More specifically, my goals are:
- Fewest possible number of cables to dock every time.
- Need to plug in charging power.
- Need to plug into a USB hub.
- Need to plug into at least two external HDMI displays.
- Hopefully also plug into a third external HDMI display.
The Apple AV Multiport adapter took care of all of the above with a single cable, until they broke DisplyayLink and the USB couldn't daisychain into a DisplayLink dock any more. I have had (and still have) the multiport adapter dangling off the side of the desk for a long time, but I never liked how it put stress on the port on the side of the computer, and I'm worried that if I keep doing that it'll eventually break.
My final solution will be a full docking station (I put in an order for the CalDigit TS3 with a 6-foot certifed cable, but the product doesn't actually exist for me yet
), plus the dual-HDMI thingy
plugged into the opposite side of the laptop.
I don't like the two-cable solution, and I particularly don't like the two-sides-of-the-laptop thing, but it appears that I don't have a choice at the moment.