Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#56760 - 08/01/2002 22:40 GPS question.
Chao

I may be getting a job driving around town where i'm not as familiar (no, not the damn pizza boy :P ) and was wondering what others thought of the different GPS solutions out there, dedicated or with the iPaq.

Somebody mentioned Travroute Pocket Co-Pilot which sounds nice, but are there any better ones out there?

#56761 - 12/01/2002 19:44 Re: GPS question. [Re: Chao]
smu
old hand

Loc: Germany (Ruhrgebiet)
Hi.

Check out PalmTop/TomTom at http://www.palmtop.nl. Their StreetPlanner/CityMaps application is pretty good (as is RoutePlanner/Route).

cu,
sven

#56762 - 13/02/2002 16:03 Re: GPS question. [Re: Chao]
Audio
stranger

Loc: Italy
Hello!
So far I've been quite satisfied with my Garmin eMap (and my laptop with Autoroute for autorouting functions). The whole setup is not that practical for short routes, though... due to the settin-up time... for the inverter, laptop, GPS... but worth the time for long and "complicated" journeys...

But hey! Before ordering my empeg this was my way of listening to mp3's as well!!! ;-)

My setup picture is here:
http://albertov.tripod.com/Albums/Deutschland/ISWI-2001/A-24.html

I'm pretty curious about the use of the empeg for map storing and route calculations... I'll try and get some more informations about it...

Bye for now,

Alberto

#56763 - 14/02/2002 13:34 Re: GPS question. [Re: Audio]
Chao

I've got a lappy too, however if I tool around town on assignment, i'm not always going to go to the nicest neighborhoods, so I'd prefer to keep my laptop (and windows) intact :P

Yes, I know that I can hide both it and my empeg, but I wanted something a little more out of sight

#56764 - 15/02/2002 20:13 Re: GPS question. [Re: Chao]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
If you have a pocket pc this might be an option for ya, around 50 bucks... I tried to look up the URL but apparently they removed it. You take a garmin tripmate (you can, or at least used to, buy them refurbished) hack them, get pocket streets or map point and BAM! you've got a cool GPS device. If your interested and can't find any info contact me at [email protected], and I'll either get the info for ya or crack mine open again (been a while) and document exactly what you have to do.

#56765 - 15/02/2002 20:16 Re: GPS question. [Re: lopan]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Oh yeah, if you have a pocket PC, you'll need a null modem cable to connect to the PPC, it's really easy and cool, but requires soldering (not hard at all.. two or three wires and thats it)