Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56566 - 08/01/2002 14:29 Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Based on Loren's recommendation, I bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones. They came in today, and they are great.

They are ear-bud headphones with soft gaskets to seal them into your ear openings. This allows them to get a bass response that is much lower than any other ear-bud headphones I've ever tried.

They also block external noise quite well, so if you don't want to be disturbed while listening to the music, they are perfect. I even read one review on the web from a rock guitarist who was planning on using these as on stage monitor headphones because of this feature.

I've tried a variety of music through them and they handle everything quite well, down to the lowest notes on Crystal Method's "Vegas". The low end response seems quite smooth and flat, surprising for earbuds this size.

I have not yet tried connecting them directly to the empeg's line-out jacks because I don't have the correct adapter with me to try it.

I purchased my pair from http://www.etronics.com if anyone is interested.

#56567 - 08/01/2002 16:36 Re: Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones [Re: tfabris]
grgcombs
addict

Loc: Dallas, TX
For over the ear headphones, I've got a recommendation that will make you wet your pants.

Sennheiser HD500 ... they're not the top or the bottom of the line but I tell you, for the sound, they should cost double what they do. I've had mine about a year and I couldn't be any happier with them. Full solid sound thoughout the audible range.

I'll pass on this sony recommendation to the wife ... she's been looking for a replacement for her cheap walkman earbuds she's had since junior high. We just got her a Creative Labs jukebox and those old phones sound like crap with it. The headphones they send with that thing sound worse, if you can believe it.

Greg

#56568 - 08/01/2002 17:25 Re: Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Awesome, glad you like them! Pretty surprising bass eh?

I hooked them straight to the empeg line outs and they worked pretty well... though they did seem sort of tinny to me. When you get a chance to try it let me know if you experienced the same thing or if i was just hearing things.

#56569 - 08/01/2002 17:28 Re: Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones [Re: loren]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Slightly tinny output is probably par for the course when you are driving headphones directly off of the line outs. I think that's going to happen with any pair of earbuds running off the line outs of any device.

Creating an EQ preset for this purpose is probably the best bet.

#56570 - 08/01/2002 20:54 Re: Sony MDR-EX70LP headphones [Re: tfabris]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
or an amplifier

Matt