Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#367826 - 11/11/2016 06:29 Riocar.org going down for now
drakino
carpal tunnel

Something compromised my VPS and I can't identify how or if it's still a problem. I did get proof from the provider from a tcpdump showing my host participating in a recent DDoS and suspect it's something that came in via a PHP exploit of some sort. So for now RioCar.org is going down till I can identify the issue and resolve it. No current ETA.

It's been a while since I've done much security side, anyone up to date on what web vulnerability scanner software is both safe to use and knows how to detect vulnerabilities in various PHP files?

#367827 - 11/11/2016 08:33 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've used https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project

It isn't PHP specific, but it is actively maintained and you get to run it locally.

Is it time to just make RioCar.org static ? I'm wondering how much work it would be to spider it and then add some htaccess mappings/tweak some of the static output ?

#367828 - 11/11/2016 16:38 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
+1 on making it a static site at this point, I'd like to see the content stay available for posterity. Put it on github and let any changes happen via pull request?

#367829 - 11/11/2016 16:39 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
BTW, this hardly seems on topic for the off topic board. :-)

#367830 - 11/11/2016 16:42 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

A static conversion of it was my plan, one day...

#367831 - 11/11/2016 16:51 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

I'm happy to take the files/database and give it a bash at some point. Probably not for the next few months though frown

#368322 - 06/02/2017 12:51 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Any progress - I want to look at the FAQ so I'm motivated to hack at the problem if I can get hold of the DB etc smile

#368323 - 06/02/2017 13:50 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: LittleBlueThing]
andy
carpal tunnel

I haven't had the time I'm afraid, not likely to in the immediate future.

I'm happy to host it alongside empegbbs, if someone can make it into a static site.

Or maybe import it into a mediawiki or similar ?

Tom has the databases etc

Edited by andy (06/02/2017 13:50)

#368326 - 06/02/2017 21:46 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I'll need to finish the static conversion, and it was started before the site went down. There's private details in the RioCar DB that go beyond what is in the board DB, and it would be more effort to purge that and hand over the files to someone else. It's mostly from some of the community event signups/coordination that were a part of the ancient RioCar.org era.

The ability to access the data from the web side was intentionally broken long ago, but the raw info in the DB hadn't been fully scrubbed.

No promises, but I'm hoping an upcoming vacation and some recent stress relief will let my mind focus enough to wrap up the static conversion part. Steps left there are to retool the script to pull from a VM of the server, instead of the live site, and get the VM up to date with the snapshot from before the web intrusion.

I have a personal goal to try and get to this soon. It's a good distracting project to work on, and has some decent progress already. The idea and work for the conversion started well before the outage, as the code that runs the site is too ancient to run on up to date PHP installs. As it was, RioCar.org threw a number of depreciation warnings, and the codebase is a mess. Part of that is due to securing the site by intentionally breaking parts of the site that weren't seeing any changes like the old front news page. Thankfully the PHP version the site ran on still received critical security patches, but it wasn't enough to stop whatever lightly exploited the server to help participate in a DDoS on other servers.

I hear the community wanting it back, and thank you to those in the community helping with the stress relief by speaking out about current events.

#368635 - 16/04/2017 01:06 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Made some progress, and once I get the last of the personal data off the old server, should be able to wrap this up. Target for that looks to be on track for the end of May. Hoping to bring the RioCar piece back in some form by June at this point.

Found all my old work trying to turn it into a static mirror. It's likely going to need a custom Apache config to work to take in the output from wget spidering the site.

Anyone else have experience with wget for cloning a site and rewriting links? The biggest challenge is the old PostNuke method of faq.php?section=XX&varYY type stuff for all of it's links. The photo galleries mirror to static pages pretty easily since that was an old Gallery install bolted onto the side of PostNuke.

#368654 - 17/04/2017 14:00 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
elperepat
enthusiast

Loc: Qc, Canada
I tried to do some basic stuff to my empeg lately (fsck, mp3tofid, etc) and searched this forum. All "useful" replies point to riocar.org. I was able to do everything I wanted, but it was much more complicated without the FAQ.

I don't have any experience with wget other than what I can find with google. But it seems it shouldn't be that hard if you still have a running "private" copy of the website.

#368656 - 17/04/2017 16:02 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: elperepat]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Someone around here I think uploaded a PDF copy of the FAQ, might be good to link it in this thread, and also here: http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/44361/Where_did_all_the_FAQ_entries_#Post44361

And indeed under normal situations, this shouldn't be hard. I still dream of a normal life, not having to deal with this crap and the mental effects it can lead to. If more people stand up, those of us targeted first might have some relief. Thankfully this weekend showed that many more are, finally. Keep it up please.

#369032 - 05/08/2017 09:20 Re: Riocar.org going down for now [Re: drakino]
toolman

Loc: Wellington NZ
If someonce can give me a DB dump, I'd love to have a go at getting a static cut out - who can point me towards "Tom" ? If you are out there, please PM me and we can make a plan to copy the DB..