Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#367935 - 01/12/2016 02:06 I have seen the future and it grosses me out.
snowcrash
journeyman

I was comparing notes with a neighbor on my dock this afternoon and we agreed that we were in need of finding some place where we could shout invective, launch ad hominem insults and so forth in such a way that:

1) our invective and insults would be available for anyone whether they gave a shit about our invective and insults or not.
2) the venue would not be tied into any business that profits from our shoutings or or that requires gratuitous disclosure (say lat/lon).

Can the community help?

Jim

Edited by snowcrash (01/12/2016 02:10)

#367944 - 01/12/2016 14:27 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: snowcrash
2) the venue would not be tied into any business that profits from our shoutings or or that requires gratuitous disclosure (say lat/lon).
How do you want the venue platform to be funded?

#367951 - 01/12/2016 16:43 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Given that Twitter is not making profits, and is quite thoroughly loaded with invective and ad hominem insults, I think you've got your solution.

#367960 - 02/12/2016 01:26 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: K447]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: K447
How do you want the venue platform to be funded?

Hmmmm. My baseline is cheap and/or free, given that angel investors have stopped returning my calls. I could see some sort of free CMS running in a hosted environment. I am making a list of what other choices to make to keep costs low. Think no images.

#367962 - 02/12/2016 01:52 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: DWallach]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Given that Twitter is not making profits, and is quite thoroughly loaded with invective and ad hominem insults, I think you've got your solution.

That is really a nice, enjoyable point! Thank you.

But I don't want to be followed or liked. I gagged at the narcissistic* thought on Day 1 (this coming from huge narcissit).

This lady in Oregon read my mind:

http://www.npr.org/sections/sundaysoapbox/2009/03/tweeting_scott_simon_tweetnot.html

Anyhow, I felt Tweeter was batting a pretty low average all along,but now, thanks to THAT MAN, it is debased beyond my ability and stamina to hold a peppermint-oil-soaked handkerchief to my nose until the patient dies.

* Did I spell that right?

#368019 - 08/12/2016 02:20 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash
journeyman

Well,

I realized that the solution that came closest to my goals was a BBS like this one. Then I thought of how much work people including Tom and Andy have put into the BBS. If a BBS actually got popular, I am not sure I could keep up.

So I started thinking of cathartic alternatives like "FlashBoos" where a group of people summoned by Western Union telegrams could descend on various geographical points of interest (White House? Area 51? Grassy Knoll?) and spend 30-45 minutes* just bellowing "Booooo! Booooo! Booooo!" until we work up a sweat. Now I am starting to wonder what that would accomplish.

And I think I am slipping from Bargaining to Depression, anyway, so not sure I would hold up as a BBS admin or as a FlashBoo coordinator.

I need to work on a more poignant sig.

* designed to allow a FlashBoo during the average lunch hour.

#368022 - 08/12/2016 14:12 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
And I think I am slipping from Bargaining to Depression, anyway, so not sure I would hold up as a BBS admin or as a FlashBoo coordinator.

I've been going through the five stages over and over again this past month. I don't think that's how it's supposed to work, but acceptance just isn't doing it for me.

#368032 - 10/12/2016 04:15 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: Dignan]
snowcrash
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Dignan

I've been going through the five stages over and over again this past month. I don't think that's how it's supposed to work, but acceptance just isn't doing it for me.

I am starting to feel some solace thanks to the Simulation hypothesis.

Cue the Operators:

"Hey, what say we make the Chairman of Exxon Mobil the Secretary of State and see what happens?"

I mean, how else do you explain that kind of thing? Obviously, some Operator is just trying to get our knickers in a twist. To hell with them. I think I'll just read the Aubrey/Maturin tome for the 4th time

#368033 - 10/12/2016 04:21 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I've been thinking the exact same thing. During this process, and especially given events around the globe, I'm reminded of what happens when I get bored with Sim City.

#368111 - 28/12/2016 02:37 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: Dignan]
snowcrash
journeyman

Well, it is not a rant, but Carter's catalog of screwed -up-ness is worth a read:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2016/11/graydon-carter-donald-trump-president

If VF keeps this up I may be able to buy their mag without feeling guilty about the cleavage coverage.

#368113 - 29/12/2016 02:25 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash
journeyman

</Remember>

"Hatchables are a mess. These people need to be looked at! Typical Chinese JUNK! NOT ACCEPTABLE!

</End Remember>

#368119 - 30/12/2016 02:10 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash
journeyman

</Remember>
"Hatchables are a mess. These people need to be looked at! Typical Chinese JUNK! NOT ACCEPTABLE!
</End Remember>

OK, the need to blurt a non-post II can attribute to (Now Legal in Washington State) psychoactive lemon sours. Tyically my train of thought falls apart, but I still think I'm clever for a bit. So then maybe I place a clever bookmark on the one BBS where my password still works.

I had the local TV news for a bit and they had a big report on a sometimes-defective novelty product. I started to think "Can you make a faux Trump tweet out of a given news story? Could you use AI? Does it already exist? I'm looking for a fake news Trump Tweet emulator. The Trumpulator (term already coined).

A problem is that most any tweet you might generate is alredy out there already in some form. Anything you might imagine is already returning hits on the Web. Search for "trump moon landings fake" and you get relevant hits.

I am struggling to come up with something that could true, false or near-true, but that is also NEW.

Say:

My guy Bob, who is sooo smart! Greenlight to deploy Trump Plaza as South China Sea base. Super Smart Bob!

Or:

Signing order today. 280 for Exec Branch and all DoD! Ever see a bigger example of American Power?!?!!!!

#368141 - 01/01/2017 00:29 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
And they're called Hatchimals. I had to buy two of them for Christmas this year. smirk

#368237 - 20/01/2017 02:43 Re: I have seen the future and it grosses me out. [Re: snowcrash]
snowcrash
journeyman

Well, T minus one, and friends in the US are feverishly working on their pink pussy hats. I am presently feeling the comparative sanity of Vietnam. Heading out in search of a bottle of distilled rice something, and doing my best to ignore CNN for a few days.

I must be a prudish innocent. Only the weekly Harper's news compendium tipped me as to what the KGB may or may not have on their covert videos. I have been struggling to come up with some corresponding fake news:

"In break with tradition, Marine Corps band to play 'Pail to the Chief'".

"Trump International in negotiations toward Trump-branded overseas water parks. Situation seen as very fluid."