Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#367643 - 02/10/2016 14:14 One major (?) Windows 10 problem
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
After finally (see Windows 10 Update Problem) getting the Windows 10 update (#KB3194496) to install, I seem to have a fairly serious problem.

My computer will boot up to the normal desktop absolutely as usual, maybe even a little bit quicker than it had been doing. But then, no programs will run. If I click on, for example, Excel in the Quicklaunch bar, the hourglass will appear briefly, and then go away. If I click it again, same thing. If I click it 22 more times (I actually did this), same thing. And then, after five to ten minutes, doing nothing else but staring at the screen in frustration, suddenly (in less than a second) I will have 24 instances of Excel running happily, and all the other applications will work and everything is normal. This happens every time and is reliably repeatable.

It is almost as if on bootup the computer is not seeing the hard drives until it has thought about it for a good long while.

This does not seem like normal behavior to me.

tanstaafl.

#367644 - 02/10/2016 16:04 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You know, it isn't too late to move away from Windows entirely.

MacOS ain't perfection but I sure don't spend much time per year fixing problems, across multiple Macs in the family.

I have one Windows laptop here that I still boot up on occasion, mostly to apply updates. I put an SSD in it a while back, which made it fast enough to tolerate. Windows 7 installed, but recently it stopped processing updates, just sits there scanning for updates, forever. And I am thinking, why do I need to even fix this thing? Just walk away ...

#367645 - 02/10/2016 17:49 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
WOW.

Are you able to open Task Manager during those five to ten minutes? Perhaps look for what is occupying the CPU's time during those five to ten minutes.

#367646 - 02/10/2016 18:18 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Excel is currently pretty horrible on OSX, which is where Doug spends a fair amount of time. And no Numbers is not a replacement for Excel wink

#367647 - 02/10/2016 19:37 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: andy]
K447
old hand

Originally Posted By: andy
Excel is currently pretty horrible on OSX, which is where Doug spends a fair amount of time. And no Numbers is not a replacement for Excel wink
I must admit I use very little Microsoft Office product or services these days.

I do maintain a Parallels virtual machine with full Windows 7 installed on my Mac laptop. Rarely use that either, but it is there and does work when I need something that requires 'real' Windows.

A friend is a travel agent and requires Windows to run the Sabre travel software (severe legacy stuff in there). There is a version for Mac but it is incomplete, so she runs Windows in a Parallels VM on her Mac. With the 'Windows desktop' window folded in behind the Sabre app window it looks almost like Sabre is running as native a Mac app. She just clicks the desktop icon to launch and the Sabre windows-only app appears on the Mac screen, no fussing about.

Copy and paste between Mac and Parallels apps, generally rather smooth in daily use.

#367648 - 02/10/2016 19:41 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
andy
carpal tunnel

They've really messed up the keyboard/mouse/selection handling in recent versions on OSX. Leads to the selection point jumping around, lots of unnecessary redrawing of the UI etc

All very annoying.

#367649 - 02/10/2016 20:22 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tfabris
Are you able to open Task Manager during those five to ten minutes? Perhaps look for what is occupying the CPU's time during those five to ten minutes.
No.

Task Manger does do more than briefly show the hourglass, though. It goes to a black screen of death, then after another five or 10 minutes the regular desktop comes back with all the QuickLaunch icons. Sometimes the applications will then run, sometimes I have to wait a bit longer.

Windows File Explorer will always run immediately on bootup or at any time during the five to ten minute wait -- but it only shows a blank screen, no data within the window, and shortly thereafter locks up with a "Not Responding" error. If I try to close the window, I get black screen of death. No matter what happens, if I wait long enough (5--10 minutes), suddenly everything will return to normal and the computer runs perfectly after that.

I believe this behavior began the first time I booted up after the Windows 10 update referenced above. I could be mistaken, I might have gotten one or two problem-free boots after that, don't know for sure. And I don't know if it is only a power-off reboot that causes it, or if a restart would cause the same behavior. When I know it will be five or ten minutes of downtime every time, I'm reluctant to experiment.

I haven't tried booting up in Safe mode. That will be the next thing to try, I guess. No, the next thing I will do is a full system backup right now while the computer is still working!

tanstaafl.

#367650 - 02/10/2016 20:40 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: K447
You know, it isn't too late to move away from Windows entirely.
Yeah, it is.

