Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#5714 - 21/07/1999 02:18 I want my...
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
...PCMCIA type 3 socket to allow me to use card-based disk drives with a player,
for loading extra stuff on, or just taking a new selection with me, or whatever.

Additionally, I could use a Wavelan card to talk through the garage wall to my server.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#5715 - 21/07/1999 19:51 Re: I want my... [Re: schofiel]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
You twonk.
this is why it's removable! so you can take it around and to your computer.

#5716 - 22/07/1999 01:23 Re: I want my... [Re: muzza]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Yes, curiously enough I did realise this - or am I supposed to use the slide tray as a new toiletry, perhaps?

Did it not occur to you that with a Wavelan card in place, you can run an activity monitor to the device while it's in the car? I suppose the ideas "car alarm" or "remote locking" hadn't occured to you either?

And I suppose that the concept of "full disk" or "convenience" hadn't reached the dark, stygian blackness yet, either; putting a small collection onto a removeable disk I would have thought would be rather a *lot* quicker than serial downloads, no?

Not EVERYONE has USB, buckets of disk space, or hours to waste, sonny.

#5717 - 25/07/1999 14:00 Re: I want my... (whine and complain post) [Re: schofiel]
dmoore
journeyman

Loc: Houston, Tx, Usa
I just had to comment on this post as I am sure the empeg folks are much to dignified to respond - there is no reason to get "nasty" with them as they have been wonderfully answering questions. Maybe you should look at other units that are better designed - oh! wait - there are currently none of production quality. I think you should wait for something "better" to come out.

But - should you be at 2500 of below just let me know if I can have your slot as I think this is a wonderfully planned unit and meets the task of playing MP3's in a mobile environment wonderfully.

As for your specfic questions -
Want to monitor your car - get a LowJack/On-Star or wait for some add-on to the AutoPC for Microsoft. As Hugo said - not many people have lans and do you think that everyone has a garage or let alone a HOUSE?

If you think you have so much music you can fill up the unit then you should plan for a larger unit - for what it costs for a IBM 340mb PC Card drive you could upgrade your Empeg by ~2gb or 34 hours of music.

As for tansfer rates - I did some test calculations -
At 115200 serial rates it would take the following time to transfer 4GB of data:
578 minutes
9.6 hours
.401 days
So my best guess is that you get a USB compliant OS on your machine - but if not it's somewhat like a swimming pool - it takes forever to fill it up the first time but then you just have to "top it off" ever once in awhile with new songs.

I hope that I havn't wasted *your* time with this lengthy post.

David

#5718 - 25/07/1999 17:59 Re: I want my... (whine and complain post) [Re: dmoore]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Thanks for the post, but as I'm sure someone will come in and correct your maths at any moment, I'll do it first :)

Over serial, 4Gb would take nearly 5 days to transfer. Over USB it's take about 5 hours (currently, though we've got some tweaks to the driver which should halve this, fingers crossed). The point is, you don't do this sort of thing on a daily basis - you have a big splurge at the start to load your collection, then it's just maintenance. You don't do 4Gb a day unless your musical tastes change a lot (and remembering that 4Gb is 70 hours of music, so it'd have to be every 3 days so you could listen to the old stuff first... and you'd not have to sleep either).

Hugo

#5719 - 26/07/1999 01:27 Re: I want my... (whine and complain post) [Re: dmoore]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Hang on - let me get this right - I make a post suggesting a feature (in the correct forum), get flamed and called a twonk, and when I explain the reason why I would like the feature (without loosing my temper too much), I then get accused of Whining?

Oh boy.

Curiously enough, as a software engineer, I am able to calculate transmission rates, thanks; I just don't want to configure my main development workstation to go to yet another OS, specifically M$, which has already been stated as "incompatible" with the stuff that's on there now.

As regards my position in the queue - well, I'm quite happy at number 29. With a bit of luck, it should be here in a little while.

#5720 - 26/07/1999 09:04 Re: I want my... (whine and complain post) [Re: schofiel]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I think they thought your post was aimed at Empeg, and not the originator of the message.
-m

#5721 - 09/08/1999 19:04 Re: I want my...Other Ways of Doing It [Re: schofiel]
patrickdk
new poster

I had planned to use it for car alarm and other stuff also (like monitor temps in different parts of the car, and rpm speeds and anything else interesting)

I planned on making a driver for serial connections over USB (basically just like altman is doing with a PPP user USB driver), and then connecting it to another computer in my trunk that has gigs of space, wireless network, and gps unit connected to it.

#5722 - 10/08/1999 02:42 Re: I want my...Other Ways of Doing It [Re: patrickdk]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Yup, very similar to my ideas. I'm already along way down the road (groan) with another computer implementation specifically for info gathering in the car. It has a CANbus interface, and a heap of I/O and A/D. The intention is to look at suspension behaviour, manifold pressures, fuel delivery, etc. The car being "wired for sound" is a nice benefit, but it's not the only thing I'm interested in.

Being able to link them up was one of my first considerations; the car computer will be using USB hub capability to talk to empeg. Hugo's announcement of PPP over USB makes things seriously nice....

#5723 - 10/08/1999 06:44 Re: I want my...Other Ways of Doing It [Re: schofiel]
Dearing
addict

Loc: Florida
I thought I heard a rumor that USB can't be used while the Empeg is docked. Can we really use Serial and USB while the system is in the car?

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about being #1225."

#5724 - 12/08/1999 22:10 Re: I want my...Other Ways of Doing It [Re: Dearing]
patrickdk
new poster

Well, if that is true, all I will have to do is cut a hole into the in-dash mount system and install a usb plug into the hole I make, to make it plug into the empeg when I slide it in is all.