Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5210 - 28/09/1999 13:53 Installation Recommendations please- Nissan Pathfinder SE 97
FallLine
new poster

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Hello, I recently ordered an empeg (waiting for it to arrive). I drive a Nissan Pathfinder 97 and I live in the US. While I'm reasonably technically competent, I'm inexperienced with car stereos. Am I correct in assuming that I need a seperate amp? If so, what kind of amp would you recommend? Are there "reciever style" amps (by this I mean, installed in the second slot with maybe a tape or CD player -- i'd rather not have an amp and wires dangling around my car). Would you recommend a professional installation? If so, what do need to tell the installers (i've heard some problems with RF interference and what not -- but I'm not sure if I've heard all the pertinant ones). If there is a page which sort of condences all this information, that a reasonably intelligent person can figure out, please point me to it!

Thank You
- Fall

#5211 - 28/09/1999 14:47 Re: Installation Recommendations please- Nissan Pathfinder SE 97 [Re: FallLine]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
You can hook an empeg up to another head unit - Steve, one of the empeg directors, finally got his empeg fitted to his Volvo estate last week - he has a Sony CD head unit (I can't remember which one, but it's a basic single CD+RDS tuner) which provides his amplification. The empeg is hooked up via a Sony CD changer bus adaptor - this plugs into the head unit and allows a twin-RCA aux signal to be fed into the head unit.

I *think* kenwood do similar bus adaptors for their systems too: Alpine definitely do.

Hugo
(Who has stolen Steve's sony-stalk controller and almost has it wired to the empeg's serial port...)

#5212 - 29/09/1999 06:36 Re: Installation Recommendations please- Nissan Pathfinder SE 97 [Re: altman]
Cambscar
journeyman

Loc: Cambridge, UK
I *think* kenwood do similar bus adaptors for their systems too: Alpine definitely do.

Kenwood do offer an adaptor, for any of the later CD changer capable units, but it's a bit primitive. Alpine, as you say, also offer one, but you *have to* use it with an Ai-Net source unit, and without getting into modifying stuff, you also need a CD changer in-line. Pioneer also do one for the P series units, but they're all but impossible to get hold of in the UK right now, hence the fact we couldn't offer Steve the Pioneer option we originally suggested.

Who has stolen Steve's sony-stalk controller and almost has it wired to the empeg's serial port...

Wondered how long it'd be before someone tried that one :-)
Dominic

Cambridge Car Audio
http://www.cambscaraudio.co.uk