I realize that this is more a shortcoming on my part than on Apple's (you know, "It ain't what I'm used to, so it can't be any good") but I despise Apple's basic philosophy whether it be applications or operating system. That philosophy as I see it when I attempt to support my wife's iMac is to protect the user from all of the really ugly computer stuff... stuff like directory trees, filenames and extensions, and actual file locations. For example, I organize my photos MY way, not Bill Gates' way. Now before we start a war between the Apple people and the Windows people, let me say that the Apple hardware I've experienced has been the best I've ever seen, absolutey top quality. And I'm sure that Apple software is wonderful for people whose mindset is different from mine. It's just that I've invested too much time in learning the Windows environment to want to switch now.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Directory Tree.png

#367651 - 02/10/2016 20:58 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
K447
old hand

Do I see two folders with the exact same name?

Amber & Fiona ...

Two decades involved in software development on a bunch of platforms, including a lot of Windows stuff, I did. The transition to Mac was refreshing, once I stopped thinking like a PC wink

I have yet to find a photo management system I like on Mac. Some third party software looks interesting but I have not yet spent enough time to make a choice.

#367652 - 02/10/2016 22:10 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
andy
carpal tunnel

You do realise that the Mac has directory trees, filenames and extensions just the same as Windows, right ? And that Windows by default hides extensions, just like the Mac does by default. And Windows hides a whole* load of folders/files from the user by default.

If you created that same structure on the Mac, it would work just the same way as on Windows.

There are plenty of things you'd find are different on the Mac, but the items you've picked out are the same on both wink

P.S. I'm not in any way encouraging you to try switching, I know you are happy with Windows

* in fact Windows actually hides more folders from the user than OSX does, far more (basically two folders are hidden from a normal user on the Mac)

#367653 - 02/10/2016 22:12 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

#367654 - 03/10/2016 02:29 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Can we stop saying that the solution to a Windows problem is "switch to OSX/Linux/whatever?" It's not very helpful. Besides, please don't tell me that OSX is completely free of bouts of strange behavior.

Doug, trying out safe mode would be my first suggestion, and will tell you a lot. In case you're not sure how to do it, the process is different in Windows 10. This site has good descriptions of the ways to do it.

The easiest method is to hold down the shift key while you reboot, but you have to navigate through their crazy recovery menus, then reboot again for some reason, and it's just annoying. The msconfig method is probably the most reliable, and lets you choose your boot options in advance. I would try minimal first.

#367655 - 03/10/2016 04:08 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: Dignan]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Originally Posted By: Dignan
Can we stop saying that the solution to a Windows problem is "switch to OSX/Linux/whatever?" It's not very helpful. Besides, please don't tell me that OSX is completely free of bouts of strange behavior.

Admittedly it is not. But you have a business doing computer support right? How much time do you spend supporting Macs vs. PCs? From my purely anecdotal experience, there's a dramatic difference. I do wonder if the more helpful thing ISN'T to recommend the better alternative.

That said, from the perspective that Doug clearly isn't interested in switching, I suppose it's not terribly helpful. But from the perspective of avoiding strange behavior, I'd say it's a pretty good suggestion.

And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy and yes, there are a few features in Windows that I find better and more intuitive than OS X, but I'm also a user of both for many years and recognize that one clearly has fewer issues.

#367656 - 03/10/2016 04:56 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I think it just rubbed me the wrong way that the very first reaction to a specific question was to switch to a new OS, without any effort to offer the solution that was asked for. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if I've done that here before too, but I saw it here and bristled at it.

And no, I don't get a lot of calls about Macs, but I get some. Part of it is that I haven't sought it out much, because I wouldn't want to sell myself as an expert on an operating system I don't have experience in. I will agree that they have fewer problems, but they aren't devoid of them. They have plenty of problems, some of which are analogous to Windows issues and some all of their own. It's nice that they have so few viruses, that's for sure.

Personally, I've tried several times to live inside OSX. I used a MacBook as my sole computer for a few months. While I appreciate some things about the OS, other things drove me up the freaking wall. I came to two conclusions:

1) spending hours with hacks and 3rd party applications to get the UX to behave the way I wanted wasn't worth it, and

2) I do most things from within a browser anyway, so what's the point?

So I've stuck to the platform that behaves in a familiar way because it's just a gateway to the web for me. I would probably be fine using a Chromebook, frankly, but there isn't enough of an operating system there for the file management aspects and other little tasks (I have the same problem using tablets as work devices).

Anyway, this is rambling and getting even further away from the issue at hand. Doug, I'd love to hear what you got out of a safe boot.

