Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56535 - 08/01/2002 12:35 CSS
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Does anyone know how, using CSS, to decrease the damn amount of space a heading tag takes up?? I don't want the space of like 2 breaks taken up. I want the header to line up like normal text and NOT make an extra space for its self.

Anyone know how?

#56536 - 08/01/2002 13:29 Re: CSS [Re: Dignan]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Simply apply a style with "margin-bottom" equal to zero.

#56537 - 08/01/2002 13:50 Re: CSS [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Thanks a lot, I completely forgot about the margin attributes! Man, you really can do anything with this stuff. The only tough part is converting my tag-filled site to use CSS

#56538 - 08/01/2002 21:01 Re: CSS [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Might you know the secret for creating effects for the mouse as well? Is it CSS or something else? I want to be able to change colors for the mouse cursor as well.

#56539 - 09/01/2002 00:42 Re: CSS [Re: Dignan]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I have a feeling it's something else. CSS should only affect the look of the page as it is rendered.

I'll look around for some css tools if you like

edit:
ah, here it is. western civilization produces style master which enables easy style sheet construction, editing and inclusion in html. Pretty much all the functions in html 4 in most OS's.

Edited by muzza (09/01/2002 00:49)

#56540 - 09/01/2002 00:51 Re: CSS [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

/me climbs up onto the soap box.

As a web developer, you are assigned a certain space on my machines. I open a page, and you get the window, whatever size it may be. You can do whatever you want in your space, but leave my space and things alone. Don't resize yourself without asking. Don't touch my status bar unless it's to put a status message there. Don't go full screen without permission. And don't change my mouse.

/me gets off the box

This was one of the best things my old boss taught me when I had a web design job a few years back. And following them definitly ensures that a user dosen't get annoyed.

#56541 - 09/01/2002 01:03 Re: CSS [Re: drakino]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
And don't change my mouse.

I'll go further there and say thatI dont want clever java apps to do anything to the mouse unless it is actually useful, like the tfabris button guide. I once went to a site that had a little java app that followed the mouse with a pulsating circle of stars. Kinda neat unless you want to point to anything on the site. The computer would slow down and usually crash with the load.

#56542 - 09/01/2002 07:28 Re: CSS [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I understand your concerns. Don't worry, I'm not an invasive person. I'd never make a popup to make my page your homepage or something like that. I hate those. I try to design my site as a person who surfs the web constantly. I have stumbled on enough completely invasive web pages to know what's annoying.

My reason for wanting to change the mouse are mainly stylistic. I like having control over the look and color of my site, so much so that I've been spending a hell of a lot of time just going through and converting all my pages to use CSS instead of tags everywhere. I hate those mouse-following effects that people use. I purely want to change its color, and only subtly. I have been to pages that do this and it doesn't bother me a bit when it's tastefully done.

And really, it doesnt' matter all that much. The only people coming to my site are people I know. I doubt anyone who didn't know me would want to come to my site, it would bore them to death!

#56543 - 09/01/2002 13:13 Re: CSS [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Um, after much research, it looks like you're not going to have much choice in the future. CSS2, supported by the newer browsers has support for exactly what I'm talking about. I am, however, trying to get it to work for older browsers too (well, 5.5 at least).

ps-why is the text two different sizes in my last post? Is anyone else getting that?

#56544 - 09/01/2002 13:19 Re: CSS [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

More the reason to support a browser that allows the user to turn these things off

And the text jumped in size in your post due to the attempt to display a < font > tag. Probably just an IE quirk as usual as to the reason why a blank tag would change the font.

#56545 - 09/01/2002 13:57 Re: CSS [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Well, I don't see why this is so horrible to you, as it's about the same as loading an image on a web page, but if that's the way you like it, so be it. I still say I've see this done tastefully and unintrusively in other site before, and I'm quite frustrated in not being able to find it.

IE6 and Netscape are supporting the CSS version of this, but I want it to work in older browsers. oh well, more searching...