Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#370805 - 09/04/2018 22:27 Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? [Re: Roger]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Roger
I've got a few of these. They're grippy, they're surprisingly weighty, and they're pretty good at keeping your cables on your desk.

Those look pretty cool. I'll look into some of those for general usage.

Still doesn't solve what the heck to do with the Apple AV Multiport Adapter, whose dingledangle is so supidly short as to make any positioning other than "hang off the side" impossible. Not enough length on that cord to do the things I would need to make cord holders or velcro sticky work. I could really use some kind of extender for that thing which works.

#370806 - 09/04/2018 23:41 Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? [Re: tfabris]
K447
addict

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: tfabris
... what the heck to do with the Apple AV Multiport Adapter, whose dingledangle is so supidly short as to make any positioning other than "hang off the side" impossible. ...

Originally Posted By: tfabris
The device I ordered is pretty specific about being a thunderbolt 3 device with two HDMI outputs. It's not the same brand as the CableMatters one that you recommended, but it looks like it's the same class of device. (I ordered a different brand because I could get it faster.)
Why not buy two of these devices?

One on each side of the MacBook Pro 15

Is there something about the Apple adapter that makes it indispensable?

#370807 - 10/04/2018 15:41 Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? [Re: K447]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Power.

#370808 - 10/04/2018 17:12 Re: Laptop docks (again) - Mac broke them, now what? [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

More specifically, my goals are:
- Fewest possible number of cables to dock every time.
- Need to plug in charging power.
- Need to plug into a USB hub.
- Need to plug into at least two external HDMI displays.
- Hopefully also plug into a third external HDMI display.

The Apple AV Multiport adapter took care of all of the above with a single cable, until they broke DisplyayLink and the USB couldn't daisychain into a DisplayLink dock any more. I have had (and still have) the multiport adapter dangling off the side of the desk for a long time, but I never liked how it put stress on the port on the side of the computer, and I'm worried that if I keep doing that it'll eventually break.

My final solution will be a full docking station (I put in an order for the CalDigit TS3 with a 6-foot certifed cable, but the product doesn't actually exist for me yet), plus the dual-HDMI thingy plugged into the opposite side of the laptop.

I don't like the two-cable solution, and I particularly don't like the two-sides-of-the-laptop thing, but it appears that I don't have a choice at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2