#367657 - 03/10/2016 05:02 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Doug, here are some other things to try:

Check out the Windows logs in the event viewer, noting what time it is when you initially log into your account and the freeze starts. If nothing else, it might indicate what's hanging up. From your description, explorer.exe would be my first guess.

You might try running "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt, but report back with the safe mode results first. If everything is normal in safe mode, you may have to go through the tedious process of disabling all non-MS startup items and re-enabling each item one at a time.

#367658 - 03/10/2016 16:34 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: JBjorgen]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: JBjorgen
How much time do you spend supporting Macs vs. PCs? From my purely anecdotal experience, there's a dramatic difference.
I'll bet there is. Of course, that time difference might be influenced by there being twenty-two times more Windows computers out there than there are Apple OS-X machines.

Be that as it may, I have found Windows 10 to be absolutely rock solid and far less trouble to me than SWMBO's iMac although her problems would no doubt be trivial to somebody who knows as much about OS-X as I know about Windows, which really isn't very much!

Anyway, let's NOT get into a Windows vs Macintosh war. I tell people that my wife and I require separate computers because of our religious differences: She is Macintosh, I am Windows. smile

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Market Share.png

#367659 - 03/10/2016 16:53 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: Dignan]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I'd love to hear what you got out of a safe boot.
What I got was a very fast (17-second) boot to my desktop (Eeewww! Ugly at 640 x 480 resolution or whatever) and every one of the applications available in Safe Boot mode ran instantly and normally.

Here are some additional bits of data.

I can verify that the problem began immediately after the update. I remember because the very first time I saw the fancy new Windows 10 splash screen (rocks and ocean waves, a quite nice photograph) was when I couldn't get anything to run.

About the only inconsistency in the stalled reboot is that sometimes Windows File Explorer works properly immediately on bootup, usually it does not. When it does work properly, the directory tree displays are practically instantaneous across all four hard drives, even though nothing else will run, so I don't think it is a problem of CPU overload.

From display of the desktop to having functional programs took six minutes and fifty two seconds that last time I tried it.

Is it possible that this update is unhappy because my system drive is an SSD, not a mechanical drive?

Unless someone here can suggest a simple and quick fix for this, I am going to decide this is "above my pay grade" so to speak, and bundle the computer up and take it to the local shop that built it for me. They are reasonably technically competent (FAR more than I am) and quite inexpensive - I anticipate about a $500 peso repair bill, about $35 USD at the current exchange rate. I don't have the skills and especially not the patience, what with a seven-minute reboot every time I change something, to deal with this myself.

tanstaafl.

#367660 - 03/10/2016 17:07 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
K447
old hand

Where is that 'share' chart sourced from?

Fishy Windows usage stats

US gov Digital Analytics Program

Edited by K447 (03/10/2016 17:20)
Edit Reason: Lies and statistics

#367661 - 03/10/2016 17:14 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Where is that 'share' chart sourced from?
Actually, I just made up the numbers.

Naaah, not really. Here. smile

tanstaafl.

#367662 - 03/10/2016 21:12 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I'd love to hear what you got out of a safe boot.
What I got was a very fast (17-second) boot to my desktop (Eeewww! Ugly at 640 x 480 resolution or whatever) and every one of the applications available in Safe Boot mode ran instantly and normally.

Then my guess is that there is a device driver which is hanging on boot and preventing things from working.

That device driver might be related to the update or it might not. It may be an existing/old device driver which is suddenly incompatible with windows 10 after the update. The device driver might not be a device driver at all, but rather a kind of malware that disguises itself as a device driver.

In any case, one big difference between safe boot and normal boot is that it doesn't load most of the device drivers during safe boot. I'll bet that's somehow related.

#367663 - 03/10/2016 21:14 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It could also be some other kind of startup program other than a device driver. For example, I am a big user of "Classic Shell" on Windows 8.x, and if, for example, that had suddenly become incompatible with windows 10, I could potentially see that being the source of the issue.

#367664 - 04/10/2016 00:20 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Good suggestions, Tony. Device driver sounds like a possibility.

Doug, do you know where the event viewer is? It's often useless but sometimes has additional information that could complete the picture. Try to figure out the exact time that Windows boots into the desktop and the freeze happens, then look for activity at that point. It might mention which driver is causing the problem. Or it might not... smile

#367665 - 04/10/2016 02:11 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
I have a friend whose laserjet printer driver went kaput on or about the last win 10 update. Tried all sorts of things with the driver (HP's diags could print directly and the web interface was fine suggesting it's a driver problem). Tomorrow we're going to see if using usb rather than ip helps.

