Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#367734 - 14/10/2016 04:01 Fun with MicroUSB and Lightning cables
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Came across this and though I would share.

Quote:
... a combined lightning and MicroUSB cable. Not one of those cables that splits and has a lightning connector next to a MicroUSB connector. Not one of those cables that has a MicroUSB connector and a lightning adaptor.

A cable that has a regular USB connector on one end and a reversible connector on the other end that fits inside a MicroUSB port and also fits inside a lightning port.

It violates the MicroUSB spec. It violates the Lightning spec. It’s wrong. Yet, somehow, it’s also incredibly right. It should not work. Yet, somehow, it does. When we showed one to a friend who works for Apple, it pretty much reduced him to distraught gibbering.

#367735 - 14/10/2016 05:32 Re: Fun with MicroUSB and Lightning cables [Re: K447]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I want an iPhone 6Pius...

#367737 - 14/10/2016 13:05 Re: Fun with MicroUSB and Lightning cables [Re: K447]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
That cable is a Frankenstein's monster that should be killed with fire, but the link you gave us led me down a rabbit hole. The first post mentioned a keyboard with "RGB" or whatever, which reminded me of the Optimus keyboard, which made me go to their site to see if it was still for sale (which it is), which then led me to their store where the keyboard is listed among a variety of junk products. That's where I saw this, and realized I know absolutely nothing about how the European power plug standards work. So you could just plug stuff into any part of that thing in any direction and it would charge? The idea that a power strip for a two-pronged standard would have 15 holes in it is very strange to me, but I can't put my finger on why...

Anyway, random thought.

#367738 - 14/10/2016 14:03 Re: Fun with MicroUSB and Lightning cables [Re: Dignan]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Dignan
... the link you gave us led me down a rabbit hole.

... I saw this, and realized I know absolutely nothing about how the European power plug standards work. So you could just plug stuff into any part of that thing in any direction and it would charge? The idea that a power strip for a two-pronged standard would have 15 holes in it is very strange to me, but I can't put my finger on why...

Anyway, random thought.
Random thoughts is probably why I posted the original link.

Euro 2-pin AC power is the same as USA, just the pins are round and the voltage is double.

That grid of prong sockets on the 15 hole power bar could be adapted to work with flat prong North American plugs. The AC feed apparently runs in a diamond pattern under the sockets, so each hole has the four surrounding pins powered by the opposite side of the AC. Plugs cannot be plugged in on an angle, only north-south or east-west.

Flat prong USA style AC plugs are such a poor design, alas, but I expect we are stuck with it until the end of time.

#367739 - 14/10/2016 14:23 Re: Fun with MicroUSB and Lightning cables [Re: Dignan]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Dignan
and realized I know absolutely nothing about how the European power plug standards work. So you could just plug stuff into any part of that thing in any direction and it would charge? The idea that a power strip for a two-pronged standard would have 15 holes in it is very strange to me, but I can't put my finger on why...

The euro (not UK though) sockets are not polarised, so you can plug things in in either direction.
If the socket(plug is grounded, there are two grounded metal prongs in the socket (12 and 6 oclock), that connect to flats on the plug, so you get ground connection either way. image

A grounded plug can be inserted in a non-grounded socket (on the theory that the socket would not be in an area where grounding would be required.
A non-grounded plug (unless it's the flat plug, only to be used on double-isolated things) does not go into a grounded socket, on the theory that a non-grounded tool shouldn't be used in an environment where a grounded socket was required.
But now grounded sockets a required everywhere (at least in Sweden) on all new construction and major rework. Non-grounded round plugs are very rare to find on new goods - it's either grounded or double-isolated flat one...

All the socket are recessed so you can't get your fingers on the pins when they're making contact in the socket (though I still have a few sockets here from when the house was built in the 50s and they have only a very shallow recess...)