Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4269 - 01/05/2000 14:33 PJB-100 Portable 4.6gb MP3 player open sourced (...or maybe not..)
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Looks like the portable 4.6gb mp3 player has been open sourced.

-mark

...proud to have one of the first Mark I units

#4270 - 01/05/2000 15:54 Ermm.. no.. [Re: dionysus]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Their download protocol has been open sourced. BIG difference!

As we've always said, we'll release source for emptool as soon as the protocol is vaguely stable. We don't want to release something that will require major patching within a month or two, hence the binary-only download up until now.

I would imagine that source will be released somewhere around Consumer R1.0 but in the mean time at least we have an x86 Linux downloader available as a binary, which was not the case with the PJB.

Rob

#4271 - 01/05/2000 22:08 Re: Ermm.. no.. [Re: rob]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Yes, but I want a PPCLinux version or an OS X Server version or a NeXTStep version or a MacOS version or maybe even a Solaris version. Am I the only person left in this world without an x86 based PC? Common guys, your unit runs linux on a StrongARM processor, that is pretty outside the mainstream. Please, just give us the linux downloader source sometime before the Mark2's release date so I can make it run on something I already own!

-Mike

My $0.001 (adjusted for inflation and currency exchange rates)

#4272 - 02/05/2000 16:52 Re: Ermm.. no.. [Re: mcomb]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
> just give us the linux downloader source sometime before the Mark2

That's only about a month away.

Aside from anything else, the developers that need to clean up the emptool code are rather occupied with other tasks right now. When I say "clean up" I don't only mean firm up the protocol and check that the source looks nice - there's a lot of code in there that refers to projects covered by non disclosure agreements, and that has to be carefully remedied.

More so than the emptool source, what's really needed is an empeg SDK. We don't have anyone available to write it at the moment, but we do consider third party development to be important for this product and tasks to help accomplish this are already written into our development schedule.

Rob