I'm puzzled and annoyed. HP network printing has always "just worked" (with a static IP, anyway).

-jk

#367666 - 04/10/2016 04:36 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: jmwking]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: jmwking
I'm puzzled and annoyed. HP network printing has always "just worked" (with a static IP, anyway).

I'm glad you added that last part smile HPs get lost on more PCs than any other printer. I've seen so many computers where the client says they can't print, but that's because their default printer is offline, because for some reason it's been re-added as a second printer that they don't see in their print dialog. This is for USB connections, though.

And don't get me started on HP inkjet printers. They're the worst pieces of garbage that I see in my work. The laserjet business must be really separate. Those are still pretty good (like you said, as long as you have that static IP).

#367667 - 04/10/2016 09:55 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: Dignan]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
they can't print, but that's because their default printer is offline, because for some reason it's been re-added as a second printer that they don't see in their print dialog. This is for USB connections, though.

I've occasionally seen this with networked printers as well; my wife's Windows 7 laptop mysteriously had two copies of our Brother 2250DN listed, and -- of course -- it wanted to print to the wrong one. Might have something to do with the fact that I changed my network from 10.x.y.z to 192.168.x.y though...

It was still easier to fix the problem than on my Linux box (which was surprising, because initially installing the printer was trivial when I first did it, but that in itself was surprising, because Linux has such a bad reputation for printing).

#367668 - 04/10/2016 16:15 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: Roger]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roger
they can't print, but that's because their default printer is offline, because for some reason it's been re-added as a second printer that they don't see in their print dialog. This is for USB connections, though.

I've occasionally seen this with networked printers as well; my wife's Windows 7 laptop mysteriously had two copies of our Brother 2250DN listed, and -- of course -- it wanted to print to the wrong one. Might have something to do with the fact that I changed my network from 10.x.y.z to 192.168.x.y though...

My clients often wonder why I ask them for their router's admin login when they want me to set up their printer. I don't install network printers unless I can give them a static IP.

And yeah, there are TONS of annoying things about printers and Windows, but it's really easy to work out IP issues.

#367696 - 06/10/2016 23:07 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

It could also be some other kind of startup program other than a device driver.
I got the computer back from the repair shop this afternoon, 100% functional and operational. I had written a nice reply to your post, and then thought I'd reboot it and time the startup to see how long it took so I could add that to the post. It took 29.75 seconds, about what it always did. And guess what? None of the applications would run until I waited 5--10 minutes. Well, not quite. Windows File Explorer ran just fine (nothing else would) and it was NOT a CPU problem, File Explorer would look at all of the hard drives and display their contents practically instantly.

The tech tested it multiple times in the shop, and when I booted it up at home the first time it was perfect. This might be an important clue: when I booted it the first time, the printer was powered off, and the Ethernet cable connecting the router to the computer had become unplugged at the router when I moved the computer hutch to connect the cables to the computer.

After running a lot of diagnostics on the hardware, the tech did what others here suggested: started removing items from the startup menu. However, since his goal was to fix the computer rather than find out the exact cause of the problem, he went through and took out everything in Startup that he didn't think I'd need. That shotgun approach worked, and I have tested almost every single application that I normally use and they all work.

Could my testing those applications have caused the problem to recur?

My Startup menu is pretty simple, although I will have to re-enable the four disabled items outline in red, they are necessary for my Fujitsu scanner to work, I think. (It's the only application I have found that won't work.) For now I'll leave them alone.

I am going to unplug that router cable and turn off the printer power, then try rebooting again, as those are the only two conditions I can think of that were different from the repair shop. I don't really expect this to work. See you in five to ten minutes, I guess...

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Startup.png

#367697 - 06/10/2016 23:39 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

See you in five to ten minutes, I guess...
Well, things went a bit differently that time, but not satisfactorily.

It booted to desktop in the usual 30 seconds or so (I didn't time it) but this time, some applications would run, some just went into the queue to start up after seven minutes and one second.

These are the applications I tried that DID start up:
Excel
MS Word
YouTube Downloader
7-Zip
Control Panel
Run

These are the applications I tried that did NOT start up:
Firefox
Paint.Net
Rosetta Stone (Loaded but quit "Not Responding")
Nero
Garmin Basecamp
Calibre

I'll take the computer back to the shop again tomorrow and see if the tech has any better luck.

I should point out that the repair costs so far have been outrageous! They worked on the computer off and on for two and a half days, got it working (in their shop, at least) and charged me the horrific sum of $150 pesos. That's a little bit over eight US Dollars, or about seven and a half euros.

