Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#369491 - 05/10/2017 15:34 Re: new goodies from ... Google [Re: DWallach]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Originally Posted By: DWallach
my daughter is currently on her third Chromebook after destroying the first two. Something a little better built might have survived.

Dell*, and others, make Chromebooks for the education market, with abuse in mind. "School tough: The Dell Chromebook 11 is MIL-STD (U.S. Military Standard) tested for durability, pressure, temperature, humidity, shock and vibration so it can handle student life." Though that doesn't mean it is kid proof laugh

*I work for Dell, but don't have a preference one way or another (we have two Toshibas and an Asus at home, right feature set at the time) or endorse the product - I only know public info, but if you want a coupon hit me up.

#369492 - 05/10/2017 15:54 Re: new goodies from ... Google [Re: DWallach]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

So far, Chromebook #3 seems to be holding up pretty well.

#1 got knocked off a table while plugged in and the plug/connector was torn right out, along with a corner of the plastic case.

#2 has a weird failure to do with the connector from the base to the monitor. The top of the case came unpeeled/unglued or something and whenever you touched it the whole computer freaked out and you had to restart it. Touch it funny, and it freaked out again.

#3 is one of the flippy-hinge models and seems to be holding up reasonable well so far.

If/when #3 dies, then I'd be tempted to get something more robust.

Still, when a $200 Chromebook dies, you feel modestly sad and you get another one. When a $2000 high-end Macbook dies, you're far more pissed...

#369493 - 05/10/2017 18:31 Re: new goodies from ... Google [Re: DWallach]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Still, when a $200 Chromebook dies, you feel modestly sad and you get another one. When a $2000 high-end Macbook dies, you're far more pissed...

Agreed

#369501 - 06/10/2017 02:43 Re: new goodies from ... Google [Re: DWallach]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Fun fact: The Pixel 1, bottom of the line, with the new discount, would have been the perfect phone to buy for my wife to replace her current ailing Nexus 5. But guess what? The bottom-of-the-line Pixel is sold out. You can pay extra for 128GB of storage and get it right away, or for the same price, get a Pixel 2, albeit with "only" 64GB.

So now I've got a Pixel 2 on order. Delivery in mid-November.

What's at least nice about this is that our whole family will now be exclusively USB-C to charge all our phones. Sadly, there are still too many Micro-B things floating around here (e.g., the charger for my watch) and Mini-B (bicycle lights). I really would like to go all USB-C and call it a day, but that day is going to take a while to arrive.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2