Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5452 - 27/04/2000 14:38 Carpet Dyeing
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Ok, this is not exactly empeg related, but I know there are a lot of detail crazy car people in this lot so I'm going to pose this question. I'm looking into dyeing my interior carpet black. Does anyone know how I should start ?? Ideally there would be a shop that specializes in doing this sort of work, but I don't know where to look! Anybody? Anyone? I'm in the Bay Area in California.

Calvin

#5453 - 27/04/2000 14:53 Re: Carpet Dyeing [Re: eternalsun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm looking into dyeing my interior carpet black.

I have no experience with anything like this, but just from thinking about it for a minute, I've come to a couple conclusions. Take these with a grain of salt, but...

1) Most carpets, especially auto carpets, are made of textiles that are designed to resist staining, so dyeing them would be tough.

2) If you were going to dye the carpets, you'd have to remove them from the vehicle in order to perform the procedure.

3) If you're going to remove the carpets anyway, why not just cut new black carpets to the same shape? Probably cheaper and easier than buying dye. It'd give you brand new carpets as well as giving you a chance to put in thicker padding or a layer of dynamat if you wanted.

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144