Cost of living is a little bit less in Mexico.

tanstaafl.

#367698 - 06/10/2016 23:56 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
K447
old hand

Inexpensive repair costs sorta don't matter until the repair is successful...

Although I suppose it provides inexpensive entertainment. grin

#367740 - 15/10/2016 22:43 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Unless someone here can suggest a simple and quick fix for this, I am going to decide this is "above my pay grade" so to speak, and bundle the computer up and take it to the local shop that built it for me.
Okay, it went to the repair shop for a second time, they kept it over the weekend, no luck finding the problem except to decide that it was something buried deep within the Windows OS. And, apparently as part of the original update failure, there was no restore point set.

So... nuke and repave.

It took him a couple of hours to format the system drive and reinstall the OS with all the latest updates (including the "Anniversary" update that killed my computer) and do as much configuration and preference setting as he could without my being there to hold his hand.

I only have two minor complaints about what he did, both of which I fixed myself: He installed FireFox but didn't carry over my bookmarks; and he failed to set up indexing on the Windows search.

Now I get to spend probably 100+ hours reinstalling all my applications and configuring them to my taste. Two or three times a day I start to do something, and, Oh, yeah, I haven't installed that program yet. It's the configuration that takes the time. I spent a year tweaking MS-Office, a little bit at a time as I thought of things, and other applications are nearly as time consuming.

As part of the Windows reinstallation, they upgraded my Office from 2010 to 2016, and while a few of the changes have been helpful, most of them I don't like. And one of the changes has me right on the verge of reverting back to Office 2010.

Is there anyone here who can tell me how to remove that "Styles" block from the Office 2016 ribbon? There is nothing in it that I will ever use, either in Excel or Word, and it takes up a good 40% of the ribbon interface. The "Add" and "Remove" buttons are greyed out in the "Customize Your Ribbon" page. I've managed to tweak enough things in Office that it is at least usable to me, and over the coming months I'll get it better and better. Probably anyone else who uses it on my computer will hate what I've done, but I've always marched to the beat of a different drummer.

But that useless block of "Styles" buttons has got to go!

Also, even though I now have the Windows Search system indexed and parameters set to search file contents on all filetypes, it ONLY searches file contents on .TXT, MS-Word, and some PDF documents. Specifically, it does NOT search contents in .MOBI files.

The computer has been up and running quite well for the past week, not a single glitch or hiccup, and I spend hours every day just trying to get it back the way it was. Total cost for two lengthy stays at the repair shop: about $40 USD. I guess I can live with that.

tanstaafl.

#367741 - 16/10/2016 03:36 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
K447
old hand

From an earlier post.

Amber & Fiona ...
Is that kosher on Windows?

#367742 - 16/10/2016 05:56 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
From an earlier post.

Amber & Fiona ...
Is that kosher on Windows?

Check the date. It's part of the folder name.

#367743 - 16/10/2016 15:01 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: jmwking]
jmwking
old hand

Originally Posted By: jmwking
I have a friend whose laserjet printer driver went kaput on or about the last win 10 update. Tried all sorts of things with the driver (HP's diags could print directly and the web interface was fine suggesting it's a driver problem). Tomorrow we're going to see if using usb rather than ip helps.

-jk

Turns out it was a bad interaction between the McAfee firewall and a couple windows components. The firewall was blocking all traffic from dashost.exe and spoolsv.exe, and the firewall log suggests both are part of the printing subsystem (well, they were blocked just as I test printed), and both were recently updated by MS.

I imagine McAfee will fix it sometime...

-jk

#367744 - 17/10/2016 13:49 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: jmwking]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've got a Surface Book, purchased at a Microsoft Store, so I could be sure to have a "clean" Windows installation. Well, yeah, it's clean, but the Windows Defender AV is still annoying. Whenever I'd try to upload something from my "Downloads" directory, the file picker dialog with hang forever with a "Working on it..." message rather than a list of my files. After a minute, it would then work.

After a few weeks, it decided that the installer for IntelliJ (2016.2.4) was a malware installer and quarantined it, and then everything worked great thereafter. I'll chalk that up as a false positive. (I hope.)

#367745 - 20/10/2016 03:00 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Is there anyone here who can tell me how to remove that "Styles" block from the Office 2016 ribbon?
Yes. Me. It's buried pretty deep in the ribbon configuration page, but it's doable.

