Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5187 - 14/09/1999 01:46 Sled dimensions
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I worked on installing Emma in my Mini this weekend, replacing a Blaupunkt tape/radio in a sled.

I noticed that the empeg sled dimensions are slightly different to the Blaupunkt; if you can imagine the sled aperture, then the width is exactly the same but the height is some 1.5 mm smaller. This meant that the dashboard aperture was too large, and the sled just wouldn't locate cleanly - it slipped back throught the dash when the unit was inserted as the tiny flange around the sled aperture just didn't engage with the dash to grip it properly.

I had a look at a couple of dashboard sleds I have, for comparison. I have a Philips "generic" conversion sled, a Philips RC629, a Grundig, the Blaupunkt, and a Sony. The two Philips, the Grundig and the Blaupunkt have *exactly* the same external aperture dimensions, and the Sony is the same width, but 0.5 mm taller. The empeg sled is definitely the odd one out in this bunch, as it is shallower. Has anyone else experienced this?

I ended up binding the empeg sled with tape to increase the external dimensions so it would fit the dash aperture, but while this made it a better fit, it had the effect of effectively reducing the flange's depth, and therefore it's ability to "grip" the dashboard properly. A less than satisfactory installation, I'm afraid. Ideally, the sled dimensions should be changed slightly if my less than scientific survey is anything to go by; unforch, I don't have access to the DIN standard definitions for car devices, so I can't argue this point with any weight. If the aperture height was increased by 1.5 millimetres, this would also require the "bumps" that locate and grip the head unit when inserted to be punched in deeper by 0.75mm.

A couple of other small gripes; when inserted in the sled, the facia of the empeg doesn't cover the sled flange, leaving the top and bottom edges of the flange visible (the sides of the sled are nicely covered). Ideally, the empeg faceplate could do with being extended slightly in depth, by about 3mm.

Finally, the handle; it is machined with square section. At the point where it pivots on the unit, the square section cuts into the facia when it is opened, which is at that point *radiused*, rather than square. A small niggle; either the handle section at this point should be radiused to match the profile of the facia panel's cut, or the panel should be square cut to a more generous dimension to clear the handle when open.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#5188 - 14/09/1999 03:03 Re: Sled dimensions [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
The sled is the same size as my JVC, my Clarion and my Kenwood.. These in turn are the same size as every other head unit I've installed. I'm sure there is a pattern here somewhere..

However, as I've mentioned in another thread, the empeg is a bit too snug a fit into the sled, and it's scraping the warrenty stickers off...

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)

#5189 - 14/09/1999 04:25 Re: Sled dimensions [Re: schofiel]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
This is vey strange - the empeg sled is exactly the same size as my Clarion & Panasonic mounting kits.

It it was 1.5mm taller it wouldn't fit into my CRX - this is *very* tight on dimensions.

At some point, slots did get smaller (vertically) - on a 1985 CRX the slot is the right width but about 3mm too tall.

Hugo

#5190 - 14/09/1999 05:32 Re: Sled dimensions [Re: Jazzwire]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Yup, it's happening on mine too. I am a tad worried that it would look (if Rob took the hard line ;^) as if I have opened the case. I mentioned very early on after I got mine that the stickers were scraping; my suggestion was to use flat-head countersunk screws uniformly on the case, and place the stickers over the heads of the screws on the sides of the case instead.

#5191 - 14/09/1999 05:36 Re: Sled dimensions [Re: altman]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Well, I confess, it wasn't a very scientific or exhaustive comparison, just me sat with a ruler in the car with the various sleds in hand. Mind you though, your comment that the slot sizes have changed could be relevant - all the sleds I have to hand are relatively old (between 5-10 years) except the Philips RC629 sled in the Renault which is only a year or so old. that is a pretty sloppy fit in the console, and there is a support bracket in the back to bolt on to to stop things flopping about.

Dunno, is there actually an accepted, DIN size then?

#5192 - 14/09/1999 07:04 Re: Sled dimensions [Re: schofiel]
Jazzwire
addict

Loc: Guernsey
Yeah, that sounds like a much better solution. =)

Jazz
(List 112, S/N 00030, 4 gig blue)
Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)