Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4787 - 27/02/2000 09:11 Need some help....
TommyE
enthusiast

Loc: NORWAY
Hello.

I have done some programming from time to time, and I would really like to
see if I can get my Empeg doing anything with my own programs.

Are there anyone who can tell me what tools I need to get started??

I have a couple of machines running Windows2000, and I can get Linux
up running one another one. What would be the simplest??

Can I compile on the EMpeg, or....

Best regards
Tommy Eriksen

#4788 - 27/02/2000 11:03 Re: Need some help.... [Re: TommyE]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Are there anyone who can tell me what tools I need to get started??

I have a couple of machines running Windows2000, and I can get Linux
up running one another one. What would be the simplest??

Can I compile on the EMpeg, or....

The most suitable way for me has been to compile all programs on empeg. This way, I don't have to have a separate linux box with cross compilers setted up.

As I'm much more familiar with Win32 programming than Linux, I've built an empeg "emulator" for Windows, so that I can develop all programs under Windows and then just transfer the source files to empeg, compile it and run. This has worked better than I believe in first place - I have a small 128x32 window on my PC which represents empeg's display and I've mapped all the front panel buttons & remote keys to my PC keyboard.

To get you started, you should first use the empeg developer image and then get all necessary compiler related stuff from: ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/debian/arm/dists/transitional/binary-arm/ where they have ready made binaries for ARM.

Still, I'd like to emphasize that a basic linux knowledge and a programming background is *must* before you can get anything else than a single dot into the screen :)

Kim