Specifically, it does NOT search contents in .MOBI files.
Actually... I think it does. But .MOBI files aren't text. They look like this:

™GoldÃupƒxælŠèedé‚Ðcr‚0„óesk‚q€aSportsÅditor‚Ðd÷eˆà‚Àopening2mail÷hichàways‚xcumulat‚ðfЇàbyŽ8i‡Øs.Ìuke-John̓ ‚pgrunaƒstretch€pou„Èìanguidè€è,âlinkƒÉvacantŠÐƒÈ‡X‹©istenÀ…èsomeoneŒÈt„¨Šˆt€²‹Èˆ¤telephŽØŽ‡’7Ž‡'Yeah...ù€AÂlow‚roofïff,'ƒésaid‚_‚_‚_‚Xቭý÷a‹Ãnumb…±poŒÐ…XfÔŒ)un‘’lazeˆ eHiŒ°cŽYš rt.×hy‘íID‹ÁÿÔimes,퉈ife'síoƒ°r…Ê,’¸‰àa‹˜f‰prag“óÿƒó!€‘yŒPƒJneed‹pm„¨that†Jwhy.Ó¸considerŒyhi…ˆrr‹v˜,’ChenóJul‚zac

which makes it pretty unlikely that a Windows search will find a given phrase or even a word.

So I've gotten Office 2016 set up pretty much to my satisfaction now, but there is still one unsolvable problem. Adobe Acrobat version 9 is incompatible with Office 2016. If you try to import a file into Acrobat, it locks up the program. Office 2016 is only compatible with Acrobat DC and later (that's the subscription program where you pay $23 a month to have it on your computer) and Adobe says they have no plans to update earlier versions of the program.

While Adobe Acrobat 9 is not compatible with Office 2016, fortunately Office 2016 is compatible with Adobe Acrobat. So if I need to put an Office 2016 program into Acrobat, I save the MS-Word file as a PDF, and then Acrobat is happy to swallow it.

Bit by bit the computer is coming back to life. I'm probably at 40% of my previous functionality now, but it's the 40% that did at least 90% of the useful work.

tanstaafl.

#367746 - 20/10/2016 03:23 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Do you use Acrobat for anything other than viewing PDF files?

I've made do without any version of acrobat or any kind of PDF viewer on my computer for quite a while now, ever since Google Chrome natively displays PDF files for me.

If I ever need to convert something to PDF, if its native app doesn't have a "save as PDF option" then I use the "PDF995" printer driver.

#367747 - 20/10/2016 13:07 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Do you use Acrobat for anything other than viewing PDF files?
Yes.

I assemble health insurance claims with it. My retirement health insurance covers us here in Mexico, but the service providers do not deal with insurance, I have to do the claims myself.

I have the insurance form downloaded and saved as a .png file, I fill in the data with my graphics editor (paint.net). I scan in all the relevant receipts, prescription forms, etc., also saved as .png files, sometimes the provider will email me a receipt in .pdf format. I use MS-Word to prepare a letter of explanation to the insurance provider, detailing the necessity of the claim, explaining whatever might not be evident from just perusing the claim form and the receipts. Then I combine all of that information (sometimes as much as 10 or more pages) into a single .pdf file and email it to the insurance provider.

I do a really good job with those claims. Over the past six years, I have achieved a reimbursement rate of 95.3% (counting co-pays and annual deductibles as payment) which I think is fairly respectable. And yes, I do indeed keep records in that much detail. I can reproduce any of the several hundred claims I have submitted over the last six years or so in a matter of one or two minutes.

tanstaafl.

#367748 - 20/10/2016 17:00 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm not sure which part of that process requires Acrobat. Is it the part where you take multiple pages and re-assemble them into a single document?

But recent versions of Word can both import and export PDF files, correct? Sounds like you could do all the assembly work in Word and save it as a single 10+ page PDF file directly from Word, without having to touch Acrobat.

I'm only suggesting this because you said you had a problem with Acrobat, and so I'm wondering if ditching Acrobat entirely is feasible.

#367749 - 20/10/2016 17:11 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
Even if you don't have a recent version of Word/Open Office/Libre Office then printing from whatever programme to a PDF printer (like Cute PDF or PDF Exchange) will create your PDF file. I find PDF Exchange Viewer much easier than the latest Acrobat Viewer too.

#367750 - 20/10/2016 17:20 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
K447
old hand

... several hundred claims I have submitted over the last six years or so ...
An average of one every week or two? Wow...

#367751 - 20/10/2016 18:53 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
... several hundred claims I have submitted over the last six years or so ...

