Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Topic Options
#369047 - 06/08/2017 23:54 3D model of fascia?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Has anyone made, or made available, a 3D model of the empeg Mk2/2a fascia plastic?

I'm thinking that my custom install of the remote display unit is going to likely require a new custom fascia. My install location will likely not have room for the "ears" above the handle hinges. I'm not keen on cutting up the real one, since it's made out of ultra rare unobtainium.

I'm thinking I'll be fabricating something eventually, and the ultimate design for me would be to take the existing fascia design and just tweak it slightly in a 3D modeler. I'd remove the ears and make the outer edges integrate better with its surroundings. Then 3D print (and hand cleanup) a new custom fascia that fits my new location.

If anyone has made a 3D scan of the fascia, I could start with that as my base. Or I wonder if the original design was 3D modeled and if any of the empeg guys have the original model file somewhere.

Alternatively I could go for a pure flat design without stylistic flair, and locate some of the MK1-style round translucent lit button caps, and just have round holes in a flat plastic lens. Those MK1 buttons were an off the shelf part which you could obtain easily as I recall, correct?

#369048 - 07/08/2017 00:00 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I see that this thread exists:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/359643/Display_Board_Technical_Drawin#Post359643

Which is is a good start, and might be enough to get me started, if anyone else hasn't done the remaining 3d sculpting work already.

#369050 - 07/08/2017 01:22 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
If you (Tony) prefer, I can donate a Mk2 fascia to you to modify for your one specific application. It can be cut, and epoxy can be used to remold things around the edges, followed by a coat of (black?) spray paint to unify the colours again.

Cheers

#369058 - 07/08/2017 18:00 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for that offer, Mark!

I own some backup empegs that I bought specifically for spare parts, so I also have a couple of spare fascias that I could use in exactly the way you describe. And I admit, it did cross my mind to do just that.

It just seems to me like it would be a terrible waste to cut up something that is so rare and irreplaceable. I think I would die a little inside if I did that, even (and perhaps especially) if it was a donated one.

There's also the idea that, if I could come up with a 3D model, I could put the source file up on Shapeways or something, and thus the rest of the empeg community could also benefit from it and contribute to it. Also, if doing it as a 3D model, I could iterate on the design as needed, whereas if I were cutting up an original fascia, there's a significant limit on the number of times I could experiment with it.

But it certainly would be quicker if I just cut up a real fascia. Maybe I'll just give in, and do that with one of my spares.

#369078 - 08/08/2017 16:59 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Have you considered casting the fascia using a silicone mold, and then use sculpey or something similar on the cast?

#369079 - 08/08/2017 17:25 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I had thought of that, but the fascia has some interesting characteristics which would potentially make that process problematic. It's long and thin, with certain portions that I might even describe as "filigree". And it is also super sensitive to changes in shape or size, due to the screw hole positioning and the position and size/shape of the button openings. The button openings in particular have a very low tolerance for error.

I'm sure that if I tried to make my own mold castings of it, that I would run into a lot of trouble with those aspects, since I'm not an expert at molding and casting. Iterating on something like that is time consuming and messy, and involves learning new skills.

Whereas, with a 3D print, iterating is merely tweaking the CAD model, something I'm already comfortable with. Though it's still time-consuming because 3D printers are slow.

But maybe silicone casting would indeed be easier and quicker in the long run, and perhaps cheaper, if I were to merely try it. Just talking about it makes me think that it might be fun to try, just for the sake of trying something new. Maybe I might give it a go.

#369080 - 08/08/2017 18:25 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
I wondered about the thin parts, too -- but I think it should be okay. I'd probably try casting before I'd be willing to destroy a fascia -- not to mention my 3D modeling skills aren't great, so this would be the quicker solution in the long run.

On the plus side, if you're building a mold, you can also get an impression of your dash where the fascia will sit, and get an exact fit.

And while things dry, you can work on the 3D model... try both, and see which works best. smile

#369083 - 09/08/2017 12:44 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: tfabris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Aren't the CAD files for the NewFace available somewhere?

#369084 - 09/08/2017 13:10 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: mlord
Aren't the CAD files for the NewFace available somewhere?

Well, after digging through this BBS, I have found at least six (Six!!) previous fascia efforts, and not one of them was intelligent (not quite the right word, but..) enough to post CAD files before they faded away. Amazing.

#369086 - 09/08/2017 16:58 Re: 3D model of fascia? [Re: mlord]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I promise that if I do this, I will post the CAD files if I have any. smile

I'm thinking that stage 1 will be a flat cut fascia that is merely a direct trace of those 300dpi JPG scans you posted in that other thread. Just to get something functional and to have a chance to iterate on the size and shape of the button holes. Once I've got that, I can use that as a base for sculpting outward.