Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#42841 - 20/10/2001 08:29 TVR Tuscan Installation Questions
SpiceBoy
new poster

Loc: London, England
Has anyone installed an Empeg in a TVR Tuscan Speed 6? The car arrives in 3 weeks and I'm sold on the Empeg if I can get it installed properly!

Specific questions:

• Is the DIN housing deep enough to hold an Empeg + tuner module? It looks like it tapers towards the back and isn't as deep as a normal dashboard mount.
  • What amp did you get and where did you mount it? I don't really like the idea of tearing up carpets to run cables to the amp, when the speakers will already be wired from the front of the car.
  • I've ordered 4 speakers to be factory installed (as per the black Tuscan S that was on Top Gear about a month ago!) If necessary I'll upgrade them later, but any suggestions here would be welcome...

Thanks in advance,

Robin
[email protected]

#42842 - 20/10/2001 08:33 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't know anything about that car in particular, but I do have one comment to make:

I don't really like the idea of tearing up carpets to run cables to the amp, when the speakers will already be wired from the front of the car.

If done by a professional installer, no "tearing up" will happen. If they do it right, they will do it by carefully dismantling and re-assembling of all of the necessary parts. It's not a problem for most installers.

Adding a good amplifier and installing it correctly is a very important part of getting good sound from your system.

#42843 - 21/10/2001 03:23 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
As TVR is defenitely not a cheap car i would not recommend you to any installation yourself. Take it to people who really know what they're doing. Take a trip to Cambrige Audio as they are most experienced empeg installers in the world.

Veiko
[email protected]

MK1 #317 - 20GB green
Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green

#42844 - 21/10/2001 13:17 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
As far as I am aware (and according to my friend Ian who has a Tuscan) you can specify the stereo installation by the factory to your requirements before delivery. I am surprised your salesman has not told you this! It is done at cost, but they say that if done during construction it can be done to a high standard. Ring up the factory and enquire. Mind you though, if you're three weeks from delivery, I would reckon you are too late, unforch

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#42845 - 21/10/2001 16:19 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: schofiel]
SpiceBoy
new poster

I'm far too clumsy to attempt installation myself - will definitely get an expert to do it for me!

Veiko - thanks for the Cambridge Audio recommendation - nice to know that there is somewhere with experience of installing these things! I'll give them a shout once the car arrives...

Rob, unfortunately it took me 12 months to choose a colour for the car (and even then it's custom!) so choosing a stereo before I knew that the Empeg even existed was tough! That's why I just got them to install the speakers, so that at least the wiring would be there from the start. Unfortunately the car is now "in build" and the factory is shut for a week, so it's too late to change stuff :-( How come you haven't persuaded Ian to get an Empeg?!?!?!

Anyway, now price has dropped, looks like I'll buy it anyway and take it on a day out to Cambridge for installation...

Thanks for the help!

Robin
(email: [email protected])

#42846 - 22/10/2001 09:53 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: tfabris]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Not heard of a TVR Tuscan, shame on you Tony...

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

#42847 - 23/10/2001 04:35 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
How come you haven't persuaded Ian to get an Empeg?!?!?!

How do you think I knew about factory installation, eh? I have been working on him for a while. He's softening nicely, and with the EOL, he's starting to twitch somewhat....

#42848 - 23/10/2001 10:01 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: schofiel]
SpiceBoy
new poster

Thanks for posting the Tuscan pic - you beat me to it! I've got loads more TVR pics on my UltraTVR site...

That looks like the black Tuscan S demonstrator from the factory? Took it for a spin round Blackpool about 8 weeks ago - awesome. That's when I asked them to install the extra speakers, but didn't know the Empeg even existed then!

Finally ordered my unit yesterday. Should have been dispatched today, so will hopefully arrive tomorrow. Car due w/c 12 November, so that should give me plenty of time to fill 20GB.

I'll post some pics once I get mine installed - if that doesn't persuade Ian to buy one, nothing will!

Robin

#42849 - 31/10/2001 00:34 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
If you look in one of the incar hifi magazines this month there is a feature on a install can't remeber the name but it seems a reasonable guide

#42850 - 10/11/2001 09:11 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: andy]
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
Not heard of a TVR Tuscan, shame on you Tony...

I think there are much people that have never heard about TVR-s. As this is car for true fans and built in low volume, no wonder that it's not very known. Quite like empeg :)
Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green

#42851 - 11/11/2001 11:34 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: tfabris]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
The car John Travolta drove in the movie Swordfish was a TVR Tuscan they were sent 4 to use by TVR at $100,000.00 each to use in the movie.

#42852 - 11/11/2001 12:07 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: SpiceBoy]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
WOW. The interior on that Cerbera is one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen.... *drool*

#42853 - 11/11/2001 12:50 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: jwickis]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
$100,000 sounds a bit steep. They only cost 40,000UKP ($64,000) to buy the base model (which is all that was available at the time). Admittedly they had the fancy chameleon paint job which adds $2,000 or so.

At least two of the four cars used in the filming were then shipped back to the UK and sold by TVR to customers...

#42854 - 11/11/2001 14:23 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: andy]
jwickis
addict

Loc: India
If you watch the Swordfish DVD 'making the movie' section on it, they mention the kind of car and how much they cost, the car wasn't in production at the time the movie was made. It sounded like they didn't pay for the cars though and they also couldn't drive them because they don't meet emisions and were right-hand drive.

#42855 - 12/11/2001 10:55 Re: TVR Tuscan Installation Questions [Re: jwickis]
SpiceBoy
new poster

When the film studio emailed TVR asking for a car to use in the film, TVR ignored it as they thought it was a practical joke! It took about a dozen calls for the factory to take them seriously about "borrowing" the cars for the film!

One of the four cars was riddled with bullets during the filming (deliberately!). When the car arrived back at UK customs, they delayed authorising the vehicle until they checked with the factory that the car was acceptable in that condition!

I think 3 of the cars have gone to "regular" customers and the one with the bullet holes is often displayed by TVR at public events.

The cars did not have EC type approval when the film was made, but it was very close to being released. There are no plans to sell Tuscans in the US, due to emissions, safety, and a host of other reasons. A bit of a shame, as they are great cars. Actually, I'll let you know in a couple of weeks when mine arrives. Should manage some Empeg install pics while I'm at it!

Cheers,

Robin

P.S. Tuscan logo just uploaded to riocar.org (awaiting approval...)