Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Topic Options
#368989 - 17/07/2017 20:38 Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My beloved DIN-dash Honda Accord got rear-ended last week, and I predict that it will likely get totaled.

I've got some cash that could go towards a brand new 2017 Accord or CR-V, so I'm expecting things will go in that direction very soon. The new cars (at least the ones I want) are all touchy screeny bluetoothy cellphoney these days, no DIN slot.

Anyone have any tips on getting an empeg to work in this situation these days, someone who's been through it?

What I'm thinking is:
- Find a spot for the empeg somewhere in the car (maybe vertically in the center armrest console? Even the trunk will do if necessary).
- I have one of the remote display extenders from awhile back, still new-in-box, haven't used it. Maybe find a spot for the extended display somewhere up front where I can get to. Not sure where yet. Visor? Dashboard somewhere? Gotta poke around to decide.
- I don't think anyone makes a direct Aux-in adapter for the 2017 Hondas, can't find one, does anyone know if one exists?
- If not, I could get a A2DP bluetooth transmitter. Can't tell which ones are good though. Would be a little twitchy about the bluetooth audio data compression being applied to already-mp3-data-compression of the audio on the player, but I might not have any choice.
- Don't see an easy way to integrate the steering wheel controls in this situation. Would likely have to rely on the remote display for control.
- Maybe 3D-print a fresh face trim for the remote display, since it would look weird without a pullout handle.
- Maybe upgrade the player to an SSD so that I don't worry about thermal issues and bumpy rides any more.

Anyone else have experience to share about the remote display? For instance, if I pull the player out of the car to update its song library, how easy is it to detach the display, and will it work headless (ie will it boot without a display plugged in) in a home dock?

Any other ideas or things to talk about with this?

#368990 - 17/07/2017 20:52 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
I buried mine inside a hollow in/under the dash, and use a display extender stuck (velcro) in the front of the in-dash storage compartment.

#368991 - 17/07/2017 21:08 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Sounds about like what I'm going for. From the pictures, it looks like that'll be more likely to work on the '17 Accord than on the '17 CR-V. They didn't really give much space to work with on the CR-V, everything is smooshed together in the dash with no pockets up front. That'll be a factor in my purchasing decision.

#368992 - 17/07/2017 21:40 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mmm.. depending upon the width of the storage compartment, the empeg could fit in there with need for the extender. I think the compartment in my Impreza was about 1/2" too narrow.

#368993 - 17/07/2017 21:44 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
I buried mine inside a hollow in/under the dash, and use a display extender stuck (velcro) in the front of the in-dash storage compartment.

Correction: I didn't actually use the display extender -- the cable only had to reach about 12" or less, so I just replaced the regular display ribbon cable with a longer one. One can go up to perhaps 18" or so before the active electronics of the PCATS extender are required.

Cheers

#368996 - 18/07/2017 21:56 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Cool! Thanks! I think I'd do it with the extender anyway, just to be sure. Part of it is that the extender layers on and protects one of the fragile components on the back of the display board.

Any recommendations on which IDE SSD model I should get to replace my current hard disk in the 'peg? Ideally I'd want to directly copy the old hard disk onto the new one.

Anyone have a 3D model of the current faceplate that I could drop into an editor, modify so that it looks better without a handle, and then 3D print?

Anyone have any opinion on brands of A2DP transmitters for this application?

#368997 - 18/07/2017 23:14 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Any recommendations on which IDE SSD ..

This one: Kingspec 128GB SSD

#368998 - 19/07/2017 20:43 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Awesome, I have pressed the "Buy It Now" button.

#369000 - 20/07/2017 12:35 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris

Anyone have any tips on getting an empeg to work in this situation these days, someone who's been through it?

What I'm thinking is:
- Find a spot for the empeg somewhere in the car (maybe vertically in the center armrest console? Even the trunk will do if necessary).
- I have one of the remote display extenders from awhile back, still new-in-box, haven't used it. Maybe find a spot for the extended display somewhere up front where I can get to. Not sure where yet. Visor? Dashboard somewhere? Gotta poke around to decide.
- I don't think anyone makes a direct Aux-in adapter for the 2017 Hondas, can't find one, does anyone know if one exists?

My install post

The display extenders actually need quite a bit of depth - a good 50mm.

They need a solid mount - my install was in the headlining and
I routed my ribbon cable back to the boot via the headlining too.

Anyone else have experience to share about the remote display? For instance, if I pull the player out of the car to update its song library, how easy is it to detach the display, and will it work headless (ie will it boot without a display plugged in) in a home dock?

Any other ideas or things to talk about with this?

You can use it headless for sure - the web ui works just fine (trying it now - fine in Chrome - not so well in my Firefox) smile

Cough laugh laugh laugh

#369001 - 20/07/2017 16:58 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Wow, I had actually asked that question before?! LOL.

I had bought the display extender a long time ago in anticipation of one day needing one. I had forgotten I'd already asked the question. :-)

Nice install pics. Is the display extender still installed and are you still using it in the same car? How have things held up over time? Has the display board tolerated being up there in the headliner where it tends to get hot?

#369004 - 21/07/2017 21:49 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I also notice that my new car (picked up last night) has a web browser in its touchscreen dashboard apps. I haven't gotten it to work yet (my car refuses to connect to my home wifi) but now I'm wondering if I can use the web interface to control the player if I plug it into 12v wifi bridge of some kind. :-)

#369005 - 21/07/2017 22:28 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
...my new car (picked up last night)...
So, did you choose the Accord or the CR-V? Pictures?

tanstaafl.

#369006 - 22/07/2017 21:33 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I went with the Accord, in the EX-L trim level (so I could get the slightly upgraded stereo with the so-called "subwoofer" which seems to be just an 8-inch speaker mounted in the center of the rear deck). I went with the Accord partly because the pics of the CRV make it look like there'd be problems finding a spot on the dash for an empeg remote display. I still might run into problems with it anyway, but I think with the Accord I at least have a fighting chance. Perhaps I'll be able to do it by replacing the little flip-door cubby in front of the gearshift, something that strangely doesn't exist at all in the CRV pics I saw.

I don't have any pics of my own, since other photographers have done much better jobs than I.

#369007 - 22/07/2017 21:35 Re: Let's talk about empegs in new cars with touchscreens, shall we? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel