Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#366389 - 30/03/2016 11:33 Tested and Certified USB-C cables
drakino
carpal tunnel

(New thread for this to come up in searches easier, for future reference)
Originally Posted By: drakino
Did that Google engineer ever resume his testing of cables as a personal project when a bad cable fried his laptop
Originally Posted By: DWallach
Yup, he's still doing this in an unofficial/official capacity. Amusingly, his Amazon reviews are uniformly positive, except in cases when he gets tons of downvotes, which I pointed out to a buddy of mine at Amazon. His reviews have apparently become a nice lightning rod for shady vendors' shadier practices.

I've suggested to my Amazon buddies that they should police the market themselves. No response on that yet.

The Verge reports Amazon has now acted by adding non compliant USB-C cables to it's list of prohibited items.

The work Benson Leung has been doing is now also captured in two sites. One for US shoppers here, and one for UK shoppers here.

#366395 - 30/03/2016 17:43 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The Verge reports Amazon has now acted by adding non compliant USB-C cables to it's list of prohibited items.

That is so awesome!

#366399 - 31/03/2016 02:38 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
As sad as it is that Amazon had to be the one to step in and act as the enforcement body in this matter, I commend them for doing so. And of course I commend Benson for being super awesome and sacrificing his own equipment for a worthy cause!

#366400 - 31/03/2016 10:56 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: Dignan]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
As sad as it is that Amazon had to be the one to step in and act as the enforcement body in this matter, I commend them for doing so. And of course I commend Benson for being super awesome and sacrificing his own equipment for a worthy cause!

I hope Amazon does the right thing here. The bar is pretty low to sell gear on Amazon, so shady no-name vendors will likely continue to "get through".

Also, clarifying my point earlier, when I said "Bensen's reviews were uniformly positive", I was referring to the "473 of 473 people found the following review helpful" things. When Bensen's first number is substantially lower than the second, that turns out to be a strong indicator that a vendor is trying to game the system.

#366499 - 12/04/2016 23:21 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
drakino
carpal tunnel

USB Implementers' Forum also joins in by announcing USB-C Authentication, and a new USB Power Delivery 3 spec that adds said authentication as part of the power charging aspect.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/u...ntication-spec/

The other goal is to also help prevent malware by USB. There is a part of the new authentication spec that will allow an organization to whitelist valid USB devices that can be plugged in and work with the host.

#366502 - 13/04/2016 03:13 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
K447
old hand

Loc: near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
USB Implementers' Forum also joins in by announcing USB-C Authentication, and a new USB Power Delivery 3 spec that adds said authentication as part of the power charging aspect.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/u...ntication-spec/

The other goal is to also help prevent malware by USB. There is a part of the new authentication spec that will allow an organization to whitelist valid USB devices that can be plugged in and work with the host.
Quote:
On the host side, the USB-IF says that support for these new specifications could conceivably be implemented through a combination of firmware and software updates (though this will obviously be up to individual OEMs). Adapters, cables, and other accessories that can't receive firmware or software updates will need to be replaced with new accessories that support the standard.
Um, yeah.

So eventually we will have hardware host devices that will be able to reject bogus cables and devices? Between now and then, how much 'old spec' hardware will be marketed and sold?

The firmware embedded crypto aspects make me shudder

#370595 - 01/03/2018 23:05 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
Faolan
journeyman

The work Benson Leung has been doing is now also captured in two sites. One for US shoppers here, and one for UK shoppers here.

Anyone seen a newer list, or have most/all the bad USB-C products been removed from sale?

Pretty much fully onboard with where I can be, and am seeking to rid my house of USB-A where possible now. It was amusing to buy a Samsung Qi charger recently with a USB-C plug on the base, but a USB-A cord and charger in the box too. Looking forward to a USB-C by default world soon.

#370597 - 02/03/2018 13:42 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

For what it's worth, I've resolved to only buy brands that I've heard of in the time before the rise of the no-names. That includes Belkin, Aukey, Anker, Monoprice, Cable Matters, etc.

Now, let's say you go to Amazon and search for a "short usb-a to usb-c cable", you'll get a list of brands like this:

CableCreation
HomeSpot
COOYA
SNHDIGITAL
DETHINTON
VOKOO
Frerush
Lively Life
TITACUTE
Jiunai
DNRPrime
CoolaDigital
TekBotic
Pofesun
osymoker

Just say no!

#370598 - 02/03/2018 16:30 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Those look like someone trying to make anagrams of existing company names.

#370599 - 02/03/2018 20:16 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Those names are fantastic. I think my favorite is "Lively Life."

#370600 - 02/03/2018 21:03 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I did a slightly different variant on the same search. All actual "brands" on Amazon.

AccessoryChoice
aceyoon
ADABUNNY
Aikenuo
AIVN
Ambet
amkle
Areion
Arteck
ATWATEC
AUKEY
-- hey, an actual company I'd buy parts from!
Bhstore
BlitzWolf
BSHTU
Cable And Case
CableCreation
CableDeconn
Cellet
Cerrxian
CGTime
CONMDEX
Conwork
CoolGear
Coolgear
coolgear
coopsion
COOYA
D & K Exclusives
DETHINTON
DNRPrime
ELZO
Exuun
Fiveboy
Fonus
HomeSpot
iXCC
Magic
Myckuu™
PHONIL
Poweradd
Riipoo
RLTEK
SCDWireless
SNHDIGITAL
StarTech
SUNGUY
TITACUTE
TNODI
TNP Products
UMECORE
WAVLINK

#370601 - 02/03/2018 22:37 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: DWallach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've gotten a few of these kinds of things from StarTech and been happy with them. Not sure if it means they're OK or that the product category is hard to screw up.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0133F30R8

#370602 - 03/03/2018 00:00 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
StarTech are a long established supplier of cables and stuff.

#370609 - 04/03/2018 12:10 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'll third StarTech. But, as is my way, I usually get those hard drive adapters from Anker.

#370615 - 05/03/2018 14:31 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: drakino]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Good to know they're legit, but come on, how can you resist buying cables from Myckuu™? It's the trademark sign that tells you all you need to know.

#370616 - 05/03/2018 21:14 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: DWallach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Good to know they're legit, but come on, how can you resist buying cables from Myckuu™? It's the trademark sign that tells you all you need to know.

I had to know, and it looks like at least it is, in fact, tradmarked.

#370632 - 08/03/2018 12:12 Re: Tested and Certified USB-C cables [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I'll third StarTech. But, as is my way, I usually get those hard drive adapters from Anker.
We use StarTech HDD Docking Stations for cloning drives at work. I've never had a problem with them.