Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#50841 - 21/12/2001 17:36 IBM Thinkpad Power Supply
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
I have an IBM thinkpad power supply without an AC power cord for it. I heard that the thinkpad power supply will work with the empeg? Where can I get an AC power cord for it?

Calvin

#50842 - 22/12/2001 21:58 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: eternalsun]
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
Well I have certainly used a IBM Thinkpad power supply to power my Empeg from.
check that the voltage of your Thinkpad P/S is within the allowable range for the empeg [empeg range is min. 11V to max of 16V and the IBM PS is pretty close to that upper limit].

Note: Some older thinkpads had a different PS with a higher voltage. Thoe Thinkpads I've used were all less than 3 years old.

Also check that the polarity of the Thinkpad PS output matches your empeg - that is centre pin positive, [ground is negative].

Other than that, your supply will work fine.

As far as a AC cord goes, well you don't say which country you live but IBM parts like this are pretty common if you look in the right place.

For those who don't know the IBM power supply has a smaller than IEC style socket on the PS and the socket is clover shaped i.e. it has 3 rounded 'pins' in the shape of a 3 leaf clover which means you can't take a normal IEC connector and make it fit [IEC's have rectangular 'pins' IBMs have round pins].

I don't know if any other laptop power supplies have a similar shape - most ones these days use a regular IEC style socket so any IEC cord for your power will do.
The only other device I've seen with the same type of cord is the Nokia M1122 ADSL modems we use here in New Zealand.
These are the same kind of plug so may be a suitable replacement source.

I do have a spare Thinkpad US style power supply AC cord [from my Thinkpad] [with a US plug on it (came with both local and US cords], I don't travel much so I don';t really need it and if I did travel I'd use a 'plug convertor' rather than the cable they supplied.
The US style plug could be replaced with a UK, European or whatever cord as required].

While the cable would be free - you'd have to pay the cost of me sending it to you - which would be about $5USD as least depending where you live and how urgently you want it.

I'd look at the main IBM support website [support.ibm.com] and locate the Thinkpad area and try and find the local [or closest] phone number to you for support and see what they charge for a replacement AC power cord.
Knowing IBM it will either be really cheap or really, really expensive.

#50843 - 22/12/2001 22:14 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: number6]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Apple uses the same rounded 3-part plugs on some laptop power supplies. And I believe LG has also used them for some of their flat panel power supplies. They're not swappable for the Apple cable, so it's a good idea to stick with something known to work.

Bruno

#50844 - 24/12/2001 21:17 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: eternalsun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I have an IBM thinkpad power supply without an AC power cord for it. I heard that the thinkpad power supply will work with the empeg? Where can I get an AC power cord for it?

Make things easy on yourself and go here.

I (and several other people on this bbs) have used these power supplies (Qualcomm # TAACA0035. DC coax power plug, 2.1mm I.D., 5.5mm O.D., center positive. Wall plug style. CAT# PS-131) for more than a year now with excellent luck. Allectronics is very reliable, ships very quickly.

tanstaafl.

#50845 - 25/12/2001 12:39 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: eternalsun]
Wire

Loc: Jylland, Denmark
Hi,

The IBM Thinkpad external PSU has worked fine for me as well.

A power cord should be no problem, just nick one off a nearby radio or similar equipment using the same kind of power plug.

#50846 - 29/12/2001 15:45 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: Wire]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

It's the same power cord as the Playstation (original) and other appliances. What is this type of cable called? If I can obtain one for cheap then that would be best.

Calvin

#50847 - 29/12/2001 15:48 Re: IBM Thinkpad Power Supply [Re: tanstaafl.]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the link.

Calvin