rear balance of the regular speakers, or do you want the fader to control the subwoofer level? I recently switched from the former to the latter, and it works OK for me.

Note that some amplifiers come with a "pass through" output, allowing you to do this without a Y cable.

#36672 - 16/08/2001 12:04 Re: Factory Spks + Sub [Re: tfabris]

Unfortunaly my amp doesnt have these outputs. However, i think it would be nice to be able to control the sub using the empegs fader. I'll go that route.
Thanks for the reply.

#36673 - 17/08/2001 12:44 Re: Factory Spks + Sub [Re: tfabris]

Hmm.. will i have to use an active crossover for the setup?
Or will it be fine, to run the factory spks full range and have only a passive crossover for the sub (most likely the low pass built into the sub's amp)?

#36674 - 17/08/2001 14:34 Re: Factory Spks + Sub [Re: 753]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If the subwoofer's amplifier has a crossover built-in, that's all you'll need.

Some people get good results by running their sub full-range, so I know that is possible as well.

Finally, if you're going to be running the rear channels into the subwoofer only, you could use the Empeg's 4-channel equalizer mode and EQ the sub differently than the front speakers.

#36675 - 18/08/2001 04:25 Re: Factory Spks + Sub [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I run a system similar to yours Tony. I have the sub-output from the rear channels. I also run an active crossover but only use it for sub boost adjustment and LPF. I used to run the fronts thru it too but cut it out due to ground loop probs. One day I'll afford a new amp for the front with a built in x-over and pass thru for the sub. one day

I guess the thing is to do what you can afford. There are nearly as many gadgets in car audio as in computing.

Murray 06000047
ust increasing my post count