That would be itemized, I expect. Suppose Doug and SWMBO have 5 medications between them that have to be ordered on a monthly basis, that's already 360 claims. And then, if Mexico is anything like the US in billing, you don't get "a" bill for an office visit, you get a bill from the doctor, a bill from the office, a bill from the lab, a bill from the radiologist, etc. So a single visit can explode into multiple claims quite easily.

#367755 - 21/10/2016 02:43 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: K447]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

It's a bit more complicated than that.

My brother-in-law generated 42 claims two Christmases ago when he visited us, fell on the stairs and broke his hip.

Even a minor surgical procedure can generate half a dozen claims or more by the time you add in hospital fees, equipment rental, anesthesiologist, surgeon, referring physician, and a bunch of prescriptions for pain, antibiotic, etc.

Some months there are no claims at all. Other months... well, you get the idea.

tanstaafl.

#367756 - 21/10/2016 03:16 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Sounds like you could do all the assembly work in Word and save it as a single 10+ page PDF file directly from Word, without having to touch Acrobat.
I could... but it is faster and easier to save the single Word document as a PDF, and then let Acrobat do all the combining.

Combining files in Word is a pain, especially having to deal with different file types and sometimes having to rearrange the order of the pages, and the scaling doesn't always work out right... With Acrobat, I just drag the individual files into the "Combine" box in the order that I want them, and it's done. I'm actually finding that the operation goes faster now than it did before, because even when Acrobat would read and combine the older version Word files, it was slow -- taking about 30 seconds for a single Word document. Now that it is combining mostly .png and .pdf files, it is almost instantaneous. It takes only a second or two extra to save the original Word file as a .pdf, so overall it is faster.

tanstaafl.

#367760 - 21/10/2016 11:30 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Wow. I think I would just "die young" in a situation like that -- paperwork and I simply do NOT get along at all.

Kudos to Doug for managing to keep on top of it all though.

#367786 - 28/10/2016 21:25 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
jmwking
old hand

Gah! My daughter's win10 computer was, as she put it, "glitching". She restarted it (as I usually ask, yet she usually declines; "I'll have to save my work and find my pages!")

The restart gave her an upgrade. <sigh> After completing, her touchpad was dead (fortunately it has a touch screen, too), and her desktop was all win8 tablet style tiles rather than her few desktop shortcuts (she's also a minimalist).

winver reported version 1607 build 14393.222.

I did a recovery to the prior restore point. Success! (I think it's the first time it's actually worked for me.)

The weird thing is now winver is reporting version 1607 build 14393.351... (And my computer wants to install an update. I think I'll wait a bit.)

I'm confused - going backwards to go forwards.

-jk

#367787 - 28/10/2016 21:47 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I can't answer the touchpad issue (maybe it just needed some driver updates?) but the other problem is familiar to me. I've had several customers get hit with it, and it's annoying. Apparently Windows 10 isn't great at deciding what kind of computer it's been updated on, and says "hey, a touchscreen, I must be a tablet!" And it sets the tablet mode as the default. I have no clue why it wouldn't just use the last mode.

You can change it in Start - Settings - System - Tablet Mode.

#367788 - 29/10/2016 20:28 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: Dignan]
jmwking
old hand

I can't answer the touchpad issue (maybe it just needed some driver updates?) but the other problem is familiar to me. I've had several customers get hit with it, and it's annoying. Apparently Windows 10 isn't great at deciding what kind of computer it's been updated on, and says "hey, a touchscreen, I must be a tablet!" And it sets the tablet mode as the default. I have no clue why it wouldn't just use the last mode.

You can change it in Start - Settings - System - Tablet Mode.

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind. For this one, the restore point fixed it.

-jk

#367798 - 03/11/2016 01:37 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Possibly related question:

Back in the summer, when I really needed a new laptop and wasn't about to buy a soon-to-be-obsolete MacBook, I decided to get a Microsoft Surface Book, so Win10 direct from the factory without any third-party cruft. I also installed all the "preview" stuff so I could get the Ubuntu Linux personality, which means near-weekly "hey you need to reboot now for the latest Microsoft update."

Anyway, a week or two ago, the damn trackpad started malfunctioning. It works great after the computer reboots, but after the computer has gone to sleep it's sometimes unresponsive and jumpy. Clicks aren't registered properly. I adjusted all the relevant settings, but no dice. A few weeks earlier, I had the opposite problem, wherein brushing the trackpad with my palm would register as a click, which is hardly ever desirable.

