Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#41071 - 31/01/2002 15:53 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tms13]
Yang
addict

Loc: Raleigh, NC
    Which is probably great for those with colour browsers, but a bit useless for the rest of us...

then use tfabris's idea and use the
[list][orange]text[/orange][/list]
tags..

#41072 - 07/02/2002 20:32 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Bad boys, bad boys, what'cha gonna do? What'cha gonna do when they come for you?"

Yes, I do have that song loaded onto my player. And I can't wait for the day I roll by someone pulled over and I'm blaring that song....

#41073 - 08/02/2002 14:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
LOL.

#41074 - 08/02/2002 21:37 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
It'll be the day he gets a driver's license. Sometime after 120GB drives are available in 2.5" form factor.

I try to be pretty impartial, but people who listen to that crap shouldn't be allowed to even look at an empeg, much less own one.

Bruno

#41075 - 09/02/2002 05:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Careful, I own some amazingly cheesy music

In fact, my favourite daytime listening is the Eurodance/HiNRG Digitally imported "Finest cheese on the net" shoutcast station. It's suitably mindless not to impinge on whatever else you're thinking about...

Hugo

#41076 - 09/02/2002 13:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

There's a difference between cheese and crap. I mean, some Samantha Fox is pretty cheese. MC Hammer is crap. See, there's a careful distinction.

Bruno

#41077 - 09/02/2002 14:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
svferris
addict

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Well, I have to throw in further distinction...

There's also a difference between crap and nostalgia. Things like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are nostalgic and fun to listen to sometimes...just not often.

#41078 - 09/02/2002 15:59 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Cheese doesn't have a boundary when it comes to Nostalgia. Crap is always just crap.. Sorry. The only reason anyone remembers Vanilla Ice is because of Queen and Bowie's Under Pressure. The only reason anyone remembers that song quoted earlier is because the equally crap show, COPS, uses it as its theme.

Bruno

Ah, finally, I can switch off the "Ulympics" on NBC and switch over to coverage of the "Olympics" on CBC.

#41079 - 09/02/2002 20:11 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, that song is a classic. Along with the theme song from Saved by the Bell....

"If the teacher pops a test, I know I'm in a mess, and my dog ate all my homework last night. Riding low in my chair, she won't know that I'm there, if I can turn it in tomorrow it'll BE ALL RIGHT. It's....allll....riiiight, cause I'm saved by the bell."

Do they have that show in Canada? What about the UK?

#41080 - 10/02/2002 07:10 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Yes, ISTR saved by the bell when I was a student... on in the mornings at about 11am, when most students get out of bed

Hugo

#41081 - 10/02/2002 19:02 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: altman]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I have a Screach nite lite. Not.

Bruno

#41082 - 10/02/2002 19:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I want my thread back!

Emiliana Torrini - To Be Free
Kenna - Red Man

#41083 - 10/02/2002 19:29 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

The entire 'empeg reviews' section is dead. Acutally it's a vegetable, cause I'm barely keeping it breathing with new song quotes.......

"teenage mutant ninja turtles......Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....... TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES......heroes in a half-shell, TURTLE POWER!"

#41084 - 10/02/2002 20:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think you just proved Bruno's "Driver's License" point.

#41085 - 10/02/2002 21:04 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Unfortunately, TMNT was actually a really good comic book back in the days of the black-and-white explosion of the mid-to-late eighties. Then it got commercialized out the wazoo, turned to utter crap, and as a final blow, they let one of the biggest hacks in the comic book biz take over writing it. [sigh]

(Actually, that cartoon was out in the late eighties, as well, and wasn't rerun that much, AFAIK, so it may refute the Driver's License point.)

#41086 - 11/02/2002 07:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I have a few of those old comics stored away somewhere.... they made the Punisher look like Disney's work. Very very dark and amazing artwork. I'm not a big fan of comics and I was blown away! That, and the original Crow series.

#41087 - 11/02/2002 08:18 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Things like Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer are nostalgic and fun to listen to sometimes...just not often.

I confess to being a bit nostalgic about U Can't Touch This, although the song it samples is actually better. I've only heard that song once, though, and I don't know what it's called or who it's by.

There is also a small cardboard box at the bottom of one of my wardrobes containing CDs I'm not prepared to confess to...

Peter

#41088 - 11/02/2002 08:33 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: peter]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I've only heard that song once, though, and I don't know what it's called or who it's by.

Super Freak by Rick James.

#41089 - 11/02/2002 11:01 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: tonyc]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Super Freak by Rick James

Thanks!

Peter

#41090 - 11/02/2002 13:10 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: peter]
svferris
addict

There is also a small cardboard box at the bottom of one of my wardrobes containing CDs I'm not prepared to confess to...

Hell, I'll confess to owning all kinds of bad music. I have New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli, MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul...need I go on?

When you're a music enthusiast you tend to dabble in everything. Of course, it's not like I listen to these on a regular basis or anything. Most of them are on cassette and haven't been touched in 10 years. But, I grew up in the 80s, so it comes with the territory.

#41091 - 11/02/2002 13:48 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> When you're a music enthusiast you tend to dabble in everything.

As far as I am concerened there are only two kinds of songs in the world; Ones that I have, and ones that I don't have...yet.

#41092 - 11/02/2002 15:48 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ninti]
svferris
addict

Ahh, well said.

#41093 - 11/02/2002 19:17 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Ummm.. I grew up in the 80's. Except I have stuff like U2, Soft Cell, Joy Division, New Order, The Clash, David Bowie, Duran Duran, ABC, Yazoo, Erasure, INXS, some Madonna, Depeche Mode, the Smiths, Alphaville, Blondie, Men Without Hats ... Hmm, there seems to be a lot of UK talent in there. Also, acts like Bowie, Blondie and the Clash go back right into the 70's. When I was much younger I used to listen to stuff my parents had of course, like the Beatles, so I was off to a good start.

Ok, during the 80's I also quite liked some stuff from Joan Jett, Kiss, Lionel Richie (one song in particular), Paul Young, Prince (lots of stuff), Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam (and tons more freestyle)... That MCHammer and New Kids stuff was late 80's and I thought right away it was pure crap. Ugh. Same type of renewal we have had in the past 3 years, except now we also have garbage like Staind & Limp Bizkit (what a waste of studio-space).

Bruno

#41094 - 11/02/2002 20:09 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: svferris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that's what I'm talking about. Songs that I've been quoting have there own genre, something like old/cheese/everybody-knows-and-makes-fun-of-but-it-still-has-a-catchy-tune type of music. Not something that you really seriously get into, but just like to play every once and a while. And yes, the previous phrase was indeed a fragmented sentence.

And to clear the confusion, I am approximately 18.9698 years of age, I do have a driver's license, and I passed my test with flying pigments.

Another song that fits nicely into the aforementioned category:
"Well this is the story of about how my life got twisted, turned upside-down. It'll only take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how become the prince of a town called Belaire....."

#41095 - 11/02/2002 22:28 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

The problem I have with Limp Bizkit, etc. is the same problem I have with rap. It's not so much that I hate the music, which I do, but more the fact that it has pushed everything else off the map. So just like its nearly impossible to find new funk, it's nearly impossible to find non-Bizkit hard rock.

What's sad is that I tend to enjoy the earlier proponents of those sorts of music. I tend to like Korn and Grandmaster Flash, for example.

#41096 - 11/02/2002 23:32 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Exactly. But I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock. Just piss-ant crap feeding to the masses. Like their compatriots. It's music for grade-schoolers.

Now, give me Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Alice in Chains, Live... Just to keep it popular and mildly recent. I still listen to a lot of new stuff and plenty of variety. There is excellent music being made. Just don't expect to hear any of it on the radio. The radio stations around here just have "personalities" that enjoy hearing their own lousy voices. A large number of them are dumber than dirt and shouldn't be opening their mouths but for very (few) select topics.

And then you get people like y333 there, who, by some accounts, should know better but chooses to live and act like one of the drones. My primary reason for enjoying this board is that everyone is different, but have a good nature in common. The talent pool of the board is fascinating and quite varried. I would not bet on finding an equal elsewhere.

Bruno

#41097 - 11/02/2002 23:44 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
Anonymous
Unregistered

So now I live and act as one of 'the drones'...... You have no creativity.

#41098 - 11/02/2002 23:56 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock
Neither do I, but that's the space they're filling up. They're not pushing aside soft rock acts or rap acts or country acts. They're pushing aside Foo Fighters and ... uhhh (/me tries to come up with other recent, popular, reasonably good hard rock bands) ... Jimmy Eat World(?). See, I can barely even come up with any.

#41099 - 12/02/2002 00:41 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: hybrid8]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> Exactly. But I don't consider Limp Bizkit hard rock. Just piss-ant crap feeding to the masses. Like their compatriots. It's music for grade-schoolers.

Are you done yet. I like you Bruno, so please don't take this too wrong, but you are being very arrogant and insulting. All that is your opinion. The funny thing is I like all those bands you mentioned earlier (I have every Beatles and Duran Duran album for instance), and I also like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

It really serves no purpose to demean other's music tastes merely because they don't agree with yours. It takes all kinds of tastes and music and as far as I am concerned it is all good. Please stop.

#41100 - 12/02/2002 01:14 Re: Anyone recommend a good track? [Re: ninti]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

I don't really want to come off as a jerk, but I happen to think that Bruno is right in this case. I wonder if you'll still be listening to Limp Bizkit in a dozen years. Somehow, I doubt it almost as much as whether anyone will even remember them then, except, perhaps, as a novelty. I tend to have a good ear for that sort of thing, and I feel confident about this one. Limp Bizkit seems to do nothing more than regurgitate what they've heard before. There's nothing new there besides an annoying, self-serving, hypocritical attitude.

Personally, I blame Anthrax and Pubic Enemy (two other bands I like) for starting all of this crap. But if it hadn't been them, it'd probably have been someone else.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >