Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#4947 - 12/10/1999 10:31 Review of No. 183
Matt
new poster

Loc: Herts,UK
I got my unit a week ago today..... 7 days of bliss!

4Gb/Blue/Win98

First impression were, WAW! The screen is so much better than any other
car headunit I have ever seen. There must be more than 20 different visual effects you can choose from.

I was suprised by the amount of "things" that came with the unit, cables for every situation I believe. It came with an antenna booster which I didnt think much of until I had installed the unit and noticed that the radio had other ideas about working! Must get round to adding that....

The sound quality is nothing but impressive although I havent yet tried any rates other than 44/128kb. A point to watch though is it does not like any dodgy MP3, I copied a few over by accident and as soon as it reached the "bad" part of the son the device crashed! This was quite annoying as I couldnt tell it to miss that song until I got home and delete it from the unit.

The software to transfer is good, although it did take 2 hours to get the first song on there(the empeg guy's helped me out and it turns out I discovered a bug at the same time :-)

Although I think my girlfriend thinks Im a bit backwards with technolgy just because I have a "pull out" stereo now, very 80's! The USB is failry fast and takes roughly 15 seconds to transfer a song, not as quick as Id hoped but satisfactory.

The best think about it is the reaction from your friends, especially non techie
ones, 5 minutes in the toilet with some tissue is the usual response so far and even my girlfriend asked If I had a new stereo (That is the BIGGEST compliment ever!)

I would happily recomend (can't spell without Word ;-) empeg to anyone and if anyone would like to see my unit working their welcome to email me. Im in the UK, Watford area.

Matt

#4948 - 13/10/1999 06:37 Re: Review of No. 183 [Re: Matt]
Robbo
new poster

Loc: Staffs, UK
Sounds good. Did you install it yourself or get a man who can? Did you have an amp installed already?

-Rob

#4949 - 13/10/1999 13:54 Re: Review of No. 183 [Re: Robbo]
Matt
new poster

Loc: Herts,UK
I installed it myself, took all of 15 minutes! Yeah Ive got an Alpine amp powering the treble speakers and a Rockford powering a 12" sub. If your wondering wether you can bo bothered to install an amp it doesnt take that long(about 3 hours work).