My theory is that somebody at Microsoft got pissed at these errant clicks and over-shot on filtering the trackpad, and subsequently screwed up something that only happens when restoring from a low-power state.

Hunting around online, no obviously useful advice, although there seem to be lots of related complaints, but none exactly like mine.

#367799 - 04/11/2016 03:30 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Update! I decided to try Microsoft's tech support. Hey, I bought this thing from Microsoft, right?

They did the remote management thing on my machine, running some tool that tries to clean up any damaged files, and then since yesterday there was a new build of the OS (Win10 Pro Insider Preview), which wasn't available yesterday. So fine, downloaded, installed, and at least for now everything seems to be working. We'll see if this sticks around.

Fun fact: their remote management tool manages to restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off. Neat.

#367800 - 04/11/2016 19:14 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Fun fact: their remote management tool manages to restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off. Neat.

I use GoToAssist and it does that too. It's pretty great and makes my job so much easier. It's nice to be able to work on computers remotely in the first place, but it's even better to be able to reboot without calling the client again. Half of the tools I use to clean systems off require a reboot, and I can even choose to reboot into safe mode. I can also log the user off and log back in as another account because. I guess that Microsoft's tool and GoToAssist both install as a system service to make that possible.

Glad your trackpad is working again!

#367801 - 04/11/2016 20:26 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

their remote management tool manages to restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off. Neat.

Aka. Major security hole.

#367802 - 04/11/2016 23:09 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
their remote management tool manages to restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off. Neat.

Aka. Major security hole.

Why do you say that?

#367803 - 05/11/2016 03:47 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

The tool went through a series of serious warnings for me to permit it to do non-standard things. And it's no-longer running now. Also, there was a six-digit PIN that I had to enter somewhere to connect the tool back to Microsoft, and "Jake" who I was texting with seemed pretty knowledgeable.

From a security perspective, the tool was a separate thing I had to download and install. It's not on-by-default, so it's not part of the attack surface of the machine.

#367804 - 05/11/2016 12:04 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Much better than I initially thought from hearing "restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off."

Stuff like that is a real boon for remote support, but it's rarely clear how much autonomous action such a loophole is capable of. Until someone with pure malicious intent uses it to add machines to a botnet or whatever.

Along the lines of the rootkits that Intel has been installing in just about every x86 processor for the past 10 years or so. You know, that fancy little feature "for data centre admins", to automatically power on, update, intercept KB/Mouse/Net, etc.

Perfectly safe of course. Really.

#367805 - 05/11/2016 14:04 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: mlord]
K447
old hand

... the rootkits that Intel has been installing in just about every x86 processor for the past 10 years or so. You know, that fancy little feature "for data centre admins", to automatically power on, update, intercept KB/Mouse/Net, etc.

Perfectly safe of course. Really.
I must admit ignorance of this. Is it outside the perimeter of the motherboard bios/firmware, implemented in the Intel Ethernet chipset?

Does this exposure also exist in Mac computers?

#367806 - 05/11/2016 15:50 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: tanstaafl.]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The current form is "AMT", but was preceeded by "MEBx" in earlier chips. I first came across it in a Dell OptiPlex-755 box I was setting up. The box was unreliable in shutting off and rebooting, and "MEBx" was the culprit:

http://rtr.ca/optiplex755/

Here is Wikipedia's article on the current form, "AMT":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Active_Management_Technology

#367808 - 07/11/2016 05:39 Re: One major (?) Windows 10 problem [Re: mlord]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Much better than I initially thought from hearing "restore itself after a reboot and pick up right where it left off."

Sorry, I think that having used the tool myself - and used it as a customer when dealing with my clients' problems - I was just very accustomed to how these tools worked. Like Dan said, you have to get the customer to enter a code, download the install file, run it, and accept the UAC message to connect. Once the session is active, I'm able to restart the computer and maintain the connection, but if anything happens to disconnect me, it's over and I can't reconnect. Neither can anyone else because there's no active session and the process has stopped running. I can't speak to the tool MS used with him, but GoToAssist uses an encrypted connection.

I'm also able, for my clients who request it, to install an "unattended access" application. This has to be accepted on their end, it's still encrypted, and I still need to know the computer login when I connect, but I can connect any time and work on their computer. Some find this uncomfortable, so it doesn't get installed. Most of the people who want this are ones who I help often and don't want to go through the process every time, or who actually want me to connect to their computers when they're not there. Most of these are small businesses, but home users too. Fortunately, I've gained a great deal of trust with my customers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >