Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#52300 - 28/12/2001 10:46 Digital Camcorders
craigelliott
new poster

Loc: Boothwyn, PA
My friend, who is a doctor, asked me to do a little research to find the BEST digital camera for him. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Canon XL1... but I don't have a clue what features to look for. He wants the best for the money.

Also, he wants a unit that will allow him to play mini DV tapes directly to his HDTV as well as dub them to VHS... any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

#52301 - 28/12/2001 12:03 Re: Digital Camcorders [Re: craigelliott]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Well, any camcorder will display on a TV. I'm not sure about HDTV because I have no experience with them.

Does he want the smallest size possible? Then get the JVC (I forget the model). I was looking at it and it would be the camcorder I'd get, but I was just looking for size. There may be some features he wants that aren't on it.

The Sony units that sit on the Cnet top 5 are nice, too.

Now that I see which one the XL1 is, I'm guessing he doesn't want small! That's a monster, but looks nice. I can't speak to that range at all (I was just looking at compact styles). Sorry.

#52302 - 28/12/2001 12:23 Re: Digital Camcorders [Re: craigelliott]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Does he expect to get HDTV native signals from his camcorder? That is, does he expect it to have 720 or 1080 lines of resolution? If so, I don't think that there are any consumer products available that will do that. However, it doesn't look like the XL1 is really consumer-oriented, either, but it would still help us to know.