Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#48711 - 30/11/2001 23:25 anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ?
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
has anyone seen or know any info about this item from HP

http://dec.hp-at-home.com/

looks interesting but it appears to have a tiny display like all the other products like this that are out now

Matt

#48712 - 30/11/2001 23:31 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: msaeger]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

ok after reading more it sounds like it hooks to a tv for display so thats better

Matt

#48713 - 01/12/2001 00:43 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Looks just like a PC in a VCR-style box to me. With some custom software. And a HUGE price tag for desktop computer parts.

Something like the ReplayTV with added functionality would be a lot cooler, IMO.

Bruno

#48714 - 01/12/2001 07:36 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

thats what everyone says about the empeg too

Matt

#48715 - 01/12/2001 11:16 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: msaeger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Unlike the empeg, this HP thing actually looks ike just a NORMAL PC though. Hey, I've had devices like that at work for a few years. Home-entertainment PCs. Dong all sorts of things, from PVR to HDTV, etc. All sorts of prototypes of all shapes, sizes and functions. Some products were released by various companies and then just a lot of reference designs. Most everything based on standard PC parts inside a consumer-oriented case.

Anyway, unless the descirptions on the HP site were a little incomplete, it doesn't sound too great to me. It's a little limited and the software didn't seem that revolutionary. Read the ReplayTV press material for something that packs a little more oomph. :)

I hope these devices do sell. Especially if they have adequate turn-around to promote next generation parts when they hit the market. Unfortunately, at $999 I think it's a little steep for someone to consider it to be a stepping stone. ANd just from their web site, I get the gut feeling like it's a project they'll kill sooner than later unfortunately.

Bruno

#48716 - 01/12/2001 13:03 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: hybrid8]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

I went to best buy toady and they actually have them and there is one set up.

the hp website has little info but they have the manual avaliable for download

it works pretty good the biggest thing I didn't like was the remote doesn't have letters for searching by title instead they use an onscreen keyboard. it has ethernet and can be networked with a pc to allow loading songs from the pc to the unit and for internet radio

Matt

#48717 - 03/12/2001 07:34 Re: anyone seen the hp digital entertainment center ? [Re: msaeger]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I wish you could take the on-screen display from this, and give it to the RioReceiver!