Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#49948 - 13/12/2001 14:19 I need help PLS with this connection PLS :( ...
adren
new poster

Hello every body...

Ok pls i need help on this connection...

Ok ill give you a run down on what the set up is..

Line -> with longish line cord to Modem.. Modem -> (56k Faxmodem External US Robotics) to PC via Serial Port.

Connection speed, now I dont know if this I relevant to the connection but... I have 2 other phones around the house 1 up stairs.. and one downstairs.. now when I plug out the phone from the socket up stairs I can get a connection of 50k - 52k when I plug the phone back in again I get about 45k to 48k with my connection.

Now the main problem isnt downloading or browsing when im at 52k they are very nice... the problem is.. Lag on servers.. using most isps.. it is VERY jumpy.. it sticks and flows again and jumps.. and when i ping servers in dos tho it seems okish ..

Ping server cs.irelandcs.com:27015 at 52k on eLive.

No packet loss in there, or iregular pings like

But when im on the server ping goes like...

to
180 again.

Then when im rushing or there is loads of people around on the screen when im firing it goes 180 190 400 700 900 1200 and drops then again when im dead..

My Pc I would think is handy enuf... P3 500 128RAM TNT2 32 RAM

So whats the story? I have tried most isps and they all give same results really when im pinging them in DOS they seem fine but in game they are very jumpy and sticky.. not stable at all.

You do not know how much it would help to get this sorted out so thx very much if you have any thing that you might have to help..

Cheers.

#49949 - 13/12/2001 14:30 Re: I need help PLS with this connection PLS :( ... [Re: adren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Line noise and signal degradation is common when plugging additional telephone devices into the same wiring set.

As far as ping is concerned, that could just be normal latency fluctuation (normal with modems), or it could be a symptom of the line nose.

I recommend that you get broadband (DSL, cable-modem, 802.11 wireless, ISDN) service if it is available. This will solve both problems extremely well.

Note that satellite service (DirectPC, Starband), although it is broadband and will solve the download speed problems, will not solve the ping problem. Those services have lousy pings, sometimes worse than modem.

If you do not have broadband service available, I recommend getting a separate telephone line just for the data connection. Plug only one or two computers into the data jack. This will make things work as they were intended, but it isn't as nice as broadband.

#49950 - 13/12/2001 17:02 Re: I need help PLS with this connection PLS :( ... [Re: adren]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
You say that the pings get that odd pattern when you're ``on the server''. What do you mean by that? How is that different than before? I'm not being a jackass; I just don't understand what the difference is, and if I did, I might be able to help.