Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#368392 - 21/02/2017 15:08 Re: The Pumpkin [Re: mlord]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Sigh. Meanwhile, I'm trying to make decent furniture in my carport with nothing more than a Skil-saw and a drill.

Oh well. For me it's more about enjoying the process than the convenience. There's something about being a being a minister in which you never fully see the completed product of your spiritual work this side of eternity, so for me it's extremely gratifying to take a break now and then and build something physical with my hands that becomes a finished product.

That said, my Dad has a shop similar to yours, Mark, and I definitely miss being able to work in it. It also helps me appreciate all the thought and effort that has gone into your shop. Well done!

#368394 - 21/02/2017 19:52 Re: The Pumpkin [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: mlord
the foam around the woofers was completely shot -- eaten away, like powder. Ordered new foams for both sets of speakers from China (eBay) at a total cost of about CAD$9 (delivered!), and installed them a few weeks ago.

A friend of mine once had some of his favorite speakers redone in the same way, for exactly the same reason. He hired a professional to do the work, but I'm curious about the process, wondering if it was difficult to do yourself?

#368396 - 21/02/2017 22:18 Re: The Pumpkin [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
A friend of mine once had some of his favorite speakers redone in the same way, for exactly the same reason. He hired a professional to do the work, but I'm curious about the process, wondering if it was difficult to do yourself?

That's how I first heard about it too -- a buddy paid to have some woofers "professionally refoamed."

It turns out the process is very easy, requiring only the new foams, a snap-blade knife, some Aleene's® Original Tacky Glue®, Isopropyl alcohol for helping soften/clean the old glue residue, clothespins for clamps (optional), and about two hours (for me anyway) to do a pair of woofers. There are lots of youtube videos showing the entire process, almost in real-time, at perhaps 15-25 minutes per woofer.

Two basic approaches seem to exist: with and without shims. If you go the shim route, it takes about twice as long to do. I didn't bother with the shims, and am very happy to have avoided all of that extra/unnecessary fuss.

With really large woofers, say 12" or more, the shim method might add value, as the larger diameters are trickier to keep centered on the voice coil without shimming. But for the 6" and 8" ones I did here, there was no fuss at all in keeping them centered.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (21/02/2017 22:24)

#368397 - 21/02/2017 22:56 Re: The Pumpkin [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Thanks for that information!

Quote:
he larger diameters are trickier to keep centered on the voice coil without shimming.

That's the part I'd be worried about doing correctly: Centering on the voice coil. I'll look at some Youtube videos on how to refoam woofers, I'm sure they cover it in detail.

Thanks!

#368400 - 21/02/2017 23:36 Re: The Pumpkin [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Loads of people will authoritatively say one cannot accurately center the cones without first cutting away the dust covers (center circle of paper/cloth that keeps dust away from the voice coils), so that paper/plastic shims can be inserted around the voice coils to keep the cones centered.

Others will say that the stiff spider is enough to keep them centered, especially on the smaller sizes. And testing them before the glue sets permanently is impossible when shimmed, and trivial when not shimmed.

I fretted over this for a while, but in the end just did it without shimming, and then wondered what all of that fuss was about. It was a non-issue.

EDIT: The videos by Simply Speakers were the best IMHO.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2