Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#367618 - 28/09/2016 03:24 Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have a few troubling things gong on with Windows 10.

1) When I go to shut down the computer, I get the normal options of Signout, Sleep, Shut Down, Restart. Plus, I now have two additional options: Update and Shut Down, and Update and Restart. In the past, when those last two options appeared, I would select Update and Shut Down, the computer would update, and shut down, perfectly normal.

Now, however, I select Update and Shut Down and the computer just shuts down, no update. It appears to have stopped updating. How do I fix this?

2) Windows Photo Gallery appears to have stopped adding folders to its library. It can't find new folders that are in the same branch of the directory tree as plenty of other folders that it has added in the past. Is there some limit to the number of folders or pictures the library can contain?

tanstaafl.

#367620 - 28/09/2016 04:15 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Are you just worried about it not updating? If so, you should be able to check on the actual updates by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security. As long as that says it's updating then that's all you need. Then a quick restart should finish it off and you can check on that by going back into the update menu.

I don't really know anything about the Windows photo program.

#367621 - 28/09/2016 17:21 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Windows Photo Gallery appears to have stopped adding folders to its library. It can't find new folders that are in the same branch of the directory tree as plenty of other folders that it has added in the past. Is there some limit to the number of folders or pictures the library can contain?

I don't have an answer to that question, but I find it amusing that I asked the identical question about Plex video libraries on the Plex forum yesterday.

#367622 - 28/09/2016 17:26 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Now, however, I select Update and Shut Down and the computer just shuts down, no update. It appears to have stopped updating. How do I fix this?

Sometimes an update happens quickly and is not time-consuming, so you don't see a progress screen. It depends on the update, some will be quick, some will be slow. If it's quick it might look like the computer quickly shut down without updating, when it fact it updated fine.

Sometimes the time-consuming part of the update occurs at the next bootup rather than the shutdown. So you don't see a progress indicator at shutdown, but one appears at bootup (while you're away getting your coffee).

#367623 - 28/09/2016 17:28 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Windows Photo Gallery appears to have stopped adding folders to its library. It can't find new folders that are in the same branch of the directory tree as plenty of other folders that it has added in the past. Is there some limit to the number of folders or pictures the library can contain?

I don't have an answer to that question, but I find it amusing that I asked the identical question about Plex video libraries on the Plex forum yesterday.

Just in case the Plex answer was somehow the same: They are pretty sure it's a permissions problem with the files or folder. I haven't managed to solve the issue yet but that sounds like a reasonable place to start looking for the Windows Photo Gallery problem too.

#367624 - 28/09/2016 17:35 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Are you just worried about it not updating? If so, you should be able to check on the actual updates by going to Start > Settings > Update & Security.

That fixed it. It forced the update that had been hanging for the last week or so.

Thank you.

db

Attachments
Stop Screen.png

#367625 - 28/09/2016 19:00 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow, so there really *was* something wrong with the updates and they really weren't running? And Windows didn't tell you there was a problem? Interesting.

#367626 - 28/09/2016 19:47 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Wow, so there really *was* something wrong with the updates and they really weren't running? And Windows didn't tell you there was a problem? Interesting.

Agreed, that's strange, particularly in Windows 10, where updates are forced out to you whether you like it or not smile

#367627 - 28/09/2016 20:00 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

In addition to forcing the updates on you, I've also noticed that Win10 is a lot less intrusive about telling you when updates are occurring. They seem to be trying to make updates a completely "background" thing that the end-user should never have to think about. Perhaps some of this has backfired, and it's also not being intrusive about telling you when the updates are hung.

#367628 - 29/09/2016 00:15 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

And Windows didn't tell you there was a problem?
No, Windows did tell me there was a problem, although the telling was a little bit indirect. The fact that my shutdown menu was always showing those two additional choices, "Update and Shut Down" and "Update and Restart" but never actually did the updates so that the next time I shut down those choices were still there, that was the clue that something was wrong.

tanstaafl.

#367629 - 29/09/2016 02:12 Re: Two minor (?) Windows-10 problems [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I agree Tony. I think they're trying to be far too unobtrusive, but it's failing. I'm more and more convinced that those 100% disk usage problems I was seeing were the result of an update.

Doug, your report of "update and shut down" is something I actually haven't seen yet in Windows 10. Interesting.

I have noticed that when Microsoft wants to force a restart, they're much less obtrusive about that now, too. You no longer get that bright box at the bottom right, letting you delay 10 minutes or 4 hours or whatever. You do get a small black notification that makes you go to a little more effort to delay a restart.