Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#51060 - 23/12/2001 13:42 Shorten i.e. SHN File
2003Tibby
new poster

I have a ton of live music in my archive and would love to be able to transfer them to my Empeg and listen to them, however its not natively supported, if anyone has any experience in programming I'm sure that it wouldn't be that hard to add, however I have no experience on my own. There is open source stuff for playing shorten files on linux at www.etree.org I think this would be a great addition to our players since it is lossless compressed wavs.

topperge

#51061 - 23/12/2001 15:34 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: 2003Tibby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
If you can't find an SHN-to-MP3 converter, see if there is a way to decode the SHN file to a WAV and then turn the WAV into an MP3.

If there's no easy way to decode the SHN to a WAV, then use the program named "Total Recorder" to do the conversion, that will definitely work.

#51062 - 23/12/2001 16:20 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: tfabris]
2003Tibby
new poster

I was hoping that it could be added as a supported format to the empeg, I really dont want to convert all 200+ shows of mine to mp3, oh well. Maybe someone else has some ideas how to get it supported, Thanks

#51063 - 23/12/2001 17:12 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: 2003Tibby]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

You are the only person on the planet (that I know of) who has ever requested direct support for that kind of file type.

Since it takes lots of development time to add other file types to the player, they only put in support for popular file types. I've never heard of the file type you just mentioned, so it's no wonder they didn't include support for it.

#51064 - 23/12/2001 19:03 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: tfabris]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
SHN is one of the lossless formats that have been discussed around here in the past. It's mostly popular amongst people who trade live shows (bootlegs). I was originally perplexed as to why this lossless format was chosen when we all know that taped shows are generally low quality to start with, so the "loss" from even 128 kbit MP3 is simply not noticable.. However, I don't think SHN's suffer from the "frame boundary skip" problems we all know about in our quests to get gapless output. For live shows this would obviously be very important. So I can see why it became popular (though many better lossless formats with better compression have come on the scene.)

I'm pretty sure it's the most established of the lossless formats, though not the most technically advanced. SHN files are, if memory serves me correct, between 20 and 30 megs for an average length song, I can't remember the exact ratio.. But they're smaller than WAV, bigger than MP3.

#51065 - 21/08/2002 03:33 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: tfabris]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
I also would LOVE to be able to play SHN tracks in my Empeg. Right now I either use Shnamp Winamp plugin (on my PC) or convert the SHNs with a wonderful tool called MKW Audio Compression Toolkit from > http://www.etree.org/mkw.html to wavs then to MP3s. The conversion takes more of my time than setting up the downloads.

THe SHN is now the standard for Grateful Dead, Phish, Ratdog, and virtually all the traders sites.

The Futher.net peer-to peer thing only accepts submissions and searches with pre-approved bands (that generously allow audience recordings to be exchanged.) It is a legal Napster type exchange.

Thanks,
Mark

#51066 - 22/08/2002 08:42 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: tfabris]
Lemmy

Loc: Germany
In Antwort auf:

Since it takes lots of development time to add other file types to the player, they only put in support for popular file types.

so we'll get ogg vorbis in the next software update?

SCNR,
[L]

#51067 - 22/08/2002 09:33 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: Lemmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Probably not in the next software update, as they are only concentrating on bug fixes at the moment. But eventually, they hope to be able to include it.

#51068 - 09/09/2002 22:04 Re: Shorten i.e. SHN File [Re: tonyc]
Mark Miller
journeyman

Loc: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Actually many of the older taped shows were done on double speed recorders and the quality was often futher improved in the recent digital domain.... but regarding the "low quality vs. loss" I should point out that many live shows are now recorded with laptops directly in digital form. Some even with DVD type 24bit sound. Shorten is the current standard in lossless formats among those that exchange live shows (for example via Futhurnet.com) and if possible would be wonderful to play on our Empeg/Rio players.