Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5655 - 17/02/2000 11:47 Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk
Big John

Loc: Hants, UK.
Hi,

Just completed a small project today, to interface my installed Empeg (Peugeot 306) to it's original steering column audio select stick (I really want this facility back!).

It uses a PIC uMPU to interface to the RS232 port and sends ASCII commands to set volume and track skip/fast_forward etc.

If menu commands are added to the Kernel, then I could make use of these as well.

Should be installing it this weekend, drop me a mail if you're interested in sharing the project/code etc.

Regards,

[email protected]

----------------------------------
John, (S/No 0114, 20G)
[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#5656 - 17/02/2000 12:10 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: Big John]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA

I am very interested in knowing how you went about this. I have a friend who's got a Dodge truck with radio buttons built into the steering wheel, and we also envisioned controlling the Empeg via its serial plug in the same way you did.

My friend doesn't have an Empeg yet (he intends to buy a Mark 2 when they become available), but he wants the steering-wheel-button functionality when he does.

He works at a high-tech company that manufactures RS-232 and -485 controlled audio routers, so he has access to any necessary parts/expertise.

What can you tell me about the project?

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.

#5657 - 21/02/2000 10:21 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: Big John]
Big John

Hi,

I've set up a page detailing my Empeg projects & installation, give it a day to come live and check it out (unless you're on the Demon proxy).

http://www.bjnet.demon.co.uk/Empeg/Empeg.htm

Excuse the layout, it's been a learning exercise!

Regards,

----------------------------------
John, (S/No 0114, 20G)
[color:yellow]_________________________________________John, (MK1 #114-20G, MK2 #15-36G).</font color=yellow>

#5658 - 08/04/2000 12:31 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: Big John]
mcdaniel
new poster

Loc: So. California, USA
I want to hook a Mk2 to my controls in
an S2000 (Honda). I am totally
electronic literate, but I am curious about
what off-the shelf hardware you used to
make your button->RS-232 adapter and
how the RS-232 connection worked with the Empeg.
Is the RS-232 available on the Mk1 in-car
wiring loom???

#5659 - 08/04/2000 17:26 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: mcdaniel]
Big John

Hi,

In reply to:

I want to hook a Mk2 to my controls in an S2000 (Honda). I am totally electronic literate, but I am curious about what off-the shelf hardware you used to make your button->RS-232 adapter and how the RS-232 connection worked with the Empeg.

Is the RS-232 available on the Mk1 in-car wiring loom???

For a detailed explaination, check out my web page, url on my previous posting. Basically, the empeg has a general purpose RS232 port which is available as a floating cable when docked in the sled and on the unit as a connector when not. Stick actions on the car are translated into RS232 character strings via the microprocessor interface and sent off to the empeg.

Regards,

#5660 - 26/05/2000 09:27 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: tfabris]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Check out the PAC website at: http://www.go2pac.com/news.htm

They have pre-assembled (VERY NICE) equipment that will interface your steering wheel controls to ANY aftermarket stereo (including Empeg) that can use an IR remote (almost any new stereo)

#5661 - 26/05/2000 09:43 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: ccrobin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, we've discussed those particular interfaces elsewhere on this BBS.

Those PAC products seems to be made only for certain American cars, though. (But I'll bet you could hack the wiring if you were tricky.)

Do you know anything more about the PAC products? Do they allow you to re-map different buttons to different IR commands?

#5662 - 26/05/2000 11:16 Re: Interfacing to an existing Peugeot Audio stalk [Re: tfabris]
ccrobin
stranger

Loc: Minnesota, USA
To my knowledge they do not. I have just sent for their catalog and am possibly going to start distributing their products. I'll post whatever I learn about them.

:)