Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#37079 - 24/08/2001 07:58 Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
I finally wrote down my ordeal with Best Buy and my unit problems. If you are interested, you can read the whole story at http://www.gregdemetrick.com/empeg_install.html. The page is very dry but covers most of the issues involved. There is a follow-up on the amp return that I need to add.

Again, big Thank Yous go out to the Empeg crew for helping me fix the unit problems, the BBS for helping me understand how car audio works, and to Custom Car Audio for helping me understand how terrible Best Buy's installers really are.

Greg

#37080 - 24/08/2001 08:27 Re: Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg [Re: kazama]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I wouldn't trust Worst Buy to plug in a radar detector.

Brian

-See my empeg here-

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#37081 - 24/08/2001 08:59 Re: Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg [Re: kazama]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Interesting write-up.

One comment I wanted to make:

The trick with looping the speaker wires through the Honda connector is not uncommon. I did it in my Honda. It allows you to skip one of the speaker wire runs between the dash and the trunk.

The noise problems, such as the alternator whine, were most likely not caused by it. Those were more likely due to amp and grounding problems.

#37082 - 24/08/2001 19:56 Re: Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg [Re: kazama]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
it's best not to have any dealings with best buy or they may get the city of richfield, MN to condem your your car dealership which is located it a prime retail location so that they can build the stupid office buliding for their headquarters

(sorry this probably only makes sense if you live in minnesota the state where the good for nothings are headquartered in)

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI

Matt

#37083 - 25/08/2001 01:21 Re: Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg [Re: kazama]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I'm surprised you didn't firebomb the store. The lack of service is unforgivable.
I truely am sorry you had so much trouble getting the empeg system you should have had in the first place.

Apart form the trouble with the empeg itself, the rest of it sounds like a nightmare.

you must have 'rediscovered' your music and the empeg now!

Murray 06000047
Just increasing my post count

#37084 - 27/08/2001 09:02 Re: Why Not to Have Best Buy Install an Empeg [Re: tfabris]
kazama
enthusiast

Loc: Boston, MA
At first, I was annoyed by it because I didn't really understand what was going on. Then I thought it was pretty smart because of the reasons you mention. It is a very clever way to wire front speakers without having to run new cords. I just wish Worst Buy would have given me some sort of write up so I knew that was how it was wired.

I think the alternator whine had to do with the speakers more than anything. The ground didn't help but not having wires sheilded properly at the speaker level I believe might have been the main culprit. Anyways, all is well now and I can't want to get the tuner in there too. Car Talk in my